Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
FuKuy Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:17am
Increase periodicity and number of Greenlited batch games
I think we should have a batch of 20 approved games EACH MONTH.

What do you think?

There are still many great games that deserve an opportunity. Check out my personal selection if you please.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130921314
Last edited by FuKuy; Apr 17, 2013 @ 1:54pm
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
< >
-Z- Apr 17, 2013 @ 12:54pm 
...they just greenlit 18 games. Calm down.
oz Apr 17, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
And it wasn't nearly enough. The bulk of the selections were high profile indie titles. Developers that have no need to even go through greenlight beyond community access were among the batch. Approximately half the list were Kickstarter games. Understandable as their campaigns attract votes on greenlight, yet most are a year or two away from release.

Meanwhile you have an intriguing game like Signal Ops, one of the earliest greenlight submissions, released weeks ago on GOG.com, getting passed over for a greenlight yet again. The number of comments on its page would indicate it's been receiving solid attention & votes and it is a strong looking effort.

I noticed several old classics that have been posted for sometime and are yet to receive a greenlight: Silent Storm - one of the best turn-based tactical games of all time - or Jane Jensen's last adventure game (creator of the classic Gabriel Knight games).

It's very evident how the voting gets skewed in favor of certain titles. I hope Valve completely overhauls the system or even does away it, but in the meantime they should accelerate and increase the approval process.
Nordic Games Apr 18, 2013 @ 3:22am 
Thanks oz for your comment about Silent Storm, really appreciated. We are very proud of our Silent Storm fans here, they are continiously keeping us in Top 40-60 which is absolutely fantastic for an older title which needs to compare with all highly praised upcoming ones, kickstarter projects and so on. This game is a jewel with great metascores and we hope Valve will consider it the on the next wave although it seems that they are more keen on upcoming titles instead of chosing a title which can be sold immediately :)

Any support would be great, thanks: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93053654
-Z- Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:14am 
Originally posted by Mindwedge:
There is that, if they can keep up or even accelerate the pace. There is the issue of store limitations yet to be addressed. Is there any genre listing that goes beyond 100 titles?

And let's be clear - 18 lit is not 18 in the store.
Granted, but that will now depend on the devs to get through the next step so as to get their games into the store. It's a start, yes?

(Plus, the OP was asking for 15 per batch...after they'd released the list of 18.)
-Z- Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:21am 
Originally posted by oz:
And it wasn't nearly enough.
"Give an inch.."

It's very evident how the voting gets skewed in favor of certain titles.
So...are you surprised at all?

I hope Valve completely overhauls the system or even does away it, but in the meantime they should accelerate and increase the approval process.
There's been talk of possible plans for such. And, in the meantime, they have just done what you said they should do, but you're not pleased with them doing exactly as you said. If it's a step in what you think is the right direction, shouldn't you be celebrating more than complaining?
Skoardy Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:23am 
F2P microtransactions are the new trend
Ugh, hope not. F2P microtransactions have always been the domain of awful nickle/diming mobile and website games, and tend to carry the stink of greed/dishonesty (EA's Real Racing 3, for instance or the recent investigation by the the OFT into in-app purchases).
Skoardy Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:12am 
Well, there's a lot of discussion of that in the dev community. "Microtransactions" have been around a long time in this or that form. Some are downright bad, but we're talking about better methods now. I think this is like any other new thing. People resist it at first (I did, but I've changed my feeling about it). We did that with Steam once, remember?

Besides that, F2P is the number one anti-piracy method. And.... bought any TF2 hats lately? What were you doing?
Hats? Nope. Never. I certainly hope the type of F2P devs who peddle half-a-game don't try to co-opt the good will purely cosmetic purchases have built up.

I'm sure EA thought it was a 'better method' they were pursuing when they released a title where it'd cost you over $500 to purchase the full game. There's a stigma attached to F2P and it'll take actions, and not corporate promises or dismissals to shake it.
Skoardy Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:36am 
I guess I remain part of that vocal minority EA were dismissing when they claimed Freemium was the way forward. To be honest, I'm happy to be.

It's weird "Get with the times, Grandpa!" usually always causes people to change their mind.
LevaOpaki Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:37am 
Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage is best car combat game and still not Greenlight. And there are not enough games with cars on Steam. The process is slow and the selection should be more frequent. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93045414
wilco64256 Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by LevaOpaki:
Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage is best car combat game and still not Greenlight. And there are not enough games with cars on Steam. The process is slow and the selection should be more frequent. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93045414

While I do agree with most of your post, I'm not entirely sure where the "there are not enough games with cars on Steam" is coming from. What specifically do you mean by that?
-Z- Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:04pm 
Uh, yeah for titles that are release ready. How many is that?
Not sure. However, again, the oft citec example of Dragon's Lair shows that, for any reason, even a completed and ready-to-go game can take time to get into the store. UnEpic, too, for an example of where it might not be the dev choosing to hold off on release.

Originally posted by Zaxoth:
Yep, plus 2 software. Playclaw will be happy now.
If they keep the increase, I think more people will be happy, as it means more going through the selection process now. It's another part of the ongoing experiment of Greenlight. It may not be a complete opening of the "floodgates," but it is a widening of the "bottleneck."
Sgt.Psycho Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:14pm 
Some major reply snippage to keep this succinct...

More market share for GOG then. They're doing a great job of getting buzz on this and other services. That and they definitely have a more favorable reputation for custmer and developer relations. It's all good for GOG.

As mentioned before I (and many others) have given up on Steam approving good indie games and are buying directly from other platforms like GOG, Desura, etc. The plus is no Steamworks DRM, standalone executables (cue Steam offline mode rage) and good customer support. Steam is falling well behind, and needs to get a move on or get relegated to the also-rans like Origin.

Side note: Is this thread the beginning of a new trend - spamming the discussions with collection promos? It will be interesting to see if that's true....

Come now Mindwedge, surely you remember the heady days of October 2012? There was a new collection posted every day almost. :) This is nothing by comparison. I have been following the collection discussion threads with some interest, as the mechanic is now (imho) broken. There's just so many collections spanning wildly different themes that I find it impossible to navigate anymore, and never use them. I'd say what needs to happen is have some sort of interest/favourite tracking so you can see what is trending and what the majority of other users are voting for.

Yes, I know this will never happen, as the whole ethos of Greenlight is against trending. Oh well. Good luck to those devs who've released a good game hardly anyone knows about, or those who unwisely released too early without enough to convert us, were relegated to the downvote bin, and now languish there, ignored by the majority.

The clock's ticking - F2P microtransactions are the new trend and it makes Steamworks DRM look less and less important as the pay once model gets less market share. "Valve time" could put Steam behind the curve.
(...and...)
Besides that, F2P is the number one anti-piracy method. And.... bought any TF2 hats lately? What were you doing?

I am very, very strongly anti F2P microtransactions after a bad P2W experience, but my sister does a lot of F2P MMO, and she says the market is getting much, much better and the dodgy-dealing contenders are being slowly driven out by quality games that are inherently balanced between, and deliver value to both the players and the publisher.

As matter of fact, just yesterday I spent my first real money on TF2. I figured with some 300 (well ok, 271 hrs for the pedants) hours of playtime, the devs deserved some actual reward for their efforts.

I'm willing to make this exception, as TF2 ticks all the quality boxes for me, has a generally great, inclusive and happy community, has an astonishingly good internal balance system (how often do you hear 'OP rants'?) given the number of items, abilities and combinations thereof, and is amazingly entertaining on multiple meta-gaming levels.

I'm more than happy to pay some money from time to time to support that.

And let's be clear - 18 lit is not 18 in the store.

Yes, and as we've said many, many times, this glacial pace is what is holding Greenlight back. No wonder no-one bothers to participate, because nothing gets done. Since launch, 28 games have been Greenlit, from a pool of probably nearly 2000 (my voted queue at writing is 1282, and know many have been dropped or removed). This is a curation rate of 3.5 games per month, or an infinitesimal percentage. This makes the Public Service look like driven demons for productivity. *slow clap*

...and as mentioned previously, Greenlight is close to mathematically irrelevant anyway from a curating/marketing standpoint. As at writing, there were 3.3 Million Steam users online Not all the users, but just the ones who happened to be logged in.

How big is the Greenlight community? How representative of it the wider Steam community (and the actual market we're looking at) is it? 19638. Total. ~20000 of 3.3M (let alone the actual Steam market size) is..... *fanfare, foil showers and dancing girls/boys in gold lame swimwear*

0.6%

That's right. Less than one percent of the daily Steam user numbers, let alone the whole group. Just about two-fifths of bugger-all, and just short of sweet-FA by comparison.

You know that one crazy guy at the Superbowl, frothing at the mouth, yelling incoherently at his team? That's us. And with about the same effect.

I don't know any marketer that would bother opening an eye to bother with a demographic of less than one percent, let alone get out of bed to listen to them. Our representation doesn't even reach statistical significance[en.wikipedia.org]
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:30pm
wilco64256 Apr 18, 2013 @ 6:31pm 
To make one minor correction, 28 is the number of Greenlit *and* released games. The total number of Greenlit games is 84. Still a valid point in general though, as "Greenlit" means nothing until the game is actually in the store anyway.
Pinballwiz45b Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:27pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
To make one minor correction, 28 is the number of Greenlit *and* released games. The total number of Greenlit games is 84. Still a valid point in general though, as "Greenlit" means nothing until the game is actually in the store anyway.

Software you might add in as well. 12 more.
Delph Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:25am 
I would point out that many indie games that were accepted under the old system are still being released. The greenlight pipeline hasn't yet completely taken over from the old system just yet but as times goes on, the pipeline will pick up and a higher number of greenlight games will be released.
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:17am