Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
anyo Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:33am
Price of Games
I dont want to know, how much a game costs in the end, but i want to say/ask if you think a price of 9,99€ for a greenlight-game is too much. In my opinion such a game should not cost more than 5€. Better would it be to pack Greenlight-Games in package and sell them. Sorry for my english ;)
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
wilco64256 Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:37am 
And what specifically makes you say that price is too high just because a game is in Greenlight? There's some pretty good stuff in here that's sold for that or higher in many other locations.
anyo Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:43am 
If you want to make money or become more famous, it would be the best when you sell many games and the gamers, are happy. When the price is smaller more people will think like, "ok for this price i need to test it" or in a theme package "i like this two games" and bought a package with three games. After other like your game you can sold new games much higher.
Last edited by anyo; Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:44am
jeslyck Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:27am 
It does not help to be "famous" if you can not pay your rent. Steam advise with the data they collect what the optimal price is, it probably more accurately then the random internet guy presumptions.
Last edited by jeslyck; Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:45am
Skoardy Apr 15, 2013 @ 9:53am 
Generalising a 1000+ games to fit one pricing scheme - great idea, man. *rolleyes*
AusSkiller Apr 15, 2013 @ 5:54pm 
Originally posted by anyo:
If you want to make money or become more famous, it would be the best when you sell many games and the gamers, are happy. When the price is smaller more people will think like, "ok for this price i need to test it" or in a theme package "i like this two games" and bought a package with three games. After other like your game you can sold new games much higher.
Given Steam has frequent sales, many people will wait till a game is on sale before they buy it, sales like the daily deal also provide massive spikes in the visibility of a game. If you price the game so cheap to start with then your game will be too cheap when it's getting the most visibility during a sale and it'll be hard to make back all the money spent on development.

Also remember it costs a LOT of money to make a game if the first game doesn't make a good enough profit there will never be a second game anyway, it doesn't matter if hundreds of thousands of people like your first game, if you don't make back all the money spent on it's development and also enough profit on top of that to at least fund a large part of the second game's development then it's unlikely you can afford to make a second game.

If you think a game should be 5.00€ then it's base price should probably be 9,99€ so it can be 5.00€ during a sale when it has the highest visibility and will produce the highest number of transactions.
jeslyck Apr 16, 2013 @ 3:11am 
I will demand that my yogurt is sold at half price so they can become famous
Bloopgun Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:11pm 
I think specificly some of the tablet ports are considerably over priced. Games that cost 99 cents on a tablet don't gain value because they have been imported whole hog to pc. 9.99 is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ price point in this situation.
DIE_by_SCI-FI Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:22pm 
i think, that price of games no relevant to Greenlight it or not Grinlight. I know many "official" games, whose price high, but quality - low. In greenlight we can find many good games, for what i ready pay his prise. Sorry for english, friends.
wilco64256 Apr 16, 2013 @ 2:59pm 
Originally posted by El gato con botas:
I think specificly some of the tablet ports are considerably over priced. Games that cost 99 cents on a tablet don't gain value because they have been imported whole hog to pc. 9.99 is a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ price point in this situation.

The odd thing about that is that the reverse does seem to be true. If you port a PC game to tablet, then people expect the price to be much lower.
AusSkiller Apr 16, 2013 @ 6:50pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
The odd thing about that is that the reverse does seem to be true. If you port a PC game to tablet, then people expect the price to be much lower.
Not really that odd, people always expect/want the price to be lower because it doesn't matter to them how much it cost to make.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:33am