Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
lukep Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:34pm
Purpose of Collections?
The collections I see generally fall into one of a few categories:

1. collections with no unifying theme, no context.
Usually called something like "games I like", or "games that should be greenlit", I find these collections absolutely useless. I could just go to random games' pages and get as much out of it.

2. collections with a unifying theme, but still no context.
called things like "good RPG's" or "FPS games", these cover categories that are already listed in greenlight, so I could just search by genre instead.

3. Collections with context
These collections give reasons behind the choices, but are very rare. Mostly links to websites or youtube channels, I find them to be much more valuable than other types, as they give me more information about the games.

4. very specifically restricted collections.
These are lists like "oculus rift supported games" or "accessible games", that take a category that greenlight does not cover, and tries to collect all of the games that match the criteria. This is useful, because it is an easy way to group together categories that most people would not think of.

5. pure publicity collections
These usually have names like "elsword", "elsword is awesome", or "Black Mesa(Collection)". These do not add anything to Greenlight, and take up space that could be put to use for other collections.

With that in mind, is there anything that can be done to encourage the types I find good (#3 and #4), and discourage the bad ones (#1, #2, and #5)? Am I wrong in my assessment, either in what people find useful, or else what is available? Or am I simply looking at the whole situation wrong, and the way collections are is the way they should be?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Skoardy Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:12pm 
Originally posted by lukep:
With that in mind, is there anything that can be done to encourage the types I find good
Vote for the ones you like, I suppose. Oh, and find a way to force everyone to only like the things you like and want things the way you want them.

Otherwise, I guess you'll just have to live with it.
ND Apr 13, 2013 @ 2:52am 
Add a requirement for collections to contain a minimum of 2 games.

I think "genre" collections still have a purpose because they allow people to curate games they like within a genre, and specifically within their definition of that genre. The official filters are not that useful because people tend to mislabel/over-label their games in an effort to get as many eyes on it as possible.
Last edited by ND; Apr 13, 2013 @ 2:53am
bvguthrie Apr 13, 2013 @ 9:32am 
I definitely think collections should be required to have at least two games. Other than that, the only thing to do is downvote the collections you think are bad, such as anything with Elsword in it.
To the OP, I have made a few collections, and I suppose you would call them category #1.
The first reason I think such collections worth making is that I have voted on everything in Greenlight (I go through the new games once a week to vote on new entries), and I have given very few upvotes. Since not everyone has time to do this, I am hoping these collections will help people overwhelmed by the number of games on Greenlight. For example, I have a collection of favorited games that have waited more than six months on Greenlight, and that might have been missed by many people.
The second reason I make them is to do advertising for the games I like, in hopes that people might be influenced to vote for a game because a complete stranger said it was good. :-)
lukep Apr 13, 2013 @ 11:07am 
Re: collections requiring two games,
I think that it could work, but keep in mind that there are legitimate collections that only have one game in them (IIRC, the six-degrees-of-freedom one, Steam or Vapor Season 2, and maybe others).

@ND: I find making more-specific genres in a collection to be useful, basically for the reasons you said. "Solo First Person Adventures" and "MineBoxers" (sandboxes like Minecraft) are useful, while a collection like "Insane Horror" isn't, because it is not adding any new information.

@bvguthrie: Having gone through all of the games on greenlight gives your opinion a bit more weight than most, so this criticism doesn't apply to you as much as to others, but here it is:

The reason that many of those collections are not valuable to me is because I don't know the author's values. Are they looking for photorealistic graphics? Aesthetics? Simple, understandable, gameplay? Complex interactions? Without knowing that (and some other factors as well), I can't begin to guess how well your opinions fit with mine.

Originally posted by Skoardy:
...I guess you'll just have to live with it.
Pretty much, I guess. My plan A was to motivate a throng of like-minded people through a Discussions post, but that might not be working so well.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 13, 2013 @ 4:24pm 
Can you post a collection of collections? "these collections are useful. and not just a random habadash of games"
lukep Apr 14, 2013 @ 2:07am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Can you post a collection of collections? "these collections are useful. and not just a random habadash of games"
Yes, but IIRC it doesn't work well, for some reason. (links not clickable? I don't remember). I did that for some of the pure promotion collections earlier, but haven't maintained my collection.
Dizzard Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:04am 
I've considered making my own collection before but I always come back to "would anyone actually care?" and my answer is no.

If I can come up with some plan that people would actually care about I'll give it another go. I think I'd like a collection that was an encyclopaedia of games rather than just a list of names.

It would be handy if we could attach links to games to interviews, previews, tweets from the developers etc. It would be like having your own indie games blog within steam.
Last edited by Dizzard; Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:08am
Mister Four Apr 20, 2013 @ 10:48am 
As much as I hate to say it, I think some best collections are the collections that have actual credentials. I much rather see a collection that has something like "Destructoid approved" or "Rock Paper Scissors reviewed" or "Games on Desura/GOG" then a collection that says "Jimmy likes these games." While I do not always agree with the opinions of the video game editorial community, I do think that making a collection of games based on editorial opinion makes much more sense then simply organizing favorite games.

Don't get me wrong. I do think that there are some great collections out there that have no resume/CV quality weight. I just think that person organizing the games should have some actual weight behind his/her categorization. That weight should come from popularity of the website and quality of reviewing.

Of course, I know that there are inherent flaws with this(particularly this would discourage Steam users to explore the games tab). I'm just throwing my two cents and see where it lands. : )
Mister Four Apr 20, 2013 @ 11:28am 
: ) Maybe, but if I was going to place a game on a collection, I would make sure to add lots of quotes from varying sources as well as offer a well thought opinion.
Spydrebyte Apr 20, 2013 @ 3:52pm 
I like collections, i wish they were easier to go through, rate and down vote the publicity type ones etc. I have a collection, and its a favorites one, so category #1 according to the OP. I know for a fact that ive helped get some votes towards a few of the games on my list, and that that validates the efforts put in for me. :)

I have gone though every geenlight game and picked out the ones of most interest to me. Id never expect for anyone to vote 'because I say so' but rather, just 'here's what I liked, maybe you will to if you check it out'. Personally ive found games on geenlight due to other collections, so for me they're a good thing.
Resolute Apr 21, 2013 @ 4:22pm 
I have two collections and I use them to keep track of games I've voted for.

My first, the shorter of the two is for Games that I favourited and upvoted and represents games that I most want to buy (at the time of voting). I reorder the list each batch placing successful games to the top and the ones still needing to be Greenlit at the bottom (Both parts of the list are in Alphabetical order).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111014680

My second list, is all the games I've upvoted. Seperated into Sucessful and still awaiting approval list like the first list.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111057382

It's mostly for myself. I like to keep track of things.
Last edited by Resolute; Apr 21, 2013 @ 4:26pm
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:34pm