Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
GuVn3r Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:27am
This has probably been asked/covered elsewhere but....
Howdy!

I have a question rather than a "troll" or complaint etc.... but also a statement.

Is anyone else getting fed up/annoyed with the amass of Android/iOS ports that keep appearing on here (here being Greenlight)?

*This part IS a statement*

If I want your game, designed for a touchscreen phone, I’ll buy it on my Android/iOS/Windows Phone. Not on my PC and definitely not through Steam.

Wouldn't the Chrome Store, and similar vendors, be more up your alley if you have to try and get your game on a computer?

I know, at the end of the day, these guys are just trying to make themselves as much money as possible, and in this economic day and age, who can blame them....

But why on my precious Steam?! I love the Greenlight facility as I love indie games - It’s a fantastic way to get the small guys the same clientele as the big game developers and a real shot in the games industry.

BUT WHY ON MY PRESIOUS STEAM?!

Thanks for your time

/thread
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
wilco64256 Apr 12, 2013 @ 11:01am 
If you don't like them then vote them down and move on with your life. Some people do like some of the PC ports as not everyone has that type of smartphone.
Skoardy Apr 12, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Originally posted by GABE:
If I want your game, designed for a touchscreen phone, I’ll buy it on my Android/iOS/Windows Phone. Not on my PC and definitely not through Steam.
You've managed to post a thread where you've identified the whole point of Greenlight? If those are the types of games you wouldn't like to see make it through Greenlight, you vote them down and vote up the types of games you would like to see. Unfortunately for you, if you're outnumbered by people who would like to see those iOS/Android ports on Steam and they vote them up, they may get through. Yeah - troubling, right?

But fret not! Even if that worse case scenario happens and some iOS/Android ports do manage to get themselves greenlit, there's always one final option of... simply not buying them. Beginning to realise how completely pointless this (/)thread is now?
Last edited by Skoardy; Apr 12, 2013 @ 12:53pm
Sgt.Psycho Apr 13, 2013 @ 7:16pm 
I wouldn't mind seeing a category "Platform: Mobile" where I can list them all and downvote them en masse, like I do with Platformers, etc. No, I will not be buying them, so no point seeing them.

Would be even better if I could set up filters to auto-downvote them so I never see them, but that would be asking too much.

That said, whinging aside, it's no big deal to flip through the queue and hit the buttons. I just wish the control bar was placed above the submission so as soon as I see the screen shots/category, I can downvote and move on as fast as possible, instead of having to scroll down and find them. I've been playing (not voting) recently and it took me several hours to wade through my remaining queue (about 70 entries). Not good enough, Greenlight.
Last edited by Sgt.Psycho; Apr 13, 2013 @ 7:18pm
No Face Apr 13, 2013 @ 9:40pm 
Touch screen games lend themselves well to PC's, the mouse/touchpad can be used to the same effect as a finger on a screen. So it's natural for them to give it a shot.
Skoardy Apr 14, 2013 @ 7:49am 
Originally posted by Sgt.Psycho:
I wouldn't mind seeing a category "Platform: Mobile" where I can list them all and downvote them en masse, like I do with Platformers, etc. No, I will not be buying them, so no point seeing them.

Would be even better if I could set up filters to auto-downvote them so I never see them, but that would be asking too much.
Yeah, I'm sure developers would never then avoid adding their mobile ports to that category as to avoid blanket downvotes from people with that particular bias.
Sgt.Psycho Apr 16, 2013 @ 9:26pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Yeah, I'm sure developers would never then avoid adding their mobile ports to that category as to avoid blanket downvotes from people with that particular bias.

Is cool, I then go on a 'Report: Miscategorised' rampage until, a) Devs stop gaming the system, or, b) I get kicked from the community. ;)

Refusing to categorise your game because people can then find it and downvote (read: not vote for) it counts as fraud, imho.
Skoardy Apr 17, 2013 @ 3:47am 
Well, good luck on your "Hey, can you add an otherwise pointless category simply so I can blindly dismiss an entire chunk of games without even bothering to view them?" crusade. Valve will probably get right on that.
Mossy Rock Apr 17, 2013 @ 7:42am 
I absolutely HATE gaming on my iPhone (it doesn't help that it is an old 3G) and will not be buying any tablets because they're freaking useless compared to a real laptop or desktop.

As a result I'm really excited when I see the GOOD mobile games brought over to the PC.
C0untzer0 Apr 17, 2013 @ 8:44am 
Originally posted by Mossy Rock:
I absolutely HATE gaming on my iPhone (it doesn't help that it is an old 3G) and will not be buying any tablets because they're freaking useless compared to a real laptop or desktop.

As a result I'm really excited when I see the GOOD mobile games brought over to the PC.
There ya go! As a proud owner of a Nokia 8510 I think a mobile game is "Snake". If nobody tells me "it's a mobile port" I might be stuck voting for a game on it's own merits!
Mossy has a right to vote for these games, but he's unlikely to ever see one voted through.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 17, 2013 @ 8:52am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
There ya go! As a proud owner of a Nokia 8510 I think a mobile game is "Snake".
Snake Rocks!
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 12, 2013 @ 9:27am