Steam Greenlight
Please lower the bar to entry.
It has been several many months. And many of the best games that customers desperately desire are still in the "limbo" of Greenlight.

After several months, La-Mulana finally came through. Of which I am very grateful for. I already have it ordered.

Still yet many great games and cult classics are still stuck and I worry they may take years or even never get Greenlit. This is extremely disappointing for many people and is both customer and developer unfriendly.

I could mention a bunch of names of various well established graming franchises and companies that are still going through this process.

Instead, I'd rather just jump to a solution. It seems that perhaps the process is over "curated". Too few games go through. I'd argue that perhaps the solution is simply to release more games more often and make customers happy. It is clear that customers want to play more games than are Greenlit. And tastes differ.

The way to make both parties happy is to release more and allow the customers to decide what they wish to buy. Because while many worry that doing so might allow too many poor games to slip through, what Greenlight is currently suffering from, is that good games are not slipping through often enough.

I implore anyone at Valve invovled in Greenlight, to please reconsider your release schedule.
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 26 comentarios
wilco64256 3 ABR 2013 a las 20:22 
Yeah since Greenlight launched on August 30, I have bought more total games from other outlets than have been released via Greenlight. It's not like they're in any danger of oversaturating the market.
Delph 3 ABR 2013 a las 21:30 
They release the same number of games as pre greenlight. I imagine that Valve wants to keep the numbers low as having an entry on the new releases tab is a major sales boost for any game and the more games they release, the less time they spend on that tab. I certainly think they could increase the amount somewhat - maybe 15-20 games per release or shorter times between greenlighting new sets but its not that bad at the moment
jeslyck 4 ABR 2013 a las 3:42 
having an indie Steam page could be a solution
C0untzer0 4 ABR 2013 a las 3:52 
Publicado originalmente por jeslyck:
having an indie Steam page could be a solution
As in, the way they introduced the "Early Access", that's an interesting idea.
Skoardy 4 ABR 2013 a las 9:34 
OP - are any of the games you think deserve to be rushed through actually in the running?
That Guy 4 ABR 2013 a las 14:26 
Publicado originalmente por wilco64256:
Yeah since Greenlight launched on August 30, I have bought more total games from other outlets than have been released via Greenlight. It's not like they're in any danger of oversaturating the market.

yes they are. if you lower the bar people will get there face book friends to get abunch of low end swf type games to be distributed on steam and clog the featured and sale listings and it would never end
wilco64256 4 ABR 2013 a las 17:25 
Publicado originalmente por NoOne:
Publicado originalmente por wilco64256:

yes they are. if you lower the bar people will get there face book friends to get abunch of low end swf type games to be distributed on steam and clog the featured and sale listings and it would never end

So far the average is four games released from Greenlight per month. They could easily double or triple that without coming anywhere near the situation you described.
Little Game Fairy 4 ABR 2013 a las 19:47 
Publicado originalmente por Skoardy:
OP - are any of the games you think deserve to be rushed through actually in the running?
Yes, quite certainly so.

There are multiple games ready or very close to ready to being released that have been sitting in Greenlight for months with hundreds of comments and lots of support.
Adelion 5 ABR 2013 a las 2:02 
I think the reason for the slow rate of greenlit titles is another one: Since it seems that greenlight is at the moment a complete relative system theoretically every game could be greenlit if they gater just one vote. For example if all 1000 games are greenlit and in the greenlight section is just one game of awful quality it would automatically get greenlit with this one vote since there is no alternative.
So Valve has to prevent this situation and therefore they have to choose a rate that is clearly UNDER the amount of submitted games, not now or at the beginning in the long run like in 5 years. Otherwise getting into Steam is just a question of time and I dont know if this would be in the interest of the community or Valve.
Dont know if this is really the reason but it would atleast make some sense.
WaaghMan 5 ABR 2013 a las 6:31 
Publicado originalmente por Adelion:
I think the reason for the slow rate of greenlit titles is another one: Since it seems that greenlight is at the moment a complete relative system theoretically every game could be greenlit if they gater just one vote. For example if all 1000 games are greenlit and in the greenlight section is just one game of awful quality it would automatically get greenlit with this one vote since there is no alternative.
So Valve has to prevent this situation and therefore they have to choose a rate that is clearly UNDER the amount of submitted games, not now or at the beginning in the long run like in 5 years. Otherwise getting into Steam is just a question of time and I dont know if this would be in the interest of the community or Valve.
Dont know if this is really the reason but it would atleast make some sense.

You can just compare the rate of new games being added to Greenlight vs. the rate of approval:

Games greenlit on last batch (02/26): 10
Games added to Greenlight since last batch: 110.
Extrapolate that amount to April 17th: 110 * 50/38 = 144.

So, ~144 games are submitted to Greenlight for every 10 games that get approved. Your scenario is very unlikely to happen.
Skoardy 5 ABR 2013 a las 14:10 
Publicado originalmente por ukkosfaith:
Yes, quite certainly so.

There are multiple games ready or very close to ready to being released that have been sitting in Greenlight for months with hundreds of comments and lots of support.
Sorry, I don't mean 'close to being released', I mean games that actually have a chance - that are high in the voting charts. Not ones that have been languishing.
Little Game Fairy 5 ABR 2013 a las 16:29 
That's entirely the problem. Good games that people want are "languishing."

Hundreds and thousands of customers are being forced to buy games elsewhere because the Greenlight process is problematically slow and letting through only a tiny portion of the content that customers want.

A lot of folks on Greenlight have had to direct their customers to other sites like Desura and GamersGate. And many customers are choosing to take their business elsewhere. And buy less games through Steam in general possibly as a consequence.
Skoardy 6 ABR 2013 a las 6:18 
It's a slow process but I don't see 'good games that people want' languishing. Good games that enough people want are slowly moving up the charts and eventually getting greenlit. Another batch on the 17th. Now, games that merely some people want but not enough to push them up the chart are languishing but that's just a matter of lack of votes.
Parody Games 6 ABR 2013 a las 6:19 
Perhaps a better title for the thread would be Approve More Games Per Month? :)
Little Game Fairy 6 ABR 2013 a las 20:30 
It's a slow process but I don't see 'good games that people want' languishing. Good games that enough people want are slowly moving up the charts and eventually getting greenlit.
Good games are taking too long to get Greenlit.

The renouned Wayforward still has been left with Shantae: Risky's Revenge sitting on Greenlight. I fear this will likely make Wayforward give less consideration to the idea of putting DuckTales on Steam. And thus another great game will stay console exclusive.

Just because a game doesn't have enough votes to get in the top 10 each month does not mean that people don't want it
Última edición por Little Game Fairy; 6 ABR 2013 a las 20:48
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 26 comentarios
Por página: 1530 50

Publicado el: 3 ABR 2013 a las 17:52