Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Minuteman Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:37am
Greenlight Clichés
After browsing through various greenlight "games" you'll soon start to notice something: it's full of clichés!

"A cliché or cliche is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has become overused to the point of losing its original meaning, or effect, and even, to the point of being trite or irritating, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel."
Says Wikipedia.

I've been trying to list the most common features that every game seems to have.

- Puzzles! They are literally everywhere, every respectable game needs some puzzle solving doesn't it? Even better if it's a physics based, it's like getting two birds with one stone.

-Platformers! Everyone was born during the 2d era, therefore everyone likes them!

- 8-bit pixel blah blah... One Word: Nostalgia

- Zombies... This speaks for itself

- Tower Defense "I've got an original idea for a game!" "Uh? Really?" "Yea its about building towers to defend something from hordes of enemies! Its such a fresh idea!"

- Psychological, poetic, emotive, cryptic... Pretentious and vague, lacking both gameplay and an actual story, only for deep people.

- RPG / RPG Elements: Beign able to change a skill, or to choose an axe instead of a sword DON'T make your game a great role playing experience!

- Inspired by... Zelda and Castlevania! Sometimes is a more general "great 80s games"

- Roguelike: this needs to be in the description of your game! Why? i Dunno, it's everywhere now so you might aswell add it

You can try various combinations like the 8-bit puzzle platformer inspired by SNES classics that explores deep and psychological themes!
Or the tower defense vs zombies with RPG elements!

Stereotypes, cliches, call them however you want, the fact is most (i didn't say ALL) GL games are the same thing over and over, which is kind of sad.

This is just my opinion, i.e. subjective and i'm not trying to pass this as the only truth!
I'm really curious to hear others' opinions on the matter.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Ragnarök Mar 25, 2013 @ 7:09am 
Everything has already been done. It's like the flavour of chicken, everybody likes it despite eating it for our entire lives, you'd think we'd be bored of it, but no. Bad analogy but whatever, I just woke up.
ElementX Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:11pm 
I don't find 8-bit nostalgic, I find it annoying. I'm 32, I grew up with NES and Sega Master System but those days are gone and 8-bit should be as well. I think there are too many indie developers trying to ride the "nostalgic" wave. Half the time I think they are too lazy to do better graphics so they go 8-bit and finish it in a fraction of the time.
C0untzer0 Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:15pm 
I can't believe you missed out "You wake up and can't remember who or where you are"
But seriously, if you think it's bad in here, you should see some of the real indie sites...
Minuteman Mar 27, 2013 @ 5:25pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
I can't believe you missed out "You wake up and can't remember who or where you are"

It's a sub category of the pretentious psychological stuff, i think.

Originally posted by C0untzer0:
But seriously, if you think it's bad in here, you should see some of the real indie sites...

I don't dare to wander so far...
jeslyck Mar 28, 2013 @ 5:11am 
So you are one of those types who complain that there is nothing new, without having one original idea themselves. I have a few new food recipes for you ice cream with meat flavors and stuffed duck with chocolate hmmmmm right?. Occasionally there will be new food recipes that I like, but I still eat ice cream and meat but not together. Conclusion Most ideas are crap and ice cream and meat still sell well.
Last edited by jeslyck; Mar 28, 2013 @ 5:16am
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:37am