Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 17, 2013 @ 11:20pm
Is a Source-Based Fan-Fiction Game OK for Greenlight?
I have a Source-Based Fan-Fiction MMORPG concept that's been three years in the making now called "The Source Heart Chronicles." I've been doing the writing; I need artists, map/level designers, LUA programmers, model makers, the whole enchilada. But every time I've attempted to recruit prospects to the project, I've been getting the same response: "Send it to Valve! They've GOT to see it!"

A friend of mine recently suggested I turn the concept in to Greenlight to see if I could get a development group together. The issue I have with that is that this is basicall a Fan-fiction of all the Source Games combined in a way that shatters the Fourth Wall and drags Valve and their Community in to a roller coaster ride. Because of this, the main thing I'm concerned about is this line here:

"Additionally, you agree not to post any item to Greenlight that contains the following:
"...Games or software using copyrighted material such as assets or intellectual property without permission from the owner."

The other concern is that I need to recruit people to the project and the rules state that I can't do soliciting, which is basically what I would need to do to get a group, right?

Here is the Overview for what I have Planned: Source Heart Chronicles Overview

And this diagram to show you what the Source Realms are:
Source Realms Diagram[i14.photobucket.com]

As you can see, it is not just a mod; it's a full scale fan-fiction game that is going to involve all the Source Characters, The Valve Team, and ultimately us; yes, it's my strange way of honoring Gabe Newell and his colleagues for all they've done for us, and in some odd way, the Community itself, and I would hate to step on anyone's toes for something that is supposed to be a tribute. That being said, is this Greenlight material, or am I better off just posting it here to the forums somewhere so I can avoid the possibility of being banned from Greenlight?

Forgive me if I sound naive or stupid; this has been a labor of love and I really want to get on the right path for it and NOT mess up. Any tips would be much appreciated!
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
leedonald54 Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:49am 
You may not relise is that iwhat happened to Win 8 , in other hands The right hand does not what the other hand is doing .
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 1:17am 
I don't understand. I didn't mention Windows 8 at all in this post; what does Windows 8 have to do with it?
Kotomine Kirei Mar 18, 2013 @ 1:44am 
Originally posted by ЯтR Sgt. Cougarmint:
I don't understand. I didn't mention Windows 8 at all in this post; what does Windows 8 have to do with it?

He has a point.

EDIT: Let me explain sgt

I shall translate

..You know though, thats what happened to windows 8, Microsoft left it to other people to create and it just didnt turn out to well, I don't think valve would appreciate you changing any sort of canon and would prefer if they just did it themselves.
Parody Games Mar 18, 2013 @ 5:09am 
Since you don't own the IP/characters you can't legally sell the game. If you want to pay the $100 to try to give it away for free on Greenlight go ahead. I don't think Steam/Valve will care that much... they let Black Mesa get approved after all.
Skoardy Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:08am 
Did the Black Mesa team seek permission though?

It's always best to find out if it's okay first before a cease & desist letter means you have to throw months of work away. If it's fine, it's still going to be fine when you ask. If it's not fine, sticking your fingers in your ears now isn't going to help the situation.
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:18am 
That's what I thought; So it would NOT be OK for greenlight. Thanks for clarifying it for me. Where would it be best to post it then since it isn't going to be anything more than a fan-fiction based game? I really would like Valve to see it to be honest.
C0untzer0 Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:24am 
I think you've missed the point. If you're going to get sued, it doesn't matter WHERE you post it, what matters is IF you post it somewhere.
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:27am 
*shakes head* Valve rarely sues anyone for fan-fictions; as a matter of fact it was a fan-fiction pic that helped create the administrator from TF2. But, again, I see your point.

Does anyone know the best email to send it to, then?
C0untzer0 Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:31am 
there's rarely a train on the track, but it's still not a good move to cross it without looking.
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:32am 
<nod> I understand. Thank you all for your help. I didn't mean to cause trouble.
leedonald54 Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
NO trouble it is better to ask ,and you did the right thing !
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
Yes it is. I avoided a potential firestorm apparently. Please tell me the best way to send my idea. What email would be best, or should I mail it physically?
leedonald54 Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:23pm 
On the Win 8 is they are not tuch your perrsanal stuff and the have changed my computer three times . I set my mouse and it was changed after updates .
leedonald54 Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:26pm 
s
Some of things that I put in may not reflect at the time , lookout down the road .and put them som of the post , sorry
[TS♥] Cougarmint Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:29pm 
Hey, I understand. Sometimes it's the oddest posts that have the deepest meaning.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 17, 2013 @ 11:20pm