The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
NOOG Oct 19, 2013 @ 5:02am
Game crashes ever since mysterious Dawnguard upload
Ever since this mysterious Dawnguard upload I get to play between 5-20mins...game freezes with an error sound. Have to go to task manager to close program. This happens whether i"m in a Dawnguard area or not. Is anone else having this issue.

I have systematically unsubcribed from mods...etc without any effect on this.

Any help would be great.
Last edited by NOOG; Oct 19, 2013 @ 5:03am
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
jjb-54 1 Oct 19, 2013 @ 9:38am 
"Upload" or do you mean "Download"?

It sounds like you have a MOD that is in conflict and thus crashes.
NOOG Oct 19, 2013 @ 7:58pm 
Thanks... but i have tried without any mods at all, without any effect.

And I meant upload because it wasn't downloaded by me it was put there by Steam without me knowing. So, "downloading' in the traditional sense, doesn't really apply.
jjb-54 1 Oct 19, 2013 @ 9:17pm 
What is the name of the 'mysterious' file?

I'm asking because of your phrasing:

- DOWNLOAD means what you GET from STEAM to your computer.

- UPLOAD is what you GIVE to STEAM from your computer.

So I'm guessing you mean a file that was downloaded to your computer from Steam, correct?
NOOG Oct 20, 2013 @ 7:52am 
Ooops...got that around the wrong way i guess. Yeah it was dawnguard that steam downloaded to my PC....i didn't pay for this it just appeared when I started/continued my play...found that i now had Dawnguard ( a mistake on Steam's part?) but since that time my game has been crashing...or I should say freezing....i get an error tone over the speakers it freezes and i have to cont alt delete to access task manager to shut it down. No messages as to why or 'looking for solutions' comes up. I unsubscribed to all mods and it still happens.
jjb-54 1 Oct 20, 2013 @ 8:34am 
Okay - that means a screw up on STEAMS part and that will NOT work on your computer because you do NOT have a License Key on your computer that validates that it works.

Suggestion - Un-check the Dawnguard DLC and start a clean game (new one) - and likely all will work just fine ...

But you will likely have to start over your game as it has to see it's NOT THERE - and your current Saved Game has it in the saved game.

I would also INFORM Steam with a Ticket of the issue - but do NOT expect a quick turn around - even a semi-sorta-kinda-maybe quick turn around with an answer. This is something Steam is not known for - a reasonable turn around with an answer. It likely will be MONTHS.
NOOG Oct 20, 2013 @ 10:08pm 
Cheers for that jjb!
jjb-54 1 Oct 20, 2013 @ 10:52pm 
Originally posted by NOOG:
Cheers for that jjb!

So I take it - all is good now?
NOOG Oct 21, 2013 @ 6:15am 
Originally posted by jjb-54:
Originally posted by NOOG:
Cheers for that jjb!

So I take it - all is good now?

I can't seem to get rid of it! WTF? If you have any tips on that aspect....would grateful.
jjb-54 1 Oct 21, 2013 @ 8:21am 
The problem is - it is not in your "STEAM LIBRARY" - to just "REMOVE" .. so that sucks (just a personal editorial).

Here is the problem, that I have also read is "common", as I also found it true in my case as well. Once a DLC is installed in a "Current Game" and you started a game, you cannot 'unselect/uncheck' and/or 'remove/delete' as it will cause your current SAVED GAME(S) to >NOT< work: AKA CTD (Crash To Desktop). I've yet to see any come up with a viable workaround.

So, you will have to totally start over from scratch and I do mean totally start over.

1. Fill out a ticket with Steam/Valve and do a Screen Shot of it and save to hard-drive for future proof, if/when needed. Make sure it clearly shows the "Date/Time" stamp and the problem.

2. You'll need to UNINSTALL BOTH Skyrim and Steam. (Some people I've read did not need to Uninstall Steam and some did. So your call.

3. Install Steam and Skyrim.

4. BEFORE YOU PLAY, check the DATA FILES and see if Dawnguard is there. IF it is, UN-CHECK and hit the "DELETE SELECTED" button.

UNLESS someone has a proven better solution.
NOOG Oct 25, 2013 @ 9:05pm 
Thanks jjb-54. All fixed and didn't even have start from beginning. Did it via Data Files....but it took going through it 3 times before it stopped trying to load the files I didn't want. Very strange way to do things.
jjb-54 1 Oct 26, 2013 @ 8:28am 
glad you got it figured out. :D

Happy hunting, Dovahkiin, happy hunting.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 19, 2013 @ 5:02am