Steam Greenlight
All those misplaced threads...
I'm running an experiment to see if discussion threads from games are ending up in the General GreenLight forum through a software glitch, or just misposting. If you see this in the general discussions forum, please submit a tech support ticket, as I will.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: C0untzer0; 2013. okt. 18., 4:17
< >
113/13 megjegyzés mutatása
Aha! They've added some radio buttons under the "Start a new discussion" section of greenlight titles. These buttons redirect threads posted to the General Greenlight forum or the "request a game" subforum. That's what's been happening.
Strangely these buttons move rather than copy. That seems to be a rather bad set-up as an inexperienced user is prone to misunderstand the nature of those buttons and end up wasting everybody's time, particularly their own. Let's be grown up about it and try to gently point out the problem when it next arises, eh?
Nice work C0untzer0, that certainly explains the somewhat weird game specific posts we've been seeing here lately :)
Have to say, these options to post in General/Requests while you're in a project page seem like an incredibly bad idea - beyond the obvious, the stream of off-topic posts people mistakenly think they're starting in the project discussions, people aren't 'looking' at the forum they're posting in. This means we're also going to end up with people basically replicating threads, even ones that could be current/on the first page and not even thinking to search because the option isn't present.

I can't really see what the intent/upside of adding these buttons is.
What a weird function. If you click either one of them because you are curious you can't unclick them, you have to select either reqest a game or general forum.
Why is there no option to actually post in the part you were trying to post it?
It seems you have to leave and come back to do that?
Legutóbb szerkesztette: Gorlom[Swe]; 2013. okt. 18., 4:40
It would be ok if they added a "Here, in the section you think it will be posted in" button. Too many people are tricked into thinking they have to press one or the other. (Who is it for? What person has been starting a discussion thread on a game's greenlight page and then suddenly realised "Y'know, this should really go in the request forum that I saw a while ago"?)
C0untzer0 eredeti hozzászólása:
(Who is it for? What person has been starting a discussion thread on a game's greenlight page and then suddenly realised "Y'know, this should really go in the request forum that I saw a while ago"?)
This is my thinking. I'm having trouble seeing the target audience of such a feature. Maybe I'm just not seeing it and there's an obvious advantage to people cross-posting into unseen forums from project pages.

It's not like the discussion forum is hidden away - it's got a tab as prominent as any of the others. I'd say it was far more straightforward to reach and post in than going through the discussion on a project page. If someone can see a purpose that desperately needed the UI updating to fill, I'd love to hear it.

I don't think I've ever seen a forum that encourages people to post into it without being aware of the other topics already 'running'.
You know what? I think it's for people comming to the general discussion and wanting to request a game and then spot that there is a specific place to post requests... and that those buttons presence on greenlight games discussion pages are unintended...
This was a feature recently added across all Game Hubs to prevent posting in the incorrect section. When you start a new topic you get a radio button or dropdown menu depending on the number of subforums available.

Take a look at creating a new topic in Steam Discussions for example: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/

Edit: However, if I understand what you're describing, when you attempt to create a discussion within any chosen Greenlight game discussion, it gives you the subforums available here, which is possibly not intended.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll pass this along and see what happens.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: ianskate; 2013. okt. 18., 11:25
ianskate eredeti hozzászólása:
This was a feature recently added across all Game Hubs to prevent posting in the incorrect section. When you start a new topic you get a radio button or dropdown menu depending on the number of subforums available.

Take a look at creating a new topic in Steam Discussions for example: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/

However, if I understand what you're describing, when you attempt to create a discussion within any chosen Greenlight game discussion, it gives you the subforums available here, which is not appropriate.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll pass this along.
That's it precisely. I actually started this thread from the discussion section on Spintires' entry as part of my experiment.
Thanks for getting on this one.

Gorlom, good eye.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: C0untzer0; 2013. okt. 18., 11:03
So glad to hear this was unintended.
Yes, thanks for looking into this ianskate ^^
Just got word that it should be fixed. Case closed, for now :balloonicorn:
ianskate eredeti hozzászólása:
Just got word that it should be fixed. Case closed, for now :balloonicorn:
Just looked and the buttons are gone.
Excellent! Cheers.
Legutóbb szerkesztette: C0untzer0; 2013. okt. 18., 13:32
< >