Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
martinechps Oct 11, 2013 @ 2:40pm
Should I post my dev comic on my Greenlight page?
Obviously, the game should speak for itself, but I also think it is easy to just say "No thank you" because people tend to have a quick judgment on Greenlight (and elsewhere)

Is it a good idea to push a personal connection with the audience, even if it is not directly related to the game?

*********this is the Dev comic I'm talking about****** [www.martinechapuis.net]
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Oct 11, 2013 @ 2:55pm 
It's never been tried so the only way to find out is to give it a shot.
martinechps Oct 11, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
I just don't want to bother anyone. I hope people don't think «Damn it, I'm here to vote on games...don't post your dev comic!! I don't care about that!»

but it doesn't seem to be the case, so I'll do it!
Last edited by martinechps; Oct 11, 2013 @ 2:59pm
C0untzer0 Oct 11, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
If it's only a link, it won't be too intrusive. Good luck.
-Silver the Dragon- Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:34am 
give it a try some of us do not easy downvote i realy look if a game brings new tunes of colors to the whole if i would give money for it or if it could be interresting to see on steam i take my time and never vote to fast i rather delay it till i have slept over it so give it a try i have 1200 votes behind me and i take it serious .
martinechps Oct 13, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Originally posted by Mr. Think Again !:
give it a try some of us do not easy downvote i realy look if a game brings new tunes of colors to the whole if i would give money for it or if it could be interresting to see on steam i take my time and never vote to fast i rather delay it till i have slept over it so give it a try i have 1200 votes behind me and i take it serious .

Wow, that's awesome! I'm very happy to know that there are people like you on GreenLight!
Skoardy Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:20pm 
if i would give money for it or if it could be interresting to see on steam
Only the first half of that is what Valve are asking you. Everything after your 'or' is irrelevant and shouldn't be a reason to upvote games.
martinechps Oct 13, 2013 @ 4:42pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
if i would give money for it or if it could be interresting to see on steam
Only the first half of that is what Valve are asking you. Everything after your 'or' is irrelevant and shouldn't be a reason to upvote games.

I don't understand why you think it's irrelevant. What's a bad reason to upvote games?

Gorlom[Swe] Oct 13, 2013 @ 5:06pm 
Originally posted by martinechps:
Originally posted by Skoardy:

I don't understand why you think it's irrelevant. What's a bad reason to upvote games?
To pity vote. To "be nice to others by upvoting games that they might possibly like but I myself am not interested in"
Do to the comparative nature of the greenlight system you aren't actually being nice. You're not helping games getting greenlit as much as you are blocking other games that might have more genuine votes from gettin those greenlit slots.
Giving false data like that is about the douchiest thing you can do on greenlight that isn't expressivly forbidden in the terms of serice.

Worst case senario is if a game gets greenlit soley based on pity votes and noone acctually wants to buy or play the game but it managed to somehow seem like it would appeal to hypothetical "others" (that doesn't want to buy the game eithers)
-Silver the Dragon- Oct 13, 2013 @ 7:56pm 
gorlom your right to the point that some games that come to greenlight deserve to get a chance
alone for originality even i dont play it myself if i see and i have a lot of knowledge about the mater as 35 year betatester i know which games can or not should see the Light i dont upvote games that are trash or underpar in any way that should be not nessesary to talk about here
im 58 and believe me i do know what i do.
Sgt.Psycho Oct 13, 2013 @ 9:17pm 
Sure, why not? Lots of devs update with blog updates, music twiddles, artwork, pre-vis, tweets and so forth.

As long as it's clear that that's not the actual game content I can't see any harm in it.
Gorlom[Swe] Oct 14, 2013 @ 3:10am 
gorlom your right to the point that some games that come to greenlight deserve to get a chance
alone for originality even i dont play it myself if i see and i have a lot of knowledge about the mater as 35 year betatester i know which games can or not should see the Light i dont upvote games that are trash or underpar in any way that should be not nessesary to talk about here
im 58 and believe me i do know what i do.
Those games should get their chance without voters corrupting the system and falsifying data. There is no reason to pity vote. Valve doesnt want to know which games you think should be given a chance. They want to know which games you would pay money for.
-Silver the Dragon- Oct 14, 2013 @ 4:35am 
Gorlom i dont need to justify it befor you but i use common sense if i like to see that game and would or want to buy i upvote it its so easy any kid can do that thers no doctors title needed for bottomline take it or leave it in peace i have not more to say to this point from my side and good is. thers no falsyfing Data or whatever you want to call it that what you ask from me is what i already do what you may interprete into me is alone your thing and not correct in this case .
Last edited by -Silver the Dragon-; Oct 14, 2013 @ 4:38am
Skoardy Oct 14, 2013 @ 4:40am 
You said earlier that you're upvoting games for their originality, that you wouldn't buy. That's not answering the simple question presented to you. I realise that you think you know better with your 35 years as a tester but you aren't being asked "Should this game be available on Steam?" because that information is useless to Valve. They're interested in people who'd actually consider putting their money where their mouth it. Pity votes skew that data.
martinechps Oct 14, 2013 @ 6:25am 
Mr. Think Again! is doing an amazing job. So are you Skoardy and Gorlom.

It's right to upvote something you think has quality even if it's not your style. If you can see quality in it, why can't you upvote it? That's not pity, that's just common sense, no?

And people who buy games on steam are not necessarily voting on greenlight...
Skoardy Oct 14, 2013 @ 7:01am 
It's not right and it's not common sense since it's not what you're being asked. If Valve wanted to know that, don't you think they'd have been smart enough to phrase the question that way? Since the information would be useless to them (I mean if they needed guesses they could just do that themselves), they don't ask that.

You're right that the people who buy games are not necessarily voting, that's why the people voting are just a representative sample. They're there to show legitimate interest, not guess at what the people not voting might do.

Just boil it down a simple numbers to help yourself understand it. Two games have ten people voting. If GAME A gets six legitimate votes and no 'pity' votes but GAME B gets three legitimate votes and four 'pity' votes, the people who think they know better have just ensured that a game that rightfully should have passed Greenlight didn't and that a game that would probably sell less and appeal to fewer people than GAME A managed to get through.

You might think you're helping or being kind but you're basically messing the whole system up.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 11, 2013 @ 2:40pm