Sid Meier's Civilization V

Create and Discover New Worlds
Maps, Scenarios, Interface, and so much more. Explore the modding world of Civ V, and when you’re ready, download the SDK to create and upload your own.
TacticsMaster87 Nov 27, 2013 @ 8:03pm
how to create own civilization?
how exactly would I go about making a custom civilization?
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
simabolbol Nov 28, 2013 @ 6:13am 
As far as I know, the only way to fiddle around with the related xml file 'Civ5Civilizations.xml'. It can be found in ur steam directory: "...Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML\Civilizations".

BEWARE tho, this is the original file that the game uses, so, changing anything on there will change ur base game. Strongly advise to either make a backup copy of it (by renaming the original) or creating a mod.
TacticsMaster87 Dec 8, 2013 @ 1:12pm 
thanks!
flygongengar Dec 9, 2013 @ 6:47pm 
Thats actually really bad advice and looking in that one file will tell you next to nothing about making your own civ. Plus, there is no reason to ever directly edit core files when making a mod.

The most hands on approach would be to download the civ v sdk and modbuddy from the steam game tools, then download one of the civ mods available on the workshop and look at the files that that mod edits.

You should also read some modding tutorials on civfanatics. This one is somewhat out of date but still very helpful:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385009
Last edited by flygongengar; Dec 9, 2013 @ 6:47pm
simabolbol Dec 10, 2013 @ 5:03pm 
In hindsight, yes, I agree: that was very bad advice from me. Only excuse I can offer is that i was very short on time and it was the fastest response I could provide in said time, but I did say that he shouldn't change that file as it's the game's original file.

Anyway, rohmans5, like flygongengar said, in order to do any kind of modding u will need to have the SDK downloaded and installed before u can try ur hand at creating maps, civs or anything else for Civ V.

The link flygongengar provided u is the perfect fisrt step into learning how to mod. There are also many other tutorials and guide on that website so be sure to check it out.
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 27, 2013 @ 8:03pm