Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Baton Nov 11, 2013 @ 6:34pm
I would love some feedback on steam greenlight
Greetings everyone,
I have been on Steam for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. My brother though has never touched it. We are at a unique crossroad in regards to our video game, which is currently being kickstarted right now (over 53 % in 5 days) I want to definitely greenlight it but my brother is having reservations and is considering to not go this route. I was hoping you guys could help me to prsuade him. What are the pros and cons to greenlighting a project? I am new to this whole process of greenlighting, has anyone here gone through this process and could you talk about your experience? Thanks in advance for the help! Also, feel free to move me if this post doesn't belong in this area.

Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Muppet among Puppets Nov 11, 2013 @ 9:50pm 
Big user base
Baton Nov 12, 2013 @ 6:41am 
Thanks muppet for the reply! Is the user base still growing though?
C0untzer0 Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:00am 
Given that Steam has as many people as a decent sized European country, and is set to go into the console market VERY succesfully, not to risk $100 on a chance of getting a piece of that pie would be ludicrous. Even if you don't get in the exposure on GL itself will be more than you could get for the same money anywhere else. That said, don't rush to publish a Greenlight page, a lot of users are unforgiving on first impressions and will never come back to see any improvement.
Gorlom[Swe] Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:40am 
What is your brothers concerns? are they regarding having your game on steam or are they regarding submitting it to greenlight?

What other means are you looking into selling the game through?
Skoardy Nov 12, 2013 @ 8:08am 
Your brother is worried about $100 of a $30,000 goal?
wilco64256 Nov 12, 2013 @ 8:40am 
Unless you have some amazing and rock-solid plan to sell the game someplace other than Steam and make a fortune, I can't really think of any reason why somebody would *not* want their game to be on Steam.
Gorlom[Swe] Nov 12, 2013 @ 9:45am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Unless you have some amazing and rock-solid plan to sell the game someplace other than Steam and make a fortune, I can't really think of any reason why somebody would *not* want their game to be on Steam.
I can.There are obviously some people for which the word "greenlight" holds some rather strange cannotations. (I'm not mentioning the name of the most prominent of these "people" since I'm afraid of the bettlejuice effect.)
If someone has minsinterperated the greenlight process or has heard these complaints they might come to the conclusion that they want to avoid greenlight for PR reasons or something.
Although I personally would assume that actually getting onto steam would negate any such imagined disadvantage.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Nov 12, 2013 @ 9:47am
AusSkiller Nov 12, 2013 @ 10:36am 
Steam does not use exclusive distribution contracts, you can have a Steam version and a non-Steam version you sell elsewhere, there is absolutely no reason not to try to get on Steam.
Nick Lipples Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:34am 
exactly the above
IcyAsian2013 Nov 12, 2013 @ 12:58pm 
Give it a try, I like to try out now games, and some are right, they can get unforgiving, but same time, make it good and ready and you're good. :)

good luck
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 11, 2013 @ 6:34pm