Age of Empires II: HD Edition

Advance to the Steam Age
Explore new maps, multiplayer scenarios, and user created campaigns. Or reinvent your game experience with new sounds, visuals, AI, units, and more! Ready to share your creations with the world? Upload right from the map editor, or collaborate with friends to create a masterpiece collection.
› Dracoix 23 Nov 11, 2013 @ 12:54pm
Now Taking Mod Requests
I am no longer fully active, and will not be making any NEW mods, only emergency updates to popular mods already used.

UPDATE 7/29/2014 : I'm doing other projects. This post is now a place for mod ideas for others to take up on. I'll do the courtesy of posting the tools used.

UPDATE 9/25/2014 : 3.8 has now come, data mods seem to be affected again. Emergency ports are in progress.

COMMON TOOLS:
Turtle Pack[aok.heavengames.com] - Manages and edits internal assets of the game.

Advanced Genie Editor[aok.heavengames.com] - Edits the internal data and mechanics of the game, also asset linking.

Note: Down ports of FE mods to base game are tedious and require the same amount of work.

Working on (1/27/2014):
Now InDev - NoFE - Draco's 'Legacy Pack' - Classic Combo

Current Projects Order Queue:
Major:
Now InDev - FE - Draco's Medieval Pirates 2
Now InDev - FE - Draco's Epic End Game
REQUESTED - FE - Civ Booster
REQUESTED - FE - Fat, Hungry, and Slow
REQUESTED - FE - Better Seige

Minor:
REQUESTED - FE - Death Refunds
REQUESTED - FE - Stabilized Population (500 for ALL)

The Forum Mill
The following are mod requests collected from this forum...
POP - Research - Bonus to Houses for Last Two Ages
POP - Permanent - All Campaign Stabilized 200 Population
RES - Permanent - Infinite Farms
UNT - Permanent - Garrison Monk inside Ram

Finished Projects
You can find most in my workshop listing page here.

For Version 3.2.x:
FINISHED - FE - Draco's 'Epic Pack' - Classic Combo

For Version 3.1.x:
FINISHED - Infinite Population (for Base and FE)
FINISHED - Draco Presents: Steve's Hell (For FE)
FINISHED - Full Tech + Unique Civ Bonuses Included (Stand Alone Mod)
FINISHED - Slower Research Time (Stand Alone Mod)

For Version 3.0.x (OLD):
FINISHED - Disablement of certain ages (Stand Alone Mods)
FINISHED - Legionaris + Centurion Units for Italian Civilization (Stand Alone Mod)
FINISHED - Reveal hidden Scenario Editor units and buildings (Stand Alone Mod)

Modified Original Post:
There are only a handful of us who are knowledgeable in modifying the internals of the game. The tools we use often are Advanced Genie Editor[aok.heavengames.com], Turtle Pack[aok.heavengames.com], Trigger Studio[aok.heavengames.com], and Hex/Binary Editors, all are specifically meant to manipulate the hidden areas that the workshop allows but are force overridden after each patch.

So far the two extremely active modders are Ozhara and myself. I was a lurker on AoK Heaven so I'm relatively unknown within the modding community, but I have an avid knowledge in the Genie engine's data structures and operations. Ozhara knows more about DRS and texture editing than I do, case in point the amount of mods released relating to them.

Limitations:
- All mods require time to complete, test properly, and confirm results.
- Cannot easily change interfacing.
- Cannot easily change passive AI (projectile paths, unit cluster formations, etc). Computer AI is different.
- Cannot easily, if at all, change random map sizes.
- Cannot easily add new sprites and their textures.
- Difficult to change localization (text displayed) due to cross port from Original to HD to FE.
-- Doing so overrides user's custom keybindings and own localization.
- Disabling features are easy, enabling them are harder.
- EVERY PATCH BREAKS GAME-DATA MODS
- GAME DATA MODS DO NOT STACK EASILY IF AT ALL
-- A dozen monolithic files equates to conflicts.
-- Files in question: .DAT and .DRS
Last edited by › Dracoix; Sep 25 @ 10:21pm
Showing 1-15 of 163 comments
< >
[AoC] Dazz 17 Nov 11, 2013 @ 1:20pm 
Ive always wanted a clash of clans mod dont know if it can be done but would bo so cool!
› Dracoix 23 Nov 11, 2013 @ 1:30pm 
Which aspects and which Clash of Clans games?
› Dracoix 23 Nov 11, 2013 @ 1:34pm 
@Kevin: I actually have been doing that slowly. Planning to release a raw standalone version with ones that actually have decent graphical assets.
› Dracoix 23 Nov 11, 2013 @ 8:46pm 
Mods requested so far have been completed.
known2own4sho 10 Nov 11, 2013 @ 10:56pm 
Building reskins to give different civs more of a unique feel would be awesome! (i.e. Indians)
Ozhara 216 Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:03pm 
For unit graphic sets like with the buildings you have to revamp the whole system as AoE just can use one graphic per animation per unit and a unit is available for one civ or all civs.

So you would have to replace every unit with a clone for every civ (you can enable every unit for every civ in game settings). And for the ai scripts directly point to unit ids, you would have to redo every ai script so the game doesn't crash/ai can use them.
Against human players all have to use this mod for it heavily changes the games mechanic.

Tried to do a base file for such a mod so you could add whatever graphics you want/or simply use the default graphics, but canceled it months ago for the named ai (and some other) problems after finishing half of the units...
Hoped FE would make it easier but as far as I know it doesn't. :(
› Dracoix 23 Nov 11, 2013 @ 11:12pm 
^ That
crimsonsun88 Nov 12, 2013 @ 2:36am 
Ah, so something like retexturing Petards to look like Creepers (from Minecraft) would take a long time or be close to impossible? Cause I think that would be a cool texture.
Ozhara 216 Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:08am 
In case petards shall look like this for every civ it's 'easy'. In this case you just have to change the actually used graphics.
Last edited by Ozhara; Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:09am
› Dracoix 23 Nov 12, 2013 @ 10:21pm 
Actually that would be pretty funny to see, but it's not my expertise. (I use DRS files to look up addresses to graphics I can already use, not make them myself. :p)
Ozhara 216 Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:04pm 
If the graphics already exist it's pretty easy to replace them, but in this case you would have to add player color, so it's a bit more work to do.
› Dracoix 23 Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:12pm 
I would be all for it, but I tend to keep out of sprite animations/modification. And it wouldn't be a creeper without the HSSSSSSSS sound to go with it, so there's that.
Ozhara 216 Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:20pm 
I'm at work, so I can't look it up right now, but I think the unit sounds are in the graphics.drs too (in wav format).
Never tried until now, but for unit graphics work by placing their seperate slp files in data\slp (just renamed from their id to their name), I would imagine sounds work like that too.

So adding creeper sounds shouldn't be too difficult. Only thing is player color as it means to manually edit all 250 images to set them... And if there shouldn't be a possibility to get 50 images per animation type from starcraft - you would have to do them too.
That would be A LOT of work...

This is the reason I didn't do any unit reskins for now. Simply not enough free time (and of course it would be easier when knowing some 3d modelling stuff so you don't have to draw each image pixel by pixel...^^).
Ozhara 216 Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:24pm 
Different question, would you mind trying my mod manager as an alpha tester?
Need some feedback regarding its installation before officially releasing the first beta... :D
› Dracoix 23 Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:24pm 
I would be glad to :D
Showing 1-15 of 163 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50