I am no longer fully active, and will not be making any NEW mods, only emergency updates to popular mods already used. UPDATE 7/29/2014 : I'm doing other projects. This post is now a place for mod ideas for others to take up on. I'll do the courtesy of posting the tools used. UPDATE 9/25/2014 : 3.8 has now come, data mods seem to be affected again. Emergency ports are in progress.
COMMON TOOLS:Turtle Pack[aok.heavengames.com]
- Manages and edits internal assets of the game.Advanced Genie Editor[aok.heavengames.com]
- Edits the internal data and mechanics of the game, also asset linking.
Note: Down ports of FE mods to base game are tedious and require the same amount of work.
Working on (1/27/2014): Now InDev - NoFE - Draco's 'Legacy Pack' - Classic Combo
Current Projects Order Queue:Major:
Now InDev - FE - Draco's Medieval Pirates 2
Now InDev - FE - Draco's Epic End Game
REQUESTED - FE - Civ Booster
REQUESTED - FE - Fat, Hungry, and Slow
REQUESTED - FE - Better Seige
REQUESTED - FE - Death Refunds
REQUESTED - FE - Stabilized Population (500 for ALL)
The Forum MillThe following are mod requests collected from this forum...
POP - Research - Bonus to Houses for Last Two Ages
POP - Permanent - All Campaign Stabilized 200 Population
RES - Permanent - Infinite Farms
UNT - Permanent - Garrison Monk inside Ram
Finished ProjectsYou can find most in my workshop listing page here.
For Version 3.2.x:
FINISHED - FE - Draco's 'Epic Pack' - Classic Combo
For Version 3.1.x:
FINISHED - Infinite Population (for Base and FE)
FINISHED - Draco Presents: Steve's Hell (For FE)
FINISHED - Full Tech + Unique Civ Bonuses Included (Stand Alone Mod)
FINISHED - Slower Research Time (Stand Alone Mod)
For Version 3.0.x (OLD):
FINISHED - Disablement of certain ages (Stand Alone Mods)
FINISHED - Legionaris + Centurion Units for Italian Civilization (Stand Alone Mod)
FINISHED - Reveal hidden Scenario Editor units and buildings (Stand Alone Mod)
Modified Original Post:
There are only a handful of us who are knowledgeable in modifying the internals of the game. The tools we use often are Advanced Genie Editor[aok.heavengames.com]
, Turtle Pack[aok.heavengames.com]
, Trigger Studio[aok.heavengames.com]
, and Hex/Binary Editors, all are specifically meant to manipulate the hidden areas that the workshop allows but are force overridden after each patch.
So far the two extremely active modders are Ozhara and myself. I was a lurker on AoK Heaven so I'm relatively unknown within the modding community, but I have an avid knowledge in the Genie engine's data structures and operations. Ozhara knows more about DRS and texture editing than I do, case in point the amount of mods released relating to them.
- All mods require time to complete, test properly, and confirm results.
- Cannot easily change interfacing.
- Cannot easily change passive AI (projectile paths, unit cluster formations, etc). Computer AI is different.
- Cannot easily, if at all, change random map sizes.
- Cannot easily add new sprites and their textures.
- Difficult to change localization (text displayed) due to cross port from Original to HD to FE.
-- Doing so overrides user's custom keybindings and own localization.
- Disabling features are easy, enabling them are harder.
- EVERY PATCH BREAKS GAME-DATA MODS
- GAME DATA MODS DO NOT STACK EASILY IF AT ALL
-- A dozen monolithic files equates to conflicts.
-- Files in question: .DAT and .DRS