Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
direboargamez Oct 30, 2013 @ 3:44am
Posted my concept, now what?
Some time ago I posted an interest check - a game about merchants traveling between islands and trading stuff. (I used my usual account name - Edreyn)

Now I posted a concept on a relevant page. I understand that my question may sound VERY noobish, but I want to ask anyway.

--- About how long I should wait before I can be sure I got enough information from voters? ---

If you visit my concept, you can see screenshots. Graphics isn't so good (I understand that), but what about the very concept of the game? It's a large body of text, but I find this information important.

By other users replies I want to understand what option to choose:

1) Concept isn't interesting, no matter the graphics, so it's better to cancel it before I spend more money.

2) Concept is good, but graphics is too bad, so need to be replaced. In that case I'll have to spend money on better graphics source (possibly 3d models from turbosquid) and spend much more then planned.

3) Concept is good, graphics is more or less playable. In that case I'll use only a few 3d models and backgrounds will have same style. Relatively not that much money.

And one last question:

--- How often concept STATS update? With every new visitor/voter or daily or something else?---

((In case it's forbidden to post both here and concepts, I am sorry, just tell me and I'll delete the thread.))
Last edited by direboargamez; Oct 30, 2013 @ 3:46am
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
!3eleidiger Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:28am 
Interesting Idea! But the whole Problem is the Concept Section isn´t used that much Players like to see nearly Finished Games more than far away Concepts and the Concept Section is way to Hidden in Greenlight!

Also a Possibility to Vote from 1 to 5 Stars like in the Workshop would fit in the Concept Section more than just Like or Dislike!

Even the Discussion Section is Visited far to less i was Posing a Question about an Queue Issue i have Yesterday not any answer so far!

Maybe its cause of the near Halloween Holidays but i think the Community is getting a bit lazy these days!
C0untzer0 Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:38am 
First off: Good Luck! Welcome to the few people actually giving it a go.

Originally posted by direboargamez:
--- About how long I should wait before I can be sure I got enough information from voters? ---
That's really upto you, but as a general note, once your game slips from the front page of "Most Recent games, you've probably got as much attention as you're likely to.

Originally posted by direboargamez:

((In case it's forbidden to post both here and concepts, I am sorry, just tell me and I'll delete the thread.))
While not forbidden, per se, posting your link is heavily frowned upon, and so not a good way of garnering attention. Thanks for not doing that. We can easily find your game through your profile.

Also: Are you going to be trying other places to get your game out there? Places like IndieDB etc give great feedback which you may find invaluable.
direboargamez Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:40am 
Thank you for advice, I'll do it!
Skoardy Oct 30, 2013 @ 8:02am 
Since the Concepts section is so full of junk (not 'bad games/concepts' but things that aren't even concepts, stuff from people who don't understand what the section is for and just put up random images) and is woefully ignored by the moderators, it feels like people don't give the legitimate projects in there much of a second glance.

Maybe if Valve bothered to keep on top of matters (15 minutes each day would be enough to prune the trash), you'd be getting more feedback for your game but I'm afraid you've probably got the bulk of attention coming your way already.
direboargamez Oct 31, 2013 @ 8:17am 
So... I understand that I need to make a demo with at least some features. I'll do it, although it will take some time - I am only doing it at evenings.
I will also change a name to "Traders of the infinite Sea".
The question is - should the graphics stay 2D or I must try to make 3D locations? I can try it too, although it will take even more time.
Also 3D demo costs about triple from 2D.
Sera (Banned) Oct 31, 2013 @ 8:29am 
A game doesn't need to be 3D to be good. Keep it 2D if you prefer it that way but don't rush things with it or it will not be as good as intended.
direboargamez Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:38am 
Another question if I may. When I finish a demo, how can I distribute it to you? Through "Games" tab?
Sera (Banned) Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:58am 
Nah. I do not think Greenlight allows demos as stupid as it may sounds. The best if you can is to post many screenshots and a video of you playing or something, to give us an idea of what your game is about.
direboargamez Oct 31, 2013 @ 10:08am 
Okay then. It'll take some time, but I will try to make a demo with videos as fast as possible. Maybe will put a playable demo on another website.
Last edited by direboargamez; Oct 31, 2013 @ 10:09am
chris1980 Oct 31, 2013 @ 2:17pm 
I see this kind of post all the time. Either you have something to show or you don't. Realistically nobody will be interested in your game. If you really feel the need to make games get good at some skill and join a games studio.
Gorlom[Swe] Oct 31, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Originally posted by chris1980:
I see this kind of post all the time.
No you don't, one or two times in little ofver a year is not "all the time". Stop with the hyperbole already.
chris1980 Oct 31, 2013 @ 3:46pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Originally posted by chris1980:
I see this kind of post all the time.
No you don't, one or two times in little ofver a year is not "all the time". Stop with the hyperbole already.

Bull. Maybe not on this particular forum but its all over the interweb. What utter rubbish, even by your low standards. Just go on any game engine forum, unity, unreal etc.
Skoardy Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:47pm 
Direboargamez, I wouldn't worry about Chris1980's comments. He bizarrely believes everything on Greenlight is rubbish. That alone probably shows how much value to place in his judgement.
direboargamez Nov 4, 2013 @ 1:30am 
One of the concept page visitors recommended changing a name a little, so there won't be association with repeating gameplay. I tried to find some synonyms for the word "infinite" but all others seems to be taken. Unfortunately, domain name "infinitesea.com" is also taken and I believe I will need a website sooner or later. So, can anyone suggest a synonym that can fit?
C0untzer0 Nov 4, 2013 @ 2:03am 
I'd strongly suggest you use a company name rather than a product name for your main site. That way if you should make a second game, or acquire one, you already have a base.
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 30, 2013 @ 3:44am