Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
ND Dec 5, 2013 @ 3:04am
[suggestion] small discount on greenlit games for those who voted for them
What if, when a game hits the store after being greenlit anyone who voted YES on that game gets say a 10% discount on top of other discounts and sales. Provides a nice incentive to participate in the voting process but (unlike achievements, badges etc) wouldn't create damaging behaviour like fake voting for points for the simple reason that you only get something out of it if you actually plan on buying that game when it goes on sale.

I don't know. Just a thought.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Adelion Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:25am 
There is still the danger that people just upvote everything for a 10 % discount even if they are probably never going to buy the game. So there could be a lot of fake votes start entering the system.
ND Dec 5, 2013 @ 4:30am 
Yeah, maybe you're right.
wilco64256 Dec 5, 2013 @ 7:58am 
There's no maybe about it. If you offer any incentive for people to vote other than just wanting to see that game on Steam, you'll get fake votes that screw with the system.
ND Dec 5, 2013 @ 8:18am 
Since there would be no benefit to voting for games you don't want it might not be open to abuse in the way that other incentives are, because the discount would only apply to the specific games you voted for, not for any others, and you'd still need to pay significant money for individual games and can't resell them... but I'm probably missing some other way in which it could go wrong.
Skoardy Dec 5, 2013 @ 9:29am 
The point is, people wouldn't be checking what they want/don't want when they simply upvote everything, they'd just be ensuring that if something from Greenlight appears on the store, they'd get another 10% off.
Skoardy Dec 5, 2013 @ 9:57am 
It's varies (and lapses) but the OP is suggesting something on top of existing discounts.
ND Dec 5, 2013 @ 10:48am 
@Skoardy: Why someone would go to such lengths to hoard games they'll never get around to playing I don't know - personally, I barely get around to all the bundles, never mind getting everything on Greenlight - but yeah you're probably right. People would ruin it. Never mind.
Skoardy Dec 5, 2013 @ 12:02pm 
I didn't say people would be hoarding games. I said they'd blanket upvote everything (with no intention of buying them all) just on the off-chance it turns out they want one of the games that gets greenlit at a later date. You'll have people coming to Greenlight just to do that.
Tatsuya Hiroki Dec 7, 2013 @ 5:25am 
heck no, we dont need even more troll voting as it is already
Mighty Rabbit Studios Dec 17, 2013 @ 6:10pm 
I don't know, I feel like there is a large amount of Steam users that don't use Greenlight and those that do have very specific tastes. There needs to be something to reach the 10 million people who aren't bothering with Greenlight. I think there is a lot of people above the age of 25 who don't have the time to bother with Greenlight - if there was some reason to pull them out and get them to find games they want, there would be a much more diverse set of games getting greenlit every month.

People seem to be very defensive about what should and should not get on Steam - I don't think a small discount would change their mindset and cause them to descend into a yes vote frenzy. They'll still only vote on games that appeal to them. It would also seriously help the developers who pass Greenlight since they'd immediately have 9,000 - 10,000 people who may buy the game soley because of that discount. I think the pluses of this idea would far outweigh the negatives.

Then again, I proposed this same idea when Greenlight launched and got the same response seen here - so this will probably never happen.
Skoardy Dec 17, 2013 @ 6:27pm 
Originally posted by Mighty Rabbit Studios:
I don't know, I feel like there is a large amount of Steam users that don't use Greenlight and those that do have very specific tastes.
Feels. Like facts but not.

People seem to be very defensive about what should and should not get on Steam - I don't think a small discount would change their mindset and cause them to descend into a yes vote frenzy.
Either it's an incentive or it's not. You don't get it to be both just to suit your point.

If people were really bothered what should or should not be coming through Greenlight, they'd already be voting.
TimDimmDrive Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:01pm 
I think this is a great idea. If anything, it warrents a period where this could be tested to see how it integrates, users accept it, etc.
Skoardy Dec 20, 2013 @ 8:15am 
I think Valve would be pretty good at spotting that it'd be of negligible and unneeded benefit while getting someone (the devs? Valve? No-one really specified.) to eat a 10% loss on sales, without the need to test it to see how it works.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 5, 2013 @ 3:04am