View the 2013 entries
You can watch the submissions below. Voting was between Nov 18th through Nov. 24th. The winners were revealed on Nov. 26th on sourcefilmmaker.com.
For complete contest details click here.
Clancker1223 Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:06pm
Thoughts on the Saxxy Winners?
They were all good, they all deserve a Saxxy, but I was rooting for Meet the Workshop
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Ballantyne Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:10pm 
All very worthy winners! Happy to see a few of my favs win :)
|eXtv| Airon Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Congratulations to all winners and runners up!!! So many great entries, and I'm happy to say my favorite won the overall. Well deserved IMHO.

The best scripts won, though all the nominees were great, IMHO. And their soundtracks worked, which pleases the professional sound designer in me even more.

Personally I think Valve should keep a showcase on the Sourcefilmmaker site of all the past Saxxy winners AND nominees. Those films should be discovered by anyone looking even just a little.
Last edited by |eXtv| Airon; Nov 26, 2013 @ 4:32pm
Waffles for everyone?!?!?! Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:17pm 
I'm happy for all the winners, even though it didn't turn out exactly the way I had hoped. Honestly, Mann Co. Symphony was my least favorite short, but what can you do?
[Beetle] Wick Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:19pm 
MaxofS2D gets too much credit
Marioshi [Grampa Soldier] Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:34pm 
Let's begin with Best Short. I was rooting for No Hard Feelings, but I am happy that my French fellow Salade au Thon won with Mann Co Symphony. To be honest, I found it to be the "I Dream of Electric Creeps" of this year, the "too original" entry that wouldn't have any chance to win. But Valve decided to prime originality, and I am very happy with it. This victory is deserved and gives hope for the future editions.

With Best Action, it was personally difficult to choose, because all the entries were great in their category. Even if I liked Chinatown Getaway animation, I still find this was an easy winner (a simple getaway scene, a lot of support from the community...) I liked it anyway, but its victory made certain the Overall victory of Lil Guardian Pyro. If Lil Guardian Pyro was primed in Best Action, the competition for Best Overall would have been more open. But I'm just bragging c:

Disruption was again a victory for originality, and I am happy that it won this year: it was risked in my opinion. I think Quest of the Demoknight would have been a better winner with its vibrant homage to the 8 and 16 bit era, but again, all 4 nominees were great in their category. I didn't saw Disruption when the voting occurred, and I was delighted to discover it as a nominee. Again, a well deserved victory.

For Best Drama, Lozeng3r finally got credit for its work! Last year, I was seriously hoping for Till Death Do Us Part to win Best Overall, and it left the Awards without even a Saxxy. This year, the second part got the recognition it deserved. But again, with nominees that were really great (kudos to Run which hadn't many views!), the competition was fiercely open. I am happy that my favourite won though :)

Concerning Best Overall, well... Saying that the winner was obvious would be a bit harsh. But again, the Chinatown Getaway victory in Best Action made all illusions melt: Lil Guardian Pyro was the obvious winner. Again, I don't want to say I was disappointed with that: Lil Guardian Pyro was a kick in the nuts in terms of awesomeness. But its victory made important two things in my opinion: 1) Work in a big team (only Disruption was made with a team with less than 5 people) and 2) If possible, search for the support of a famous person (the video was uploaded by Harry101UK). So, again, I am not angry at Lil Guardian Pyro's victory, and I don't want to fall into the "views = victory" logic. Lil Guardian Pyro is still a superb winner, and it got a prize at the height of its quality: the Best Overall prize. Enjoy your trip to Valve, champions! =D
Last edited by Marioshi [Grampa Soldier]; Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:39pm
Gibster Nov 26, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
I honestly could not get through meet the workshop, it was just not my style. I was glad disruption won, that was one of my early favorites although I equally liked Quest of the Demoknight and Office Fortress. I knew I would be happy as long as one of those 3 won. In fact, I predicted all the winners save Mann Co. Symphony in the short category. In the last Saxxy awards there was a good video just like it only all about the engineer and it didn't even get nominated so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Symphony get nominated. I predicted Survival of the Fittest would win because it just seemed better but I'm happy either way. The one section I had a fuss about was the drama section. 2 of the nominees (a fragile dream and frozen in love) were the same fem-scout dramas, just in different settings. Had either won I would have been thoroughly ♥♥♥♥♥♥ off. The other 2, Run and Till Death do Us Part Two, were much better in terms of an innovative story. Run put a nice spin on things, not my favorite but certainly much better than the first 2. Till Death do Us Part Two was astounding in terms of dramatic scenes, story, and music. It was the only drama that I rewatched multiple times. I was thoroughly pleased when it won. Action was, well, action. I figured Chinatown getaway would win because that's what it did, action, and it did it real well. The others sugarcoated theirs with a story, which made them more bearable to watch but detracted from the action, which is the category. Lil' Guardian Pyro was the obvious overall winner. It combined drama, action and comedy into one nice and flavorful video. I predicted it to win overall the moment I saw it.
Dr.Dj Pepper Nov 26, 2013 @ 6:16pm 
Quest of the Demoknight didn't win, which really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ me off; and a lot of others as well.
Interstella909 Nov 26, 2013 @ 6:23pm 
Originally posted by {Lazy} Sir Doctor DJ:
Quest of the Demoknight didn't win, which really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ me off; and a lot of others as well.

♥♥♥♥ing fanboys of anangrysockpuppet
CAT PLANET; CAT PLANET! :3 Nov 26, 2013 @ 10:26pm 
I honestly did not expect Chinatown to win, or for Lil' Guardian to lose to it, but looking back at the two; While Lil' Guardian is Pixar level of greatness, Chinatown used more original TF2 content without importing in from other games or from outside content.

Likewise, I really wanted Quest for the Demoman to win, but Disruption (while cute and funny) also stayed closer to the spirit of the event.

Great year all-around though! Amazing entries and I think the TF2 team should definitely go over some of their favorites that might not of been Saxxy-winning level but still were impressive or original in their own right.

Edit: Did not see the "Overall winner" Catagory till now, Seeing Ili Pyro there renews my faith in the system.
Last edited by CAT PLANET; CAT PLANET! :3; Nov 28, 2013 @ 1:43am
RIP SR Kotori Nov 27, 2013 @ 1:29am 
I am pleased, almost all of the winners had my support earlier. The only one excluding was Symphony, my favorite in this category was Crackpot. Also want to note that Till Death Do Us 2 is so beatiful if it got the best overall i'd certainly loved it. Lil' Pyro is very nice too, so i am totally not dissapointed it won.
comcast Nov 28, 2013 @ 8:51am 
I'm glad that McVee didn't enter end of the line in because that would have been the obvious winner. Instead valve has talked to him about giving him his own UPDATE to coincide with the film release.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50