Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
smegs Nov 22, 2013 @ 6:51am
Giveaway in exchange for votes
The game Paranormal State is giving the game away in exchange for Greenlight votes. Is this behavior permissible?
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Jon Nov 22, 2013 @ 7:00am 
I would also be interested to know the answer to this. Noticing the giveaway, I was unable to find anywhere in the associated legal and Greenlight information that says that offering free copies of a game in exchange for 'Yes' votes on Greenlight was allowed or not. Perhaps it be could clarified and added to the FAQ?
Sera Nov 22, 2013 @ 7:19am 
This is what we call corruption. The devs are "buying" our votes by offering their games free to us as trade off. So whether the game is crap or not doesn't really matter at this point. Vote yes and get their game free!

Seriously, though... I really do wish this kind of behavior wasn't allowed but there is nothing we can do about it. If they don't do it through steam, they can do it through anywhere else. The question being "Would you buy this game?" loses its meaning with corruption, anyway. You won't buy the game since you get it free.
wilco64256 Nov 22, 2013 @ 8:02am 
If they want to give away a free copy for every vote they're only hurting their own sales as a result. If they're willing to hurt their own bottom line like that just to get through the system then so be it.
smegs Nov 22, 2013 @ 8:59am 
Originally posted by The Wedge:
It's allowed, yes.

Do we have official word on that somewhere? Or in a legal doc?

It's not that I don't trust you, but I'm needing to know so that I can cite a source.
wilco64256 Nov 22, 2013 @ 9:01am 
The fact that people have done it before and been Greenlit sort of speaks for itself. And the fact that it's not explicitly forbidden anywhere.
smegs Nov 22, 2013 @ 9:12am 
I guess what I'm looking for is a specific statement saying it is or isn't allowed.

Games having been greenlit that used such tactics doesn't really say anything. Valve may have not known about their promotions, or it may not have made a significant difference to the vote totals and they ignored it.
wilco64256 Nov 22, 2013 @ 9:22am 
Originally posted by smegs:
I guess what I'm looking for is a specific statement saying it is or isn't allowed.

Games having been greenlit that used such tactics doesn't really say anything. Valve may have not known about their promotions, or it may not have made a significant difference to the vote totals and they ignored it.

Look in the announcement detail of the set posted by The Wedge. It's pretty clear from their statements in there that Valve knew exactly what devs were doing and have no problem with it.
Tamerlane Nov 22, 2013 @ 9:48am 
The game Nightmares from the Deep has done this. Also a piece of software (forgot the name, something about tiles?). It's legal, but it's not really normal.
C0untzer0 Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:00am 
Originally posted by The Wedge:
Indeed. I wouldn't accuse Kroll of being an economist. Given that the top 100 are currently averaging below 10K votes, and most indie devs will be lucky to even see 10K units sold, it's likely quite a bit of giving away the majority of your potential earnings.
In the music business you make a lot more from leveraging a number one record than you make from sales. I'd be unsurprised if people who had previously got a game onto Steam would find it easier to fund the next one. Eye on the campaign rather than the battle?
wilco64256 Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:02am 
Yeah I think in the long run it's a safe enough practice. Also, once you get through Greenlight once you don't have to repeat the process.
Sera Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:22am 
^ That's what I mean... Let's say giving games for votes is fine (I still don't agree with it though), playing the "something bad will happen if you don't vote for my game" card is really low and crap... I just can't respect a developer like this...
wilco64256 Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:29am 
Of note, that particularly tactic was not a developer, it was a publisher (Reverb) who pulled that PR stunt without even talking to the developer of the game in question beforehand.
Sera Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:40am 
I see... So very lame. For me, it gives a bad name to the game. I like to see a game make it through because it deserves it. Using crappy tactics is a turn off for me.
Sir! Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:59am 
well i mean its a way to get more votes, so is it more of a view on advertisement or is it trying to buy over the voters? eitherway this will be hell of an interesting discussion :D
C0untzer0 Nov 22, 2013 @ 11:28am 
Originally posted by Aye Sir!:
eitherway this will be hell of an interesting discussion :D
Will be ? We're not doing it for ya yet, huh? ah well, just warming up. I haven't even made a single post with obscure pop lyrics or innuendo in this thread...
Last edited by C0untzer0; Nov 23, 2013 @ 1:19am
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 22, 2013 @ 6:51am