Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 1:27pm
Ideas for Getting Noticed
Has anyone had any success with trying to foster support or made actions that helped your game get noticed? We've tried a few things, but it doesn't seem like much of anything makes an impact. I see a few games in the comparison graph get sudden spikes of voting - anyone care to share some insight into that?
Last edited by Turknor; Nov 12, 2013 @ 2:57pm
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 1:32pm 
Our game has a strong following on facebook so we got a big bump from that. It's been a steady trickle since the initial submission. I'm mainly curious about those surges in 'yes' votes I see in a graph, not necessarily asking for the obvious 'you need a big community behind you' feedback.
Skoardy Nov 12, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Bit late now but generally posting adverts/plugs in the main forums is considered bad form (imagine if every dev thought their project deserved advertising in the same way). Some people have been known to change their votes, and no, not in a good way, due to devs using the forum for weasely advertising.
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:03pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Bit late now but generally posting adverts/plugs in the main forums is considered bad form (imagine if every dev thought their project deserved advertising in the same way). Some people have been known to change their votes, and no, not in a good way, due to devs using the forum for weasely advertising.

I see your point - I removed the link to the game. I figured people might be curious about the game itself (and you can't click on a person to see their submissions). This is a greenlight forum afterall - I would hope everyone who posts a topic leaves a bread-trail to their game, otherwise I don't have much context for their topic. oh well...

Anyhow, you didn't contribute to the topic - any info or suggestions?
Last edited by Turknor; Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:07pm
Skoardy Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
Well, I'm surprised you didn't ask in the developers forum rather than here. Seems they'd be the people in-the-know.
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
Well, I'm surprised you didn't ask in the developers forum rather than here. Seems they'd be the people in-the-know.

As far as I can tell there is no 'developer forum' - I've never seen one and can't find one. Link?
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:13pm 
Also, the topic is open to anyone with suggestions (shrug).
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
No dice. I think only the account that submitted the game has access. Either way, it was an open question to anyone even if it's just guesses. Thanks for the help.
wilco64256 Nov 12, 2013 @ 3:46pm 
Everyone who's listed as a developer on the project can request access to the developer forum. Just PM Alden via the sticky thread at the top here and he can get you in there.
AusSkiller Nov 12, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
Getting your game reviewed/previewed by popular youtubers is probably the cheapest and most effective way to get noticed, there are quite a few with hundreds of thousands of subscribers that will review indie games, send them a free copy of your game with a polite request for them to review it and hopefully they will. Advertising is the other way to get noticed, but it can be very expensive and not particularly effective unless you have a great product that stands out and you hire a professional to help you choose the best advertising solutions for your game.

Word of mouth and social media will help a lot, but from what I hear it's very difficult to force that kind of action, you are probably better off focusing on the youtubers and traditional advertising and letting the social stuff just happen naturally, though obviously you should create twitter and facebook accounts for your game and regularly post updates on them to help with the process.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, this is basically just what I've read on the subject and I haven't actually been involved with this sort of thing myself.
Turknor Nov 12, 2013 @ 10:20pm 
Thanks for the advice Aus. I'll ping a few of the youtube reviewers and see if we can get some action.
.!.oO=Boney-Dog-Lee=Oo.!. Nov 16, 2013 @ 5:54am 
Only some consider it creepy or whatnot for developers to grasp off fresh opinions but a different look at it may be: If someone kindly asks for a wider opinion on their personal hard work then they should be seen for what they are rather than an employee being paid to post advertising for someone else's work.

Why do you think can we post links to our games in such nice neat boxes on these forums in the first place? Quis custodit custodes? Let those in place decide over inappropriate use.

Seriously if someone 'changes their mind in order to punish me for being a bad boy talking about my new demo and stuff' it would be a relief for me to know that vote off my back...

at OP: Knowing your way around the web is a good way to start. The development groups are put to display. Look at the greenlight start page for instance when you are logged on.
And I've put my work out to consideration for multiple distributors and not just Steam/ValvE. There are quite a few to choose from and all offer some kind of support at different terms. There are also some good announcements on marketing, pr and advertising in the developer groups.
Last edited by .!.oO=Boney-Dog-Lee=Oo.!.; Nov 16, 2013 @ 6:01am
Skoardy Nov 16, 2013 @ 7:32am 
While I can understand why some devs would be in favour of open season advertising on the forums, I had hoped most would be able to understand how having the place swamped with thousands of promotional posts announcing every little change might be considered somewhat unwanted. I'm glad the OP understood and was thoughful enough to go a step further and remove their advert.

As to why we can post boxes, it's a universal feature across the entirity of the Steam forums and collections alike. Implying it was simply added to facilitate devs advertising is quite misleading - as is saying that Valve has no need of users in regards to observing the rules (if that was actually the case, why the 'report flags'?).

I'm thankful for every dev who has the simple consideration and sense not to advertise in the forums. I can only hope they remain in the majority.
AusSkiller Nov 16, 2013 @ 8:23am 
While I can understand why some devs would be in favour of open season advertising on the forums, I had hoped most would be able to understand how having the place swamped with thousands of promotional posts announcing every little change might be considered somewhat unwanted. I'm glad the OP understood and was thoughful enough to go a step further and remove their advert.
I think that for a thread like this where there is a legitimate question being asked it would be acceptable for the OP to mention the name of the game, it lets people who are interested in what it is find the game but it's not intrusive to the topic like the large box a link would create is.
.!.oO=Boney-Dog-Lee=Oo.!. Nov 16, 2013 @ 10:43am 
Advertisement and PR, there is a fine but yet important difference between these two. Skoardy, I respect your intepretation of how things are to be but I still find it a bit out of place to dicipline others so swiftly, sir.
Skoardy Nov 16, 2013 @ 11:58am 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
I think that for a thread like this where there is a legitimate question being asked it would be acceptable for the OP to mention the name of the game, it lets people who are interested in what it is find the game but it's not intrusive to the topic like the large box a link would create is.
Yeah, yeah, I agree that mentioning your games when asked and it is actually on-topic is harmless enough. Starting a new thread or derailing a current one though just to bring up/direct traffic to your game is when it's probably worth mentioning it to the poster and hoping their sense wins over their self-interest.

It's very, very easy for someone to create blatant advertisements on this forum and fool some people into believing it was all an honest, naive mistake - I'm not at all saying that any of this is what happened here but I still believe it's worth painting a picture of the mess the forum could become from time to time just to hedge off those who start thinking "Well - if they did it, it must be okay so why shouldn't I?". Letting things slide doesn't really help at all.

In the past we've seen people ham-fistedly contort a threads to work references to their projects into them, even going so far as to necro long dead threads to do just that and then claim innocence when it was suggested they stop.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 12, 2013 @ 1:27pm