Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 5:28am
New game idea (in early development). Opinions needed
Hi community,

I have a small team working on a new game. It's going to have some cliche aspects but we are also trying to be innovative. Details: FPS rpg with a vast open world to explore. It is a post apocalyptic scenario. An event has occurred leaving yourself and a companion struggling to survive. The game will build on a story between the two characters. It will have a day/night cycle which will determine what dangerous events you encounter. Aside from needing to find food and supplies to survive, the player will be able to gain xp through quests which provides skill points to level up skills that make survival easier over time. Without going into too much detail on the innovative part, the day/night cycle runs on the system clock. So you could be playing in one timezone making the game be the night cycle, and a friend could be playing in a different time zone playing the day cycle. It runs off the machines system clock. So it truly is a day or night of exploring, just as you would in real time.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Mechanics are being coded, but I can provide screenshots when the time comes. Please provide opinions of whether or not this is a game you would enjoy playing.
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 17 @ 5:45am 
Have you thought about making a concept page? It's free you know.
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 5:56am 
I have, but thought it would be better to wait until I have some art and screens to provide. However, would you give a yay or nay based on the info I provided in the post?
C0untzer0 Jan 17 @ 6:00am 
No. Because you haven't given us nearly enough to go on.
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 6:07am 
Ok. What else would you want me to provide at this stage?
oni Jan 17 @ 6:44am 
I dont want to be that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, but fps/rpg + vast open world + small team = seems bound to failure.

Think about how much time it took to create the Fallout games with a sizeable team.
Last edited by oni; Jan 17 @ 6:46am
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 17 @ 7:02am 
Done before multiple times.
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 7:02am 
I can see why you would think that haha. Fallout probably wasn't the best comparison, and I should've chosen my words wisely. "Vast" is a little too strong. It's an open world within the confines of what an indie game should be. It's titled Those That Remain. You and your companion are the only people. There are enemies but none that will have guns.The whole game is based around survival and exploration. It will give the players a chance to experience the relationship between the 2 characters as well as experience a struggle to survive.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 17 @ 7:23am 
First of all: Not really interested in the FPS+RPG genre. I prefer JRPG over western RPG.

Struggeling to survive seems to be rather popular lately. There are numerous games like that and that really doesn't seem to have it's own pull anymore. You need a bit more story than that imo.

What really sets your game apart from other games? I guess the 2 characters dynamic could potentially be something but it could also be pointless from a customers perspective. it all depends on how you choose to implement that and how successfully you do so.

Personally I would have waited until I had enough for a concept page before I announced it. (Which you technically have already, but as you seem to feel you don't: well why did you announce it? :S)

PS: Wait... there are no other people? no friendly/neutral NPCs? You're not really making a RPG then, are you?
I definetly would not be interested in this game. I think it would be far too hard for you to tell a story with the info you have provided.
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 7:37am 
I really appreciate the constructive criticism. I should have waited a little longer and just made a concept page. Creating this post might affect things a bit, but I wanted to use this as a way to get a feel for what customers are interested in. I took notes so things will be evaluated. The story is still being finalized. To put you in the right mindset, think of I Am Legend. I'm going to get a concept page soon.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 17 @ 8:15am 
Originally posted by Wastelander233:
I really appreciate the constructive criticism. I should have waited a little longer and just made a concept page. Creating this post might affect things a bit, but I wanted to use this as a way to get a feel for what customers are interested in. I took notes so things will be evaluated. The story is still being finalized. To put you in the right mindset, think of I Am Legend. I'm going to get a concept page soon.
Omega man > I am Legend.
I really couldn't apriciate I am Legend since I just keept thinking they butchered Omega man.
Skoardy Jan 17 @ 8:22am 
It will have a day/night cycle which will determine what dangerous events you encounter.
So you could be playing in one timezone making the game be the night cycle, and a friend could be playing in a different time zone playing the day cycle. It runs off the machines system clock. So it truly is a day or night of exploring, just as you would in real time.
So people who only have spare time to play in the evenings would basically get boned/have a consistently lousy experience?
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 17 @ 8:28am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
It will have a day/night cycle which will determine what dangerous events you encounter.
So you could be playing in one timezone making the game be the night cycle, and a friend could be playing in a different time zone playing the day cycle. It runs off the machines system clock. So it truly is a day or night of exploring, just as you would in real time.
So people who only have spare time to play in the evenings would basically get boned/have a consistently lousy experience?
Or they could... you know.. change the system clock?

(Although an ingame option to add or subtract hours from the systemclock would most likely be greatly appriciated.)
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jan 17 @ 8:30am
Wastelander233 Jan 17 @ 8:39am 
Options with the options menu:

1) real time clock (game matches system clock)
2) alternative game clock (day and night cycle runs on a 24 minute time frame)
- so 12 hours of game time is 12 minutes real time and 60 minutes real time is 60 secs game time)

Now my question for you all is can these be changed at any time or selected when the game is started? Changing time scales during gameplay could drastically affect difficulty.
C0untzer0 Jan 17 @ 9:05am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Omega man > I am Legend.
I really couldn't apriciate I am Legend since I just keept thinking they butchered Omega man.
The Book of I Am Legend > Omega Man > Z for Zacharia > looooooooooooaaads of stuff > I am Legend movie.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 17 @ 9:11am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Omega man > I am Legend.
The Book of I Am Legend > Omega Man > Z for Zacharia > looooooooooooaaads of stuff > I am Legend movie.
How does I am Legend movie relate to Twillight saga movies? :D
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 17 @ 5:28am