Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Scott Bullock Jan 16 @ 4:12pm
Greenlight going bye
Just found out through twitter that Greenlight is going away. This sucks because I have a game in development on Greenlight as well as others do. Nobody contacted me about it, and what does this mean for we developers who are trying to get our games on steam? Are we still allowed to or are we just kicked to the curb. This was going to be my big chance and now it has been taken away.
Showing 1-15 of 456 comments
< >
-Z- Jan 16 @ 4:30pm 
It's "going away" in Valve Time.

Go ahead and get comfortable. It'll be a while.
AusSkiller Jan 16 @ 5:33pm 
Also I suspect that any changes would be in the direction of making it easier to get onto Steam rather than harder so don't worry too much, though it might still be problematic if you were planing to spend money on advertizing your greenlight campaign.
Noxar Jan 16 @ 5:54pm 
wait do you mean it is closing?
evolution.400 Jan 16 @ 10:32pm 
Originally posted by -Z-:
It's "going away" in Valve Time.

Go ahead and get comfortable. It'll be a while.

If Half Life is any indication, that is an understatement.
Torpor Jan 18 @ 6:26pm 
sure greenlight is going to be off?
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 19 @ 11:21pm 
Originally posted by PROGAMER963:
Originally posted by Scott Bullock:
Just found out through twitter that Greenlight is going away. This sucks because I have a game in development on Greenlight as well as others do. Nobody contacted me about it, and what does this mean for we developers who are trying to get our games on steam? Are we still allowed to or are we just kicked to the curb. This was going to be my big chance and now it has been taken away.
i read this somwhere

people have been Spaming Grenlight with games that are fake''
Like Half life 3
There is a rumor Going Around That Steam Greenlight Is Putting a $100 fee for Entrys

The introduction of a $US100 fee (or donation, considering the proceeds go to Child’s Play) for developers to get themselves onto Steam Greenlight gave rise to two arguments. One side believes that games development is a business and if one can afford to create games, you should have the funds to spend on marketing. The other argument posits that $US100 is a lot of money and low-profile indie developers shouldn’t have to pony this up for the mere chance to make it onto Steam.

Yesterday, in the her article You Shouldn’t Have To Be Rich Or Middle Class To Make Video Games, Patricia Hernandez claimed that “most indie developers I know are starving artists for who $US100 dollars is a month’s worth of food”. She felt many of the responses online to the fee were “highly classist”; apparently, people either couldn’t understand why $US100 was a lot of money, or, why an indie developer looking to get on Steam and, therefore, sell a product, couldn’t find $US100 in their budget to put towards getting on arguably the largest digital distribution system for games.

While I understood the point the article was trying to make, I don’t think it considered that Steam Greenlight isn’t Kickstarter. Getting on Steam means getting your game in front of a massive audience so they can buy it, not fund it. My impression of Greenlight is that it’s for developers who are serious about development and working towards making it a career. This is a very different situation to the hobbyist developer after a bit of publicity.
You do realise that your post is rather offtopic since noone has discussed the fee previously in this thread?

and you posted the exact same poist in the other "closing greenlight?" thread.. Why?
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jan 19 @ 11:24pm
Sayori M.D. Jan 20 @ 8:56am 
Good.
Now get rid off the ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ "alpha" games. Got enough cancer on my Steam.
RazorWolf17™ Jan 23 @ 5:14am 
how do you find your own collection
RazorWolf17™ Jan 23 @ 5:14am 
on greenlight
Scott Bullock Jan 23 @ 5:55am 
Go to collections I think
jarin99 Jan 23 @ 4:43pm 
dude, you heard it on the internet, dont trust it.
endien # psssst Jan 23 @ 4:51pm 
is nice =DD
Arcangel <3 Jan 24 @ 2:11pm 
is it true ?
SolracGV973 Jan 24 @ 3:01pm 
okay
Skoardy Jan 24 @ 4:55pm 
Originally posted by imaek:
Before it goes..can you help
get Greenlit :D
Really dislike games/devs that muscle in on threads just for off-topic self-promotion. It's cheap and selfish.
Showing 1-15 of 456 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50