Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
bigpig96 Jan 13 @ 7:12pm
RPG Maker
I know this topic is very touchy on steam, but I just want to know the average opinion about it. I know there are games that are bad (if you look around in rpg's long enough you'll see a game called "The Adventure"). But IMO I think RPG maker shouldn't be hated so much on steam, I love those style of rpg games, but I think you should do heavy heavy artwork, your own music, a big story, and make it worth every penny, not something thrown together with stock images. Right now I'm working on a big RPG Maker RPG game, but I will not even look at steam Greenlight by how some people are like "Rpg maker? LOL no!" I know games like To The Moon got on here through greenlight. So the first question is, do you think RPG maker games should be able on steam if they are up to a good standard quality?
IMO I love those kind of old school RPG games and I'd gladly buy them, but no more than $5-$10, for a good RPG maker game, how much would you pay for on average for an RPG game?
(I know this part is getting a little off topic) I think of an RPG game, a turned taking battle, kinda like Earthbound or Final Fantasy, or some cool battles system but not a hack-and-slash. One reason I'm kinda supporting good rpg games is because I want to see more actual rpg games that aren't fast paced. So the final question is, are you getting tired of all the "RPG" games that have little to no rpg elements like older ones?
Please be respectful of other opinions, thanks!
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 13 @ 7:33pm 
I am not a fan of what is currently available.
I am not a fan of people buying a $30 piece of software and going "HEY I DEVELOP GAMES!"
It's a little frusterating.
IF you can produce a great game with it, by all means go ahead. But I can't imagine it well be well received initially.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 13 @ 7:37pm 
You want more JRPG styled rpgs?

I think the RPG maker hate comes from people that can clearly identify the product to be the work of someone playing around with RPG maker and not quite getting the assets to work together.
If you do a good job and make ecverything fit together its likely people will like it even if it is a RPG maker product. IIrc I've seen a few such games that were most likely RPGmaker games but stillhad positive things said about them.
Mayson the Minion Jan 13 @ 7:40pm 
Hard to say. I personally don't like them that much. I used to have a small RPG Maker project myself, but in the end I gave it up. I don't know, it feels a little lazy and there are a lot of bad examples out there. In the end it all depends on the developer, though.

To be fair, I also have to say that the public image RPG Maker games have is somewhat the fault of the publisher of the program itself, Enterbrain. Their software is sold for more than 60 bucks new and advertised as a full-fledged software with all assets available to make a good game. However, that is far from the truth. Most assets are very simple or in low quality, ranging from the visuals to the sounds and everything else.

Anyway back to the topic. You will have a hard time with an RPG Maker game because of how allergic people eventually react to the term 'RPG Maker'. However, if you have a lot of custom scripts, find a way to present the story in an interesting fashion and use your own assets and sounds in a coherent and believable style, you could pull it off. I'd certainly be interested to see someone prove a point by making a high quality game with that engine. Just don't expect to make millions with such a title.

As for your off-topic question, fast-paced games can also be RPG games. The problem is that RPG is a really broad term and it is interpreted different from developer to developer, not to mention that in the eastern world it is received a lot different from here (which leads to the J-RPGs). I personally have gotten used to the RPG term usually only hinting at some kind of level / attribute system.
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 8:14pm 
Okay, you really want to know why I downvote RPG maker games, because you don't have what it takes. Forget that it's a toy designer, and that most RPG Maker projects are a joke. You say you've got custom graphics, but if it's VX or XP, you can't make the graphics look anything than what was originally intended, no matter how good a sprite artist you are. I'm not trying to put you down, because it's not you. It's the toy engine that restrict's sprite sizes, which in turn makes everything look the same. You can't tell the difference from one project to the next and whats worse is you expect to be paid for something that we've all seen for free 1000 times before.

Now before you say, I'm wrong, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've never played with the system before. Bellow are two different projects built by me, issued free to the public, I didn't recieve a dime. Built in old school RM2K3, and your telling me you can make something like that, if you can, your free to try and I'd upvote it. Good luck figuring out how to map, it took me a year to master.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/169/opalfd3.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/373/screen14ta.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/27/prototype4.png

Honestly, I wouldn't sell these projects to a hobo, mostly because, even after I mastered RM2K3, I realized that I can't sell a scrap of this. The only reason I made them, was for fun.
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 13 @ 8:28pm
Mayson the Minion Jan 13 @ 8:25pm 
Originally posted by evolution.400:
Okay, you really want to know why I downvote RPG maker games, because you don't have what it takes. Forget that it's a toy designer, and that most RPG Maker projects are a joke. You say you've got custom graphics, but if it's VX or XP, you can't make the graphics look anything than what was originally intended, no matter how good a sprite artist you are. I'm not trying to put you down, because it's not you. It's the toy engine that restrict's sprite sizes, which in turn makes everything look the same. You can't tell the difference from one project to the next and whats worse is you expect to be paid for something that we've all seen for free 1000 times before.

Now before you say, I'm wrong, I don't know what I'm talking about, I've never played with the system before. Bellow are two different projects built by me, issued free to the public, I didn't recieve a dime. Built in old school RM2K3, and your telling me you can make something like that, if you can, your free to try and I'd upvote it. Good luck figuring out how to map, it took me a year to master.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/169/opalfd3.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/373/screen14ta.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/27/prototype4.png
You talk about Parallax mapping, don't you?
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 8:36pm 
I'm talking about mapping with sprites, which, saddly, most people working with VX and XP lack. They make a bunch of big bulky maps, most of which are devoid of detail or interest and think those are great maps. The worst of them all is with VX, because of the cruddy sprite restrictions, you can't make something look amazing, your forced to dumb it down.

Honestly, I can't stand it, which is why there isn't a project I have seen yet for RPG Maker, that would make me want to vote for it. My standards are simple, if you can make something that doesn't look anything like an RPG Maker project, you have my vote. It can be an RPG Maker project, but it can't look or feel like one.
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 13 @ 8:39pm
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Jan 14 @ 2:36am 
Using RPG Maker to make a game is akin to using any other program that is designed to aid in game design...granted, RPG Maker is designed to make the process much simpler, and thus we see so many simple results from it.

It isn't that the program isn't good for designing RPGs, it's that the people using it are mostly people who can't be arsed to actually test the bounds of what they can do with it.

One example I've seen of testing said boundaries (that played out more like a straightforward interactive story than an RPG, granted) was To The Moon. I thought it turned out rather well.
evolution.400 Jan 14 @ 5:29am 
I'd agree with that, except I've seen the restrictions VX imposes graphically. To say it's the users fault 100% would be a lie, as the system does have a lot of restrictions graphically, specifically, sprite sizes. XP not so much, but Panorama's are a pain to use, where as RPG Maker 2003 or RM2K3, restricts to 256 color and you can't get any wide screen resoultion.

Still, it's the main one thats graphically excepted because the number of resources are numorous, and the sprite artists knew what they were doing back then. Plus, I can make exceptional panorama effects, which makes projects look completely different from one another. With that, I need to leave for work, see ya in 8 hours!
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 14 @ 4:24pm
Price_51 Jan 16 @ 5:26am 
RUSSIAN.... hmmm.... maby Russians known what RUSSIAN mean... (-_-)
Mayson the Minion Jan 16 @ 8:14am 
Originally posted by -Rage'- Price_51:
RUSSIAN.... hmmm.... maby Russians known what RUSSIAN mean... (-_-)
EVERYBODY'S RUSSIAN!
Marmalade Chainsaw Jan 16 @ 10:53am 
the system does have a lot of restrictions graphically, specifically, sprite sizes

You can use whatever sprite sizes you want. The only real graphical limitation is the resolution.

There are games that I'm more than willing to pay for, though my game limit is usually about $15- past that point I tend to wait for a sale.

I, personally, wouldn't pay for an RPG using stock everything, since aside from looking overused and bland, I can't imagine how something claiming itself to be story-focused can use pre-made characters. Can't stand the default battle system either. I'd rather have no battle at all. To sum up, I prefer games that actually had desicions made about various elements, rather than going with whatever came with it by default.

It's quite good software if you're a) a hobbyist and just want to make stuff relatively quickly and easily, without a large amount of money invested or b) are a creative person (or people) wanting to focus on the more creative parts of making a game. But then you have a majority showing examples with c) people without any particular talents looking for a quick, cheap, and easy way to make some cash.

P.S. - To the Moon didn't get on through greenlight. Neither did Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.
evolution.400 Jan 16 @ 11:51am 
Newer versions, yes, but most still have the stock version when it was released.
Marmalade Chainsaw Jan 16 @ 11:59am 
Newer versions, yes, but most still have the stock version when it was released.
I'm talking about XP/VX/VX Ace. You could always have different sprite sizes in those.

Other versions, I wouldn't say are applicable in a discussion about commercial games.
evolution.400 Jan 16 @ 12:01pm 
I'm actually refering to VX, upon it's release it restricted sprite sizes, and then, was updated. Still... saddly, everyone uses the default sprite size, and everything looks the same... :( No one has any imagination or are too lazy to get the job done right. At least, when it comes to the RPG makers.
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 16 @ 12:02pm
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 13 @ 7:12pm