Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 1:16pm
RPG... *sigh*
When I was a kid, we had Role Playing Games, they were everywhere and very popular... Now... on Greenlight... Almost 1 out of 15 games claim to be an RPG. Action RPG, Adventure RPG, Racing RPG, Platforming RPG... (I get it, this is going to be a lengthy rant, because... well... I need to get this off my chest, think of it as my way of venting and try to take what I post with a grain of salt.)

You know how many games are out there that are like Dragon Age, or Drakensang, Baulders Gate? No... btw, I'm not talking about those one man Action/Adventure hack and slash Diablo's. I'm talking about a party system, Dialog Options, Choices that matter, Character Development (Level and good/evil), Inventory system with crafting, with a full world to explore (not sidescroll platforming nonsense) finally top it off, a story that gets the job done. Of course, we COULD have that, but then it would require work, and honestly, I can't think of an indie developer around here (besides the good folks who made Underrail) to actually attempt something like that.

Truely, I'm keeping my expectations low, and I honestly don't expect someone to build something like this. Troll/flame me if it makes you feel better, I'm just tired of people putting RPG in their genere because they have a level system or inventory management. My sole opinion, (Meaning only myself, I don't claim this is anyone elses opinion) is that most indie Dev's don't truely know what an RPG means. (Hint, the RP stands for Role Playing)

Nope, they'll make the quick games, the fast games, the I can tote out 1000 of these per minute games. Why go for a hit, when you can go for 20 fast and easy games. Though, I digress, I don't expect anyone here to make a true RPG, and fully expect everyone to make a mockery of it by attaching RPG to every two bit genere they can build. Allow the flamers/trolls to roll in, I've got it out of my system.
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
< >
Sera Jan 13 @ 1:36pm 
Consoles have or "had" good RPGs. I never noticed any that I really wanted to play on PC. The day I see a game like Tales of Symphonia or such like Final Fantasy on PC, I'll explode with joy. The only game on PC that I have seen that is close enough although not quite the same is "The Last Remnant" and that's about it. I'm not a fan of the diablo genre even though it's entertaining at times.

Otherwise, I'll continue to play the hybrid games with RPG elements. They are still fun but they aren't fully the same experience.
No One Jan 13 @ 1:49pm 
banner saga (not factions) is almost out . tactics style
TES does very well on pc . action rpg
square enix has the last remnant and FF7&8 on steam (at this rate we might get 10) traditional turn based

there are rpgs . granted you wont find any nippon ichi stuff (not yet anyways) but there are rpgs . and over time the ammount of real rpgs on steam may grow
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 13 @ 2:28pm 
Wastelands 2?
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Wastelands 2?

XD True, and I'm also excited to see more profesional titles down the pike. (SOUTH PARK!!! AND Pillars of Eternity!!!) Not to mention this is Brian Fargo's attempt at kicking butt and chewing gum... and he's all outa gum. Still, in terms of Green Light, he's a profesional in the industry, I'm refering to indie developers as a whole on Greenlight.

Though, again, very very excited to see this title.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 13 @ 2:42pm 
Veteran sure... but as he is afaik lacking a publisher for Wastelands 2 inXile is kind of independant... or "indie".
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 2:45pm 
Veteran sure... but as he is afaik lacking a publisher for Wastelands 2 inXile is kind of independant... or "indie".

Ahh, I stand corrected then. I wonder if Steam would just wave the Green Light for him since... you know, it's Brian Fargo, the guy who litteraly invented Fallout.

EDIT: OMG! I didn't even know you can get this now! Ahhggg... $60 bucks though... debating.
AusSkiller Jan 13 @ 3:08pm 
Lets also not forget about the myriad of other Kickstarter RPGs that got funded after the success of Wasteland 2 that are in the works, in the next year or so we should be seeing many CRPGs, a few TRPGs, a couple of JRPGs and I think even an ARPG or two and even a Richard Garriott MMORPG coming out because of that, so things are certainly looking up for real PC RPGs :D.

Of course it doesn't fix the problem of games with RPG elements ticking the RPG box here on greenlight, but I think that's really just a symptom of terrible genre definitions for games, having RPG elements does change the way a game plays pretty significantly so you really do want to know if a game has them or not, but unfortunately there's no real way to differentiate between RPG elements and an actual RPG on greenlight :(.
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 3:10pm 
You could, but then you'd have to ask Valve to add the genere: RPG Elements.

'It's like an RPG, but not really.' lol
AusSkiller Jan 13 @ 3:28pm 
Originally posted by evolution.400:
You could, but then you'd have to ask Valve to add the genere: RPG Elements.

'It's like an RPG, but not really.' lol
Yeah, like I said it's terrible genre definitions. Also most games would fall under the literal definition of "Role Playing Game" anyway since you play a role in almost all games, so under that definition it is technically correct for so many to be ticking RPG, but most gamers understand that RPG really refers to a more specific type of game so that ambiguity is probably causing some problems too.
Sera Jan 13 @ 3:53pm 
*eyerolls* Still, the RPG tag almost if not always refer to a game with a leveling system and stuff like that. People who look to far into the logic of tags will end ruining the genres of the games someday... How is it so hard for people to just leave it at that?
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 13 @ 4:10pm 
Hey! Sera! We did this already once! Remember? :D
evolution.400 Jan 13 @ 4:11pm 
Originally posted by Sera:
*eyerolls* Still, the RPG tag almost if not always refer to a game with a leveling system and stuff like that. People who look to far into the logic of tags will end ruining the genres of the games someday... How is it so hard for people to just leave it at that?

Mostly, I needed to vent, I saw a platformer on Green light and the guy was pushing it as an RPG because it had a level system. Not a tag, littleraly on the forum for his game, just ticked me off so I needed to vent.

EDIT: OH, and I bought wastelands 2 by the way. In then end, my Brian Fargo argument won out over the too much cost arguement. I mean, come on, it's Brian F'n Fargo!
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 13 @ 4:14pm 

Ahh, I stand corrected then. I wonder if Steam would just wave the Green Light for him since... you know, it's Brian Fargo, the guy who litteraly invented Fallout.

EDIT: OMG! I didn't even know you can get this now! Ahhggg... $60 bucks though... debating.
It will be cheaper later on the high price is mainly for beta access (but also some other "preorder" exclusives, read the EA box on the store page for more info). I think it's to dissuade people that dont really read and expect a full experience before the game is finished.
Sera Jan 13 @ 4:34pm 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
Shut up, you... I don't even want to argue with you. It's pointless and you're a freaking pain...

Mostly, I needed to vent, I saw a platformer on Green light and the guy was pushing it as an RPG because it had a level system. Not a tag, littleraly on the forum for his game, just ticked me off so I needed to vent.

EDIT: OH, and I bought wastelands 2 by the way. In then end, my Brian Fargo argument won out over the too much cost arguement. I mean, come on, it's Brian F'n Fargo!
Yeah, I checked recent games in greenlight and checked RPG for fun. I effectively found some games that don't even belong to the RPG genres yet still tagged with RPG. I can't really say I'm surprised... If you want to see a RPG platformer with a fitting RPG tag, check Reaper. It looks great, it has a leveling system, stats and damage counters so it works for the most.

I feel the need to come back to your first post. Not a rant against it but there is an interesting detail. You said "Racing RPG" and it reminded me that I recently played Sonic & All-Stars racing. Now I won't say it fits as RPG since the game is purely skill racing. Except each of your races do give you exp and levels, which unlock mods. There is possibly a few reason I wouldn't really consider the game a RPG though. The leveling system of the game does "not" improve your stats in any ways. You are not really better at Lv5 than you are at Lv1. A speed mod from say Lv3 will indeed makes you faster but it will also give you less acceleration or handling. Therefore, having higher levels give you nothing but more "choices" but those can't be changed mid-race anyway. We could say it's a RPG element but it doesn't affect races or your racing power much. I think it's an interesting feature, though.

Many game devs on greenlight just seem to slap random tags on their games, though... The more professional ones will do better and at least try to put the correct tags but if we consider the amount of crap on Greenlight, they are barely noticeable. =P
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 13 @ 4:37pm 
Originally posted by Sera:
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
Shut up, you... I don't even want to argue with you. It's pointless and you're a freaking pain...
I wasn't trying to start one. Just know that you have had a similar argument before. Don't make the same mistakes you did then, and you'll wipe the floor with this new guy :p
Hes not really doing a great job of hitting his point home....
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 13 @ 1:16pm