Steam Greenlight
jerrylive365 Jan 12, 2014 @ 9:53am
Greenlight games dumbing down gaming overall
IMO, Greenlight was a great concept but sadly I see it as an indy platform that is now out of control. Most games are just another side scroller with a different wrapper or someone trying to convince me that a retro, 8-bit looking game is cool. Its not!
While I appreciate what Greenlight can do for some, it seems the community will vote for almost any piece of junk that appears in Steam. I dont blame Greenlight or Steam, I blame the developers making these, dime a dozen, type of games.
Having said all that, there ARE some real gems here, but the over saturation of the marketplace with most of these games is giving a black eye to an otherwise great idea.

< >
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
C0untzer0 Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:09am 
Yeah, it's not like the world outside GL has ANY indie side scrollers or retro platformers, so it must be the fault of Greenlight.
jerrylive365 Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:35am 
Not at fault, just an enabler.
C0untzer0 Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:40am 
And yet your own headline: "Greenlight games dumbing down gaming overall" screams out accusations of fault. You might want to watch out for things like that.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:45am
Skoardy Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:47am 
Crumbs, other people like games that you don't like and that's a bad thing? You should definitely blow this out of all proportions and ascribe massive far-reaching importance to it.
Graeme Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:13am 
I agree with you. It's getting kind of sad really.

Originally posted by Skoardy:
Crumbs, other people like games that you don't like and that's a bad thing? You should definitely blow this out of all proportions and ascribe massive far-reaching importance to it.
People can like whatever they like. But an market seriously saturated with one product with few unique defining features does nobody any good.
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:23am 
Originally posted by jerrylive365:
Ior someone trying to convince me that a retro, 8-bit looking game is cool. Its not!
It is. Just not to you.
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
People can like whatever they like. But an market seriously saturated with one product with few unique defining features does nobody any good.
I'm having trouble understanding this GCG. The conflict between "saturated" and "one product" is confusing me. Are you saying that all the games are so similar that there is nearly no distinguishing onegame from another or are you saying one type of product ie: games? as opposed to say books?
C0untzer0 Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:30am 
IMO, Greenlight was a great concept but sadly I see it as an indy platform that is now out of control.
Isn't the idea of a free democratic process that it isn't really controlled by outside forces?

Most games are just another side scroller with a different wrapper or someone trying to convince me that a retro, 8-bit looking game is cool.
By which metric do you posit "most"?

someone trying to convince me that a retro, 8-bit looking game is cool.
Actually, they're not trying to convince you of anything, you're not that important. What they are doing is presenting a project for people who already think that that sort of thing is cool.

Its not!
That is purely your opinion.

While I appreciate what Greenlight can do for some, it seems the community will vote for almost any piece of junk that appears in Steam.
And yet quite a large number of games are not in the top 100. In fact, more games have been pulled by their devs/publishers, or by the admins themselves.

it seems the community will vote for almost any piece of junk that appears in Steam.
Nobody votes for anything that appears in Steam. Things that appear in Steam are already appearing in Steam, and need no vote.

I dont blame Greenlight or Steam,
You appear to be contradicting yourself, particularly your headline.

I blame the developers making these, dime a dozen, type of games.

Yes, it's a terrible shame that people are meeting the demands of the market, whyever would they wish to do such a thing?

Having said all that, there ARE some real gems here,
Then enjoy them. Were you expecting to ilke everything that ever got released?

but the over saturation of the marketplace
You know what defines an over-saturated market? A lack of demand for more. Do you see any evidence of that? Just because you're full, doesn't mean that nobody wants a fry.

with most of these games is giving a black eye to an otherwise great idea.

The fact that people like things you don't is ruining people being able to choose? Does the fact that Canadian teenage girls sell records suddenly mean that records are a bad thing now?
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:31am
Graeme Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:32am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
I'm having trouble understanding this GCG. The conflict between "saturated" and "one product" is confusing me. Are you saying that all the games are so similar that there is nearly no distinguishing onegame from another or are you saying one type of product ie: games? as opposed to say books?
I would argue that the majority of these 'indie 2d platformer" games are not dissimilar enough from eachother for there to really be any difference between them, in the grand scheme of things.
That would just be said to keep on topic with the OP- having been through Greenlight, we see, essentially, the same games repeating themselves. Whether it be a "pixelated 2d platformer" or a "space strategy" game.
Having such a broad selection of similar products does us nothing, we need new, and unique games. We need innovation.
By accepting generic games, we are indicating to developers that they need not push the boundries.
Kingsleaze Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:45am 
It would be nice if people could have normal discussions/debates without slinging insults and trying to sound way more clever than you are.

I definitely see the OPs point, but I also understand that a lot of people seem to like these games. I think Valve should sell the greenlit games in their own section. That way people that don't want to see them don't have to but they are still available for those who want them.

See, no hurt feelings, no snarky BS. :cgrazz:
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 12, 2014 @ 11:58am 
Originally posted by › JibbaJabba:
It would be nice if people could have normal discussions/debates without slinging insults and trying to sound way more clever than you are.
Are you implying someone has insulted someone here? Where is the insults in this thread? o.0 Have I become so desensitised that I can't even spot them anymore?

I definitely see the OPs point, but I also understand that a lot of people seem to like these games. I think Valve should sell the greenlit games in their own section. That way people that don't want to see them don't have to but they are still available for those who want them.
If you see the OPs point then you do not see the point of Greenlight unfortunately. And there are no such thing as "Greenlight games". There is no difference between the games accepted through the current public greenlight and the ones that got accepted through the previous internal greenlight (apart from possibly the ammount). Any percived difference is only in your mind and most likely exaggerated by psychological mumbojumbo.
(A trend I've noticed whenever someone complains about what passes through Greenlight, if you check the facts all these complaints are faulty/blown out of proportion/hyperbole. It seems to have to do with a human tendency to note and remember the negative outcomes more clearly than the poitive outcomes, which means any genre or type of games we don't like we will be convinced has more games in the greenlit section than all the other genres put together.)
C0untzer0 Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:06pm 
... we need new, and unique games. We need innovation.
By accepting generic games, we are indicating to developers that they need not push the boundries.
That's not a Greenlight issue, though. Exactly the same thing could be said to Activision, Ubisoft or any major publisher.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:06pm
Graeme Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:25pm 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
That's not a Greenlight issue, though. Exactly the same thing could be said to Activision, Ubisoft or any major publisher.

Well, it is a Greenlight issue. It takes two for the problem to exist.
The developers who are producing this generic crap are only half the problem- we are the other half.
By constantly letting these games pass through Greenlight we see dozens upon dozens of similar games appear on Greenlight.
If we don't demand quality, if we constantly settle for the same thing, over and over, that's all we will get.
hatter Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:34pm 
Some of the content that has come out is good but I agree if you look through most of the games it's a lot of the same old thing.
C0untzer0 Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:52pm 

Well, it is a Greenlight issue. It takes two for the problem to exist.
The developers who are producing this generic crap are only half the problem- we are the other half.
By constantly letting these games pass through Greenlight we see dozens upon dozens of similar games appear on Greenlight.
If we don't demand quality, if we constantly settle for the same thing, over and over, that's all we will get.
So Greenlight is responsible for all of the Football managers, COD sequels, and other iterative releases on the market? That seems a bit of a stretch.
erretter Jan 12, 2014 @ 12:53pm 
OP is 100% right.

There should be more then an 100$ fee for the greenlight listing. In many cases I feel that the dev(s) of the game could be avoided if there would be a minimum IQ requirement.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 12, 2014 @ 9:53am