Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:37pm
Which genre is overused.
Hello. I am getting started on project novus. I have not come up with how the game plays out but I have the basic story. The story can fit into any genre of gaming really but I must know: Which genre is over used/ under used? I don't want ♥♥♥ to make it like the other games on grenlight so I am wondering which genre is over used so I can avoid it. Thanks for any replies. I can do any genre (I have practiced with crappy but playable games).
Last edited by Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====>; Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:38pm
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
< >
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:42pm 
AH FINALLY! HERE!
Both genres and categories

Overused:
Zombies,
Platformers,
Cubes,
"survival",
RPGMAKER,
Space strategy,
Tower Defense
Shooters

Underused
Story oriented
Games with narrative
Explorative games with deep worlds

Will add more as I think of more
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:48pm 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
AH FINALLY! HERE!
Both genres and categories

Overused:
Zombies,
Platformers,
Cubes,
"survival",
RPGMAKER,
Space strategy,
Tower Defense
Shooters

Underused
Story oriented
Games with narrative
Explorative games with deep worlds

Will add more as I think of more
Thank you for some of these. The ideas I have are very story driven because I love coming up with great stroies.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:51pm 
Alright I would suggest focusing on that then. Make it beautiful, build the story- but don't make it short or visually uninteresting.
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:54pm 
Alright I would suggest focusing on that then. Make it beautiful, build the story- but don't make it short or visually uninteresting.
Trust me, what I came up with is very deep and confronting on some issues. Just need to get better at programing
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
I'm sure it is. What language are you planning on using?
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:56pm 
I'm sure it is. What language are you planning on using?
I have learnt a bit of python and currently reasearching C++.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:58pm 
Ah cool. Anyway, best of luck.
Sebastian Trafalgar Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:17pm 
I believe, it's beautiful, undeath!
Pyro Sherk Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Zombies definitely, FPS games too like CoD
AusSkiller Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:19pm 
Be careful starting with a story, there are a lot of issues doing that, watch the following vid that explains some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HoViH4vOU&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5ATCznEwJx794x4RMuYNZLN&index=15
The playlist it's in also has a heap of other great videos about narrative in games, and there are a lot of other extra credits videos that discuss other aspects game design that are well worth the watch for any game designer.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:22pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Be careful starting with a story, there are a lot of issues doing that, watch the following vid that explains some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HoViH4vOU&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5ATCznEwJx794x4RMuYNZLN&index=15
The playlist it's in also has a heap of other great videos about narrative in games, and there are a lot of other extra credits videos that discuss other aspects game design that are well worth the watch for any game designer.

This is true. Seasons 1-5 of Extra Credits are great for anyone starting out.
Regarding the story, I would suggest making a rough outline of the work. Once you choose an engine and begin constructing the game should you polish the story to perfection.
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:25pm 

This is true. Seasons 1-5 of Extra Credits are great for anyone starting out.
Regarding the story, I would suggest making a rough outline of the work. Once you choose an engine and begin constructing the game should you polish the story to perfection.
I have got Unity as my engine to work with.
Bloodseeker Edge -----(I====> Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:32pm 
I have the bare bones of the story and I have the game mechanics worked out. This unfortunaly is a one man project.
Allah_Babah Jan 3 @ 6:05am 
Overused:
"Retro"
"Nostalgia"
"Oldschool"
Underused:
Original ideas
Allah_Babah Jan 3 @ 6:11am 
And also "games with pixel graphic" just because its cheap. I dont have problems with pixel games... BUT devs usually say something like "We have beautiful retro graphic style". And they really think that its good feature? I respect all indie developers who still try to make good and stylish graphic in their games.
Last edited by Allah_Babah; Jan 3 @ 6:12am
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:37pm