Steam Greenlight
Which genre is overused.
Hello. I am getting started on project novus. I have not come up with how the game plays out but I have the basic story. The story can fit into any genre of gaming really but I must know: Which genre is over used/ under used? I don't want ♥♥♥ to make it like the other games on grenlight so I am wondering which genre is over used so I can avoid it. Thanks for any replies. I can do any genre (I have practiced with crappy but playable games).
Last edited by Commissar of Cykaland imperium; Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:38pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
Graeme Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:42pm 
AH FINALLY! HERE!
Both genres and categories

Overused:
Zombies,
Platformers,
Cubes,
"survival",
RPGMAKER,
Space strategy,
Tower Defense
Shooters

Underused
Story oriented
Games with narrative
Explorative games with deep worlds

Will add more as I think of more
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
AH FINALLY! HERE!
Both genres and categories

Overused:
Zombies,
Platformers,
Cubes,
"survival",
RPGMAKER,
Space strategy,
Tower Defense
Shooters

Underused
Story oriented
Games with narrative
Explorative games with deep worlds

Will add more as I think of more
Thank you for some of these. The ideas I have are very story driven because I love coming up with great stroies.
Graeme Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:51pm 
Alright I would suggest focusing on that then. Make it beautiful, build the story- but don't make it short or visually uninteresting.
Alright I would suggest focusing on that then. Make it beautiful, build the story- but don't make it short or visually uninteresting.
Trust me, what I came up with is very deep and confronting on some issues. Just need to get better at programing
Graeme Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:55pm 
I'm sure it is. What language are you planning on using?
I'm sure it is. What language are you planning on using?
I have learnt a bit of python and currently reasearching C++.
Graeme Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:58pm 
Ah cool. Anyway, best of luck.
I believe, it's beautiful, undeath!
Aksarben Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:18pm 
Zombies definitely, FPS games too like CoD
AusSkiller Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:19pm 
Be careful starting with a story, there are a lot of issues doing that, watch the following vid that explains some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HoViH4vOU&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5ATCznEwJx794x4RMuYNZLN&index=15
The playlist it's in also has a heap of other great videos about narrative in games, and there are a lot of other extra credits videos that discuss other aspects game design that are well worth the watch for any game designer.
Graeme Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:22pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Be careful starting with a story, there are a lot of issues doing that, watch the following vid that explains some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HoViH4vOU&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5ATCznEwJx794x4RMuYNZLN&index=15
The playlist it's in also has a heap of other great videos about narrative in games, and there are a lot of other extra credits videos that discuss other aspects game design that are well worth the watch for any game designer.

This is true. Seasons 1-5 of Extra Credits are great for anyone starting out.
Regarding the story, I would suggest making a rough outline of the work. Once you choose an engine and begin constructing the game should you polish the story to perfection.

This is true. Seasons 1-5 of Extra Credits are great for anyone starting out.
Regarding the story, I would suggest making a rough outline of the work. Once you choose an engine and begin constructing the game should you polish the story to perfection.
I have got Unity as my engine to work with.
I have the bare bones of the story and I have the game mechanics worked out. This unfortunaly is a one man project.
Butcher Jan 3, 2014 @ 6:05am 
Overused:
"Retro"
"Nostalgia"
"Oldschool"
Underused:
Original ideas
Butcher Jan 3, 2014 @ 6:11am 
And also "games with pixel graphic" just because its cheap. I dont have problems with pixel games... BUT devs usually say something like "We have beautiful retro graphic style". And they really think that its good feature? I respect all indie developers who still try to make good and stylish graphic in their games.
Last edited by Butcher; Jan 3, 2014 @ 6:12am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 101 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 29, 2013 @ 8:37pm