Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Trowa Barton Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:18pm
publishing a game on steam questions (region, drm, licence, ect)
hi i am a new to getting a game i made onto steam so i have some questions.
my game is a cross regional devolpment in the USA and JAPAN alongside mexico. i wish to sell my game on the Japanese steam as well as the US steam and have it not region locked. would that be difficult to do?

is it ok to have my game DRM free?

also what kind of end user licences are supported and not supproted?

Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by Trowa Barton:
hi i am a new to getting a game i made onto steam so i have some questions.
my game is a cross regional devolpment in the USA and JAPAN alongside mexico. i wish to sell my game on the Japanese steam as well as the US steam and have it not region locked. would that be difficult to do?
I assume you can work something out with Valve if you pass through Greenlight.

is it ok to have my game DRM free?
You may want to ask yourself if you have confused Steam with gog.com or Desura. DRM is pretty much baked in with any game sold on Steam.
How do you imagine any game sold through Steam to be DRM free? o.0

also what kind of end user licences are supported and not supproted?
That seems like something you want to discuss with Valve and possibly a lawyer (that is working for you).

PS: Valve doesn't really read this forum. I wouldn't expect an answer from them if I were you.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:33pm
Trowa Barton Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
i was aiming at answers from the comunity, thank you for your responce. is greenlight difficult to get though? its the only way to get published on steam right?
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:42pm 
Originally posted by Trowa Barton:
i was aiming at answers from the comunity, thank you for your responce. is greenlight difficult to get though? its the only way to get published on steam right?
I have no idea how hard it is. I guess it depends on the quality of your game, how you present it and how much you market it outside of Steam.

There are 2 options to Greenlight:
1) Having a big enough publisher that can push your game through by negotiating with Valve.
2) Win indie awards.

The first is going to steal your profits :p and the second is not very reliable.
orb Dec 21, 2013 @ 4:06pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
How do you imagine any game sold through Steam to be DRM free? o.0
There are actually games which use Steam as content delivery platform without employing its "run only through Steam" (Steamworks CEG) DRM feature. You can copy such game to another computer which doesn't have Steam installed and run the game directly through its executable just fine.
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 21, 2013 @ 4:32pm 
I did not know that. Thank you for the information :D
orb Dec 21, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
If you're interested, there is an example list of "DRM free" Steam games there: http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 21, 2013 @ 3:18pm