Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Georjack Dec 19, 2013 @ 8:11am
How much money is earned with a 2D game on Steam?
I plan to launch a 2D game and I have a question: How much money is earned with a 2D game on Steam?
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 19, 2013 @ 8:33am 
Depends on 3 things. 1) Price. 2) How much Steam takes (trade secret so no point in asking) 3) How many copies you sell.

Basically noone can answer that for you.
Skoardy Dec 19, 2013 @ 8:50am 
Originally posted by Georjack:
How much money is earned with a 2D game on Steam?
Accounting for quality, somewhere between zero and lots.
Georjack Dec 19, 2013 @ 9:24am 
Let's say that my game will cost $5.
Skoardy Dec 19, 2013 @ 9:40am 
Again, somewhere between zero and lots.
C0untzer0 Dec 19, 2013 @ 9:40am 
Then it will make [number of copies sold-number of copies refunded]*1-[percentage of commision+taxes]*$5
Georjack Dec 19, 2013 @ 9:47am 
So, I'll probably make over 100$ - Thanks all for help!
Last edited by Georjack; Dec 19, 2013 @ 9:47am
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:26am 
way to pull numbers out of thin air :p

Since you got your badge back in octobre I'm assuming this is not for that.. so is this a joke or what is going on?
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Dec 19, 2013 @ 10:27am
Georjack Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:15pm 
I not really understand what you want to say... But, I want to say that I hope to earn almost 100$ with my 2D game on Steam if will be added.
Malthersare Dec 19, 2013 @ 12:39pm 
so you only expect to sell 20 copies (not counting taxes so probably more than 20)... do you have so little faith in your game? Steam is huge to sell only around 20 copies would mean that either it was pushed from the front page straight away or that it is so bad that you can tell from the screenshots (and even then some people would buy it)

Also why be so specific about it being 2D? That doesn't cause you to gain less per sale you know...
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 19, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
I not really understand what you want to say... But, I want to say that I hope to earn almost 100$ with my 2D game on Steam if will be added.
Right, so your purpose is to earn back the money you spent to get the game onto Greenlight? o.0

Valve/Steam would hardly select your game to be greenlit if you can only get a handful of customers to click the yes button.

Maybe you should try with Desura or something instead?
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Dec 19, 2013 @ 1:01pm
Microsoft Word Dec 19, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
Interesting thread. More or less every gamers has thought about making their own game and I've always wondered this haha.
Skoardy Dec 19, 2013 @ 3:54pm 
What we're trying to convey is there's no magic number of expected sales. It depends on the game. If you churn out a turkey nobody wants to buy then no, you're not even going to make back your $100 Greenlight fee.

Basically, you're asking entirely the wrong question. Super Meat Boy sold millions but how your game performs is reliant on your talent, creativity and ability to recognise what the market is after.
Last edited by Skoardy; Dec 19, 2013 @ 4:00pm
Georjack Dec 20, 2013 @ 12:54am 
I want to make a 2D game with 3D visual effects, so, a brilliant game, but I'm fear that I'll get only almost 100$, but if you say that I'm wrong. We'll see, when I'll post my game on GreenLight.
Marmalade Chainsaw Dec 20, 2013 @ 1:09am 
If you're honestly expecting to sell only 20 or so copies, you will probably be wasting your $100 Greenlight fee. There should be a point where you say "this is better suited for a different store".
Georjack Dec 20, 2013 @ 1:16am 
What I want to say is that I think that the story about success to sell a game on Steam could be a falsehood and actually only ​​the games made by Steam are approved, and if someone comes here, a normal person, this will be not approved, or will earn less than $100. I hope you understand what I mean!
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 19, 2013 @ 8:11am