Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
TheDastardlyDutchman Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:36pm
When do you get to publish games on Steam without Greenlight?
I'm asking this as someone who would like to know when a company gets to publish its games on Steam without having to resort to the Steam Greenlight system. It's obvious that big games such as Watch Dogs won't have to go through Steam Greenlight. So how and or when would a company that has been using Steam Greenlight (or not) get permission to 'freely' publish their games on Steam?
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:44pm 
Originally posted by TheDastardlyDutchman:
I'm asking this as someone who would like to know when a company gets to publish its games on Steam without having to resort to the Steam Greenlight system. It's obvious that big games such as Watch Dogs won't have to go through Steam Greenlight. So how and or when would a company that has been using Steam Greenlight (or not) get permission to 'freely' publish their games on Steam?
You need a big enough publisher that can push for it in negotiations with Valve as well as have a big enough marketing campaign.
So it's not really about the game/developers but rather the publisher (that will take all your profits :p)

Edit: or so I would assume.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:45pm
TOP-Proto - Dominating Studios Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:48pm 
you have to have a proven sales record, a previous released game/app title helps, winning competitions help like the MOTYs.

If its your first game, you will need to go though greenlight AFAIK.
Last edited by TOP-Proto - Dominating Studios; Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:48pm
Mighty Rabbit Studios Dec 17, 2013 @ 6:00pm 
Unless you're an established publisher, the only way you're skipping Greenlight is to get into the Independent Games Festival.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:36pm