Steam Greenlight
What Software do i make game with?
Now i only just dicovered GreenLight and am interested on making a game but how do i make a game. Please answer steam and game maker people!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
C0untzer0 Dec 25, 2014 @ 2:23pm 
Whatever you're good with.
Shoppa Dec 25, 2014 @ 2:40pm 
clickteam fusion is really good and currently on sale
Gorlom[Swe] Dec 25, 2014 @ 4:09pm 
Originally posted by XBOXSO:
Now i only just dicovered GreenLight and am interested on making a game but how do i make a game. Please answer steam and game maker people!
Steam might not be the place for your very first attempt at makeing a game. You should probably try out some indie development community getting proper feedback etc.

Greenlight can be a very stressful and hatefilled place.
AusSkiller Dec 25, 2014 @ 4:16pm 
As far as the what the games industry uses:
For coding: Visual Studio.
For 2D art/textures: Photoshop.
For 3D models: 3D Studio Max or Maya.

But there's a roughly $5000 price tag attached to all that so here are the free alternatives that are nearly as good:
For coding: Visual Studio Express Edition.
For 2D art/textures: GiMP.
For 3D models: Blender.

Expect it to take a year or two to learn how to make a game. Then it will take a year or two to learn how not to make games, the first few games you try to make are going to be very poorly made and you weep with regret when you look back at them with experience, most developers go through this, it's normal. Then you can finally start working on the game you want to make safe in the knowledge it wont be complete crap :)
Skoardy Dec 25, 2014 @ 6:06pm 
Or you could just do what a lot of people in Concepts do - forget about the whole 'being able to make a game' thing and simply come up with a rip-off of your current favourite game, spend more time thinking about irrelevancies (what you'd charge for it, how you'd make it episodic, what DLC you're going to make) than the actual game itself and then write a three-line description riddled with spelling mistakes where you capitalise the first letter of every word. Don't forget to steal a lot of images from other games from the internet, preferably of a level of quality you'd never actually ever be able to attain and write the name of your game over the top of all of them in the hope that people will mistake it for your own work.

I wish I was being excessively cynical but this seems to be a daily occurrence.
Hurdye Dec 25, 2014 @ 6:58pm 
uhum
C0untzer0 Dec 26, 2014 @ 2:19am 
Surprisingly Aus didn't mention C++ as being all you really need (for the record, it can be, if you've got the chops.)
A lot of people let premade engines do the heavy lifting...
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Game%20Development/#p=0&tab=NewReleases
AusSkiller Dec 26, 2014 @ 7:13am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Surprisingly Aus didn't mention C++ as being all you really need (for the record, it can be, if you've got the chops.)
Totally, but procedural art can be challenging to get working, let alone looking good, it's MUCH easier to just create the art in the traditional manner ;).

Originally posted by C0untzer0:
A lot of people let premade engines do the heavy lifting...
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Game%20Development/#p=0&tab=NewReleases
Yeah using an engine is a pretty good way to cut down on development time if you don't have a LOT of experience developing engines, and provided you don't have any special requirements that your chosen engine isn't set up to handle.
C0untzer0 Dec 26, 2014 @ 7:22am 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Totally, but procedural art can be challenging to get working, let alone looking good, it's MUCH easier to just create the art in the traditional manner ;)
And even easier to pay a guy from the local art school (it's not like they're busy anyway)

Yeah using an engine is a pretty good way to cut down on development time if you don't have a LOT of experience developing engines, and provided you don't have any special requirements that your chosen engine isn't set up to handle.
Assuming the OP's serious about their level of noobdom, they're likely to run into their own limits before an engine's on the first run.

Now back to the usual...
A premade engine like Unity or Construct is great for throwing together a quick prototype to show to people who may want to join your merry band... etc.
Deggo Dec 27, 2014 @ 3:43am 
Expect it to take ten years or more to learn how to make a good game.

FTFY.
AusSkiller Dec 27, 2014 @ 5:26am 
Originally posted by UnrealDeggo:
Expect it to take ten years or more to learn how to make a good game.

FTFY.
Pretty much, though for a solo effort it wouldn't surprise me if it took a lot longer ;).
CrazyBoxHead Dec 27, 2014 @ 2:18pm 
The new thing is unity3d. Its a game engine, and it is pretty good. As well as blender and paint.net, they are all 3 free. I advise you not to do what other people are doing - Using assets in their game with no work(this is about 55% of stea mgreenlight games).
Cleril Dec 28, 2014 @ 12:13pm 
As far as the what the games industry uses:
For coding: Visual Studio.
For 2D art/textures: Photoshop.
For 3D models: 3D Studio Max or Maya.

But there's a roughly $5000 price tag attached to all that so here are the free alternatives that are nearly as good:
For coding: Visual Studio Express Edition.
For 2D art/textures: GiMP.
For 3D models: Blender.

Expect it to take a year or two to learn how to make a game. Then it will take a year or two to learn how not to make games, the first few games you try to make are going to be very poorly made and you weep with regret when you look back at them with experience, most developers go through this, it's normal. Then you can finally start working on the game you want to make safe in the knowledge it wont be complete crap :)

This man knows what's up.
Lokk999 Dec 28, 2014 @ 1:40pm 
How do you make a game?

That is a difficult concept to grasp. People say EA knows how to ruin them. I'd advise you to KEEP IT SIMPLE. This will make it easier on you as a developer, and on the customer when they play it. As you develop it further, you can worry about adding extra gameplay features. KEEP. IT. SIMPLE.

Write it out on paper first. Saves time and you can foresee any problems you might have, you can get a grasp of your entire game on paper before developing it. You then have clear goals and can reach them without going into a deep depression mid-development.

Use your own original work, not someone elses. Bill Cosby forced me to take my game off the internet because I used sounds and faces that I didn't own the rights to use. Try to make it completely original, or you will get a cease and desist letter, or worse, legal action taken. They WILL find out.

Like others have said, you are going to sacrifice a lot of your personal time making this game. It won't be easy! Nothing good in life is easy. Except love, love is easy. Set weekly goals, or draw a few assets a day in your personal time.

Use reference games to help you. Analyze how other games work. Play other games like the one you want to make, but when developing yours, keep it original.
AusSkiller Dec 28, 2014 @ 2:14pm 
Originally posted by Lokk:
Write it out on paper first. Saves time and you can foresee any problems you might have, you can get a grasp of your entire game on paper before developing it. You then have clear goals and can reach them without going into a deep depression mid-development.
Iteration is usually the best way to make a game the most fun it can be, you rapidly add features in a very rough state then play to see what about that feature is fun, if nothing remove them, if something then try to focus on doing that more and less of the stuff that isn't fun, then rinse and repeat until you are happy with the features. The problem is that it requires that you are willing to be very flexible with how your game plays and a problem with writing out a game design is that you can become too attached to it and less likely to stray from it, even if it isn't fun to play the game as it was written. So just keep in mind that any written design should be treated as a rough guide rather than a rule set to strictly adhere to because it may need to be thrown away as things rarely work out exactly as originally designed, and don't spend too much time on the details of it as they will almost always change, but it is always nice to have a guide for your development so you know what work work needs to be done and can better plan for how it will all fit together.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 25, 2014 @ 2:12pm