The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
jjb-54 1 Nov 13, 2014 @ 4:27pm
English & French
Okay, I filed a ticket, but I've learned to not hold my breath for Steam Support. ( I also went to Bethesda and hopefully they might have an answer. )

Here is the thing. I live in the Pacific North West - State of Washington. ( Read: English Language. )

I have Windows 8.1 PRO and a high end computer. All in ENGLISH.

So Skyrim, went through all the on-line help to no avail.

I totally Un-installed both Skyrim and Steam -- TWICE -- Yes, twice.

When you go to start your character - Nord, Orc, et all ... It's all in FRENCH.

. o O ( Yes, I checked the Skyrim.ini and other .ini and all is ENGLISH. )

I did not have this trouble before I bought my new computer. And then the FRENCH Language only started after I had to re-install Skyrim from a stupid mistake on part. . o O ( don't ask, just accept that I admitted it was STUPID on my part. That is all I will confess too. )

I can supply screen captures - as to everything states ENGLISH.

So for the life of me, why is the opening text in FRENCH?

When you are in game, if I turn on the Dialog options it is all in ENGLISH - except when I point to the hens - it says, "hun's" ( which I am guessing is French for Hen's?? )

I've ran cache verification - file verification - ini verification and am at a loss.

I posted this on NEXUS and have 3+ other people having the same headache, French instead of English and they too are looking for answers.

HELP!!!! :O . o O ( Please )
Last edited by jjb-54; Nov 13, 2014 @ 4:28pm
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
jreese46 51 Nov 14, 2014 @ 2:04pm 
Forgive me if you've checked this already, but if you go to Library > recent > Skyrim (right click) properties > language ...there's a drop down box. Did it somehow slip itself to French?
jjb-54 1 Nov 14, 2014 @ 4:18pm 
Originally posted by jreese46:
Forgive me if you've checked this already, but if you go to Library > recent > Skyrim (right click) properties > language ...there's a drop down box. Did it somehow slip itself to French?

No problem - I do not mind - Re-Checks - Yes, I did that and yes it's English.

I am really at a loss here, as the vocals are English - the Dialog ( spoken by the people and text ) is English - just the opening Character Settings and certain items are in French, like if your cursor is pointing to Hen - I get Hun. 98% of the stuff is in English - just a small percentage is in French.
jreese46 51 Nov 14, 2014 @ 4:40pm 
That's really weird.
jjb-54 1 Nov 14, 2014 @ 4:45pm 
That's really weird.

and very frustrating ... I have no idea, and not for lack of looking, trying and beating my head against a wall for inspiration.
jreese46 51 Nov 14, 2014 @ 4:46pm 
So,I was just googling and it seems a lot of people with the sudden French problem are on consoles, rather than PC, but I did find this from a couple of weeks ago. Apparently there's a second steam setting for language. Doesn't seem like it would have any effect on the Character Gen though.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/613940477683836683/
jjb-54 1 Nov 14, 2014 @ 6:25pm 
So,I was just googling and it seems a lot of people with the sudden French problem are on consoles, rather than PC, but I did find this from a couple of weeks ago. Apparently there's a second steam setting for language. Doesn't seem like it would have any effect on the Character Gen though.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/613940477683836683/

Thanks I'm going to check this out - I re-installed Bethesda Fallout New Vegas to see if it did the same thing, then maybe it might be some strange setting I need to solve. Nope Fallout NV is just fine - everything is in English.

Thanks again, going now to check it out!!
jjb-54 1 Nov 14, 2014 @ 6:27pm 
. o O ( sigh ) all were / are set correctly. :P Good fine, I did not fine that one. Much appreciated my friend!! :)
jreese46 51 Nov 14, 2014 @ 8:15pm 
Sorry I couldn't come up with a good answer. I'm stumped.
jjb-54 1 Nov 14, 2014 @ 8:52pm 
Sorry I couldn't come up with a good answer. I'm stumped.

Hey I appreciate the help - sometimes it takes a 2nd pair of eyes and I could have easily missed something.

Very much appreciated, mean that!! :)

Thanks!!
jreese46 51 Nov 14, 2014 @ 10:13pm 
No worries. I'm curious now, will post anything I find.
jjb-54 1 Nov 15, 2014 @ 9:04am 
No worries. I'm curious now, will post anything I find.

Should you find A Lottery Winning Numbers, will you share those with me too? I'll help buy and we can split it 50/50.

;)
jreese46 51 Nov 15, 2014 @ 9:41am 
That's 50 for Uncle Sam and 50 for us?
Roscaria Nov 15, 2014 @ 9:54am 
Wierd. Only thing I can think of to check is your Steam>Settings>Interface>Selct the language...etc.

Other than that it reminds me of a mod that was done by an asian (nothing racist intended here) which threw up non english titles in certain parts of the game. Good luck.
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 13, 2014 @ 4:27pm