Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
Justino Apr 1 @ 12:15am
Should TF2 have an advanced Workshoppe system?
First of all, I don't know if anyone has already covered why they have not done this, but here it goes anyway.
I know how to work files, but still, it would be kind of nice if you wanted a reskin, just to download it from the Workshoppe instead of searching different websites for it.
Now what I mean by this is that they should allow people to upload reskins to the Workshoppe, and that items in the Workshoppe should be seperated into two categories.

The first one is the stand alone item category.
In this category, you couldn't download a mod in this category, and you could only give it a thumbs up along with everyone else who likes it to possibly have Valve implement it into the game as it's own item.

The second one is the reskin category.
Reskins would be able to be downloaded simply by hitting subscribe, and then have a mods menu in the TF2 main menu where you can activate and deactivate mods, as well as delete them easily without having to dig into the files yourself.
Now like I said, you could only download reskins, sound mods, things like that.
If a mod or something gave any combat advantages, then it would be moved to the stand alone item category, where it could not be downloaded, and could only be supported to possibly have Valve implement it as it's own item.

Also, like most other multiplayer games with reskins or sound mods, only you and anyone else on a server who also has it installed could see the reskin or hear the sound mod.

Like I said, I don't know if there is an actual reason as to why TF2 doesn't have this kind of Workshoppe system, because games such as L4D2 and GMOD have this kind of system.
If there is a real reason as to why this is not in the TF2 Workshoppe, please let me know.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
sharifen Apr 1 @ 8:24am 
huh
Justino Apr 1 @ 12:05pm 
Originally posted by zakaharif:
huh

What?
[M4L]TheProJ70 Apr 1 @ 5:07pm 
umm....
sharifen Apr 1 @ 9:48pm 
well
Justino Apr 2 @ 6:10am 
Well since you all seem to be unaware of what I speak of, let me explain it.
Games such as Left 4 Dead 2 and GMOD, you can just download reskins easily from the Workshoppe, and delete them easily as well.
TF2 however, you have to just support all the items and hopefully have Valve implement them if they get enough support.
I think TF2 Workshoppe should let you download reskins and sound mods.
But you would still have to simply vote for any item that gives you a combat advantage, or is a hat.
sharifen Apr 2 @ 8:28am 
huh
Justino Apr 2 @ 9:45am 
Originally posted by zakaharif:
huh

Also, you can download most things you find in the Workshoppe as a reskin, but you have to download it from a third party website and dig through the files yourself to make it work.
Going through custom files is easy in my opinion, and it is normally easy to make sure a file is safe to download.
However, I still think they should make it more simple, in case someone who only has a novice understanding of custom files wants to get a mod but not have to deal with the files directly.
Last edited by Justino; Apr 2 @ 9:45am
Naxer -fk- Apr 2 @ 9:51am 
Don't care about zakaharif. As I looked through some threads he spammed every single one with "huh" and other useless posts. Probably same as [M4L]TheProJ70.

As for the idea. I reckon it's a useful system that for some unknown reasons isn't in TF2. I have played GMOD and L4D2 and I know these ones have this system.
I think this system would be troublesome because of the division. Some weapons might be just reskins for now but in the future they could be a project waiting to be added by Valve. Maybe that's the reason of this system.
Justino Apr 2 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by Naxer:
Don't care about zakaharif. As I looked through some threads he spammed every single one with "huh" and other useless posts. Probably same as [M4L]TheProJ70.

As for the idea. I reckon it's a useful system that for some unknown reasons isn't in TF2. I have played GMOD and L4D2 and I know these ones have this system.
I think this system would be troublesome because of the division. Some weapons might be just reskins for now but in the future they could be a project waiting to be added by Valve. Maybe that's the reason of this system.

Well I mean that if any weapon gives a real combat advantage, or the item is a hat, then it would be moved to the other category where you could only support it in hopes of Valve adding it as an actual item, and you couldn't download it.
sharifen Apr 2 @ 9:52pm 
naxer what the f*ck are you tarlking about
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 1 @ 12:15am