Left 4 Dead 2
Your own custom apocalypse
Discover and download new maps, Add-ons, Mutations and more! Want to try your hand at modding or want to upload your mod to Steam? Click here to learn more.
$exy Mu$tache Man Jan 30, 2014 @ 6:54pm
Can I add maps that aren't mine to the workshop?
Or is that against the rules/copyright etc?

Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Cavebob Spongeman 4 Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:09pm 
You can add mods that aren't yours so long as you get permission from the original authors. If the original author or authors cannot be reached or says no, then it is against the rules to upload the mod.
(Contrary to popular belief I'm fine with uploading other people's mods so long as you follow the damned rules and get permission first.)
Last edited by Cavebob Spongeman; Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:10pm
$exy Mu$tache Man Jan 30, 2014 @ 10:39pm 
Originally posted by Those Dirty Blues:
You can add mods that aren't yours so long as you get permission from the original authors. If the original author or authors cannot be reached or says no, then it is against the rules to upload the mod.
(Contrary to popular belief I'm fine with uploading other people's mods so long as you follow the damned rules and get permission first.)

I didn't want to download any co-op campaigns for L4D2 that weren't in the workshop. I figured I would add my favorite ones so that other people that were lazy could enjoy them without having to worry about downloading them from the website, extracting, finding the folder, etc...

Rectus 8 Jan 31, 2014 @ 12:30am 
According to the licence agreement, you have to be the creator of the content to upload it:
C. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

You furthermore represent and warrant that the User Generated Content, your submission of that Content, and your granting of rights in that Content does not violate any applicable contract, law or regulation.

Note that since Valve can use use your Workshop contributions commercially, you also have to obtain permissions from any copyright holder(s) to use all the content in the add-on commercially, both for yourself and Valve.

At least that is what I get from reading the workshop licence agreement, but I'm Not a Lawyer. I suggest you read it yourself before agreeing to it.
Last edited by Rectus; Jan 31, 2014 @ 12:47am
$exy Mu$tache Man Jan 31, 2014 @ 1:54am 
Hmm. No wonder nobody wants to upload maps to the workshop. I don't blame them. Thanks for slowly killing the workshop valve!
Cavebob Spongeman 4 Jan 31, 2014 @ 2:56am 
Originally posted by still curiose RE: turkey hole:
...Note that since Valve can use use your Workshop contributions commercially, you also have to obtain permissions from any copyright holder(s) to use all the content in the add-on commercially, both for yourself and Valve.

At least that is what I get from reading the workshop licence agreement, but I'm Not a Lawyer. I suggest you read it yourself before agreeing to it.

The way I view that statement is that you guarantee you made a body of work such as rigging or textures or sound editing, or did so with a team. You also guarantee that everyone on the team or somebody who speaks on their behalf agrees to the item being on the Workshop. That way actual copyrights and intellectual properties of companies don't specifically apply. You just have to certify that you did the porting and rigging yourself, not the actual model or concept.

There are companies that don't want their stuff in the hands of modders, and their policies should clearly state that. In that case, an addon is under a copyright violation claim, not a claim of original work. Again, as I see it, allowing a mod with an IP is a sort of consent from the company, as they do not care enough to have it taken down. It's a bit of a generalization, but given how popular some of these mods can get, they should be high-profile enough to garner the attention of any company with a copyright on whatever it is.
Last edited by Cavebob Spongeman; Jan 31, 2014 @ 2:56am
Cavebob Spongeman 4 Jan 31, 2014 @ 2:58am 
Originally posted by casemods-linux:
Hmm. No wonder nobody wants to upload maps to the workshop. I don't blame them. Thanks for slowly killing the workshop valve!
If somebody worked really hard on something, like a quality map, don't you think they should have the right to decide where it goes?
Rectus 8 Jan 31, 2014 @ 4:26am 
The way I view that statement is that you guarantee you made a body of work such as rigging or textures or sound editing, or did so with a team. You also guarantee that everyone on the team or somebody who speaks on their behalf agrees to the item being on the Workshop. That way actual copyrights and intellectual properties of companies don't specifically apply. You just have to certify that you did the porting and rigging yourself, not the actual model or concept.

The statement also says that the uploader needs to be able to grant Valve licences for multiple purposes including this:

You grant Valve and its affiliates the non-exclusive, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site.

There are companies that don't want their stuff in the hands of modders, and their policies should clearly state that. In that case, an addon is under a copyright violation claim, not a claim of original work. Again, as I see it, allowing a mod with an IP is a sort of consent from the company, as they do not care enough to have it taken down. It's a bit of a generalization, but given how popular some of these mods can get, they should be high-profile enough to garner the attention of any company with a copyright on whatever it is.

Copyright law can get really complicated, but as I understand it, as long as the owner doesn't put provisisons in the license, no-one is allowed to use or mod the content (with the exeptions of fair use).

Most companies likely don't have resources to police fan generated content themselves, but if they did, they'd very likely put their foot down. At least in US copyright law, holders can lose copyright if they don't enforce it, and enforcing it can get very expensive, especially against non-commercial use. So they often don't look, so they can claim not to have known about it if they have to take action.

And if Valve decides to make something like paid DLC or a cash shop, where both Valve and workshop contributors can earn money, copyright holders are going to start caring fast.
Last edited by Rectus; Jan 31, 2014 @ 4:27am
Cavebob Spongeman 4 Jan 31, 2014 @ 2:38pm 
A good reason why the Left 4 Dead 2 Workshop is free.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30, 2014 @ 6:54pm