Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
This topic has been locked
JABBASKI May 4, 2014 @ 10:18am
Why are all these games awful?
Why...?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 96 comments
Zero May 4, 2014 @ 11:20am 
Why not? Did you expect to see plenty of good games? I didn't. Greenlight is mostly a gate for indie games. You're supposed to expect tons of bad games.
C0untzer0 May 4, 2014 @ 11:34am 
Especially at the rate they're pulling off the cream...
Gorlom[Swe] May 4, 2014 @ 11:35am 
Originally posted by El Poopacabra:
Why...?
Because you have not understood the purpose of greenlight or that everyone does not share your opinion. Different people like different things.
plzhavmercy May 4, 2014 @ 12:14pm 
Because it's amateur work. Usually only the creators think it's fun.
Skoardy May 4, 2014 @ 12:27pm 
Originally posted by plzhavmercy:
Usually only the creators think it's fun.
Aren't we lucky to have someone who knows what everyone thinks, on the forum.
Ummm, some very amazing games have came from Greenlight.

Project Zomboid, Waking Mars, Broforce, Legend of Authereus, Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage, Recruits, Dawnstar, Inquisitor, Ocean City Racing, The Age of Decadence,
Contrast, Forced, Centration, Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves,
Signal Ops, Receiver, BloodLust: Shadowhunter, Heroes & Generals, Exoplanet: First Contact, Kenshi...

My guess is you played a few didn't like them and now are judging all of Greenlights games as BAD. You (OP) simply are talking out of your a*s. OR maybe you just don't know good games.

PLAY MORE GAMES, then judge. Some Greenlight games suck, some don't. Do better research, pick better games. And don't throw everyone under the same umbrella.
Last edited by Hempy F. Skywalker; May 4, 2014 @ 12:41pm
C0untzer0 May 4, 2014 @ 2:17pm 
Hempy, you're assuming he actually played some before deciding they're all crap? I think you're giving him too much credit.
(btw, I can't believe you missed Drox Operative from your list, personal taste I guess...)
Crow May 4, 2014 @ 2:47pm 
At least these people are doing something with their time. Still cool that people have interesting ideas....
Power of Seven May 5, 2014 @ 10:27pm 
To me, I wouldn't say that Greenlight games are all "awful", but I think that it's fair to say that a huge number of them are pretty disappointing.

By this I mean a good number of them lack any kind of creativity. For example, it doesn't take long to find a platforming game with a bunch of jumping puzzles and no new mechanics. Or a procedurally generated horror game where most of the scary parts are jump scares. Etc. Another problem is that several games have really questionable amounts of effort put into them. That is, they are either poorly or barely animated, flat textures, etc.

I'll just put it this way. If all of the creators were applying for a job or they were trying to start a Kickstarter, then I wonder how many of them would show off their current game submission as proof of their talent. I'm sure most of them would, but there's definitely some submissions that would be immediately hidden or quickly dismissed as a creative experiment. It's those submissions that make me wonder why they are here in the first place.
Last edited by Power of Seven; May 5, 2014 @ 10:27pm
MinisterJay May 6, 2014 @ 4:58pm 
Different types of games attract different people. Most of the games I am developing are educational, that focus on teaching a particular subject, but intertwine that with gaming fun. I know that will not appeal to the masses, but there is a niche for it. I get some thumbs down, maybe a higher percentage that the big timers, but I serve a niche. Developers have to find something original to attract those of the traditional genres, or find a new genre to serve.
Erretter May 7, 2014 @ 3:54am 
Trolls.
The answer ist trolls.
Troll developers.

Random people spent 2 hours in creating an abomination of a game.
Then they post here some fancy screens and a video.
Then those troll devs get some troll voters.
Next, the game get´s greenlit because of all the troll votes.
In the end the troll devs feel satified and we have one more game abomination on steam.

This is the real Steam 2014.
Skoardy May 7, 2014 @ 6:48am 
Why...?
MinisterJay probably got closest in his first line (before he went all a bit self-promotion-y) but the real answer is probably down to that age old problem... You can't understand the concept that other people like things that you don't like.

I know it's a lot to take on and you'll probably have to really work at it to fully understand the scope of the idea and how it's affected you all your life but please try. Once you've grasped that, a lot more things will make sense and you won't find yourself coming up with silly theories about a handful of trolls moving mountains.
C0untzer0 May 7, 2014 @ 6:52am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Why...?
MinisterJay probably got closest in his first line (before he went all a bit self-promotion-y)
And his last line.
Erretter May 7, 2014 @ 7:00am 
2/10 greenlit games that seem to be crap, are a matter of "unusual taste".

the other 8/10 have been greenlit through troll votes and bought chinese slave voters.
Last edited by Erretter; May 7, 2014 @ 7:02am
Gorlom[Swe] May 7, 2014 @ 7:35am 
Originally posted by Erretter:
the other 8/10 have been greenlit through troll votes and bought chinese slave voters.
If they have that kind of money to sponsor premium Steam accounts (accounts that has bought at least one game) in those ammounts (plus paying the chineese people for their vote), why would they go through Greenlight? They could just make a publishing company, publish a few games by other people and get their game onto Steam that way.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; May 7, 2014 @ 7:36am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 96 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: May 4, 2014 @ 10:18am