Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Hawk107 Apr 29 @ 10:05am
Better Voting System!
Well, title says it all,

I have spend my last 3 days browsing the "Greenlight" and it has been a total nightmare. From my perspective, and hopefully many other users, the voting system is designed for you to vote for the game you find most enjoyable, otherwise you spend hrs and hrs and.... (lets just leave it there otherwise itll not end, I warantee it!)

Point being made is, there should be a most reliable, faster, and friendlier voting system, where instead of going to the game page, you can vote right on the game menu (takes away the back and forth when voting, and giving chance to thumb down what i call "garbage" due to either being unoriginal, uninteresting, unethical, and all the un i can find in a dictionary. Now now, many are probably wondering: "what if they dont go to the game page, or maybe the game is good and people unfairly vote it?" Well, answer is simple, if the game is good enough to greenlight, then the cover, name, description, and characteristics of the game will be more broad giving those voting, a fair chance to discover new ideas or find interesting games! This way developpers, uploaders, and whatever you call it will invest a little more of their time and effort into promoting the game and caseshowing why the game should be voted for. Also, it would be wise to add a description that says the stage the game is, that way we can choose to vote for it later if we find it interesting.

I have skimmed through more than 20 pages by now, and sadly i have only found no more than 50 games worth giving thumbs up what so ever. only one game i am undecided due to the fact that the idea seems interesting, but the game does not have a gameplay to actually judge it fairly. so, meaning out of 30 games per page, i barely find 1 that actually catches my attention. if the voting system is fixed, we as a community can eliminate and censor what games get greenlit by being able to thumb down more games that actually deserve it, instead of just ignoring them and after time, getting a break through in this loopholed system by being greenlight!

Now, I do not hope everyone or, many understand my point of view in this. However, wouldnt your favorite game get voted faster this way by getting "rid" the games that are not worth your time?

ps. Yes, this would also bring many trolls into the system if it gets changed, and many games might miss their chance just because. However, i have hopes for the community to be fair and help this system improve instead of getting spammed every week with useless releases. If someone have any more ideas that can support or help this, and that it can change the way we vote, please feel free to port it and share with others. Who knows, we might actually change the way greenlight works into our favor!

pss. well, yes, i felt lazy to browse, but bear with me, 20 pages of greenlight, then browsing the forums for a needle in a haysack? =/ i at least tried google without any hit? that counts right? so, i apologize in advance if i am double posting or not supporting an already opened discussion.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Apr 29 @ 10:24am 
Wouldn't it be even easier for you to not bother at all?
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 29 @ 11:00am 
instead of going to the game page, you can vote right on the game menu (takes away the back and forth when voting, and giving chance to thumb down what i call "garbage"
I don't understand. By back and forth do you mean that you don't use the "next item" button to the right after you have voted? Are you not using the que system at all?

if the game is good enough to greenlight, then the cover, name, description, and characteristics of the game will be more broad giving those voting, a fair chance to discover new ideas or find interesting games!

Where do you see the description of the game if you're not looking at the games greenlight page where the vote buttons are?
Are you advocating judging a book by it's cover to the extent of looking at a name and a small square image that more often than not says nothing about the game?
Changeing it wouldn't have any bad imact on anything since "downvoting" doesnt really do anything except remove the item from your que... you just might miss something you would otherwise find fun.
But I have to ask why do you bother at all if you judge by so little information?

I have skimmed through more than 20 pages by now, and sadly i have only found no more than 50 games worth giving thumbs up what so ever. only one game i am undecided due to the fact that the idea seems interesting, but the game does not have a gameplay to actually judge it fairly. so, meaning out of 30 games per page, i barely find 1 that actually catches my attention.
50 divided by 20 is 2.5 I'm a bit worried about your math skills if you somehow get "barely 1" when doing that equation. or did you add 30 to the 20 before dividing? if so why??
if the voting system is fixed, we as a community can eliminate and censor what games get greenlit by being able to thumb down more games that actually deserve it, instead of just ignoring them and after time, getting a break through in this loopholed system by being greenlight!
Huh? ignoring and pressing the "no thanks/not interested" button is the same thing. You can't censor anything. I don't think you fully understand how greenlight works.
Seriously try the "next item" button after you vote next time.

Now, I do not hope everyone or, many understand my point of view in this. However, wouldnt your favorite game get voted faster this way by getting "rid" the games that are not worth your time?
No, I can't say I have... your p.o.v. a bit confusing because of what I assume to be misunderstandings regarding how Greenlight works. Also where (what page) do you want to be able to vote on games from?
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Apr 29 @ 11:01am
Hawk107 Apr 29 @ 11:24am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
sadly i did, it didnt help as much since it keeps loading and what not, from the game list itd make voting easier instead of wasting time on games you already know are crappy enough to thumb down. and, at the last game, its glitched sending you to the community page instead of going to the next game on the next page. also, if you place your mouse on top of the image, it provides a small description of the game, as to what type of game it is and an avreviation of the description given by the "publisher" in many cases. or the person uploading the game.

I do not judge by so little information, i judge by how i feel about the game, if there is no effort on advertizing the game, why should it get my vote? also, most of the times i read the comments on games i am undecided, wether to give it a chance or not, and vase my vote on other people's opinion about the game. it does not have to match mine to beging with, all i want is a better system to make the voting simpler.
wilco64256 Apr 29 @ 11:31am 
First world problem - it takes too long to click the "Next item" button. I can live with this, I really feel each project at least deserves a few seconds of time to at least look at more than the single project art image and an abbreviated description. Granted, I've downvoted the majority of games I've looked at, but there are very few where I would have reached that conclusion based solely on the project art.
Hawk107 Apr 29 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
First world problem - it takes too long to click the "Next item" button. I can live with this, I really feel each project at least deserves a few seconds of time to at least look at more than the single project art image and an abbreviated description. Granted, I've downvoted the majority of games I've looked at, but there are very few where I would have reached that conclusion based solely on the project art.

I do agree on your point of view, and i have the same opinion, but most of the ones i ignore are actually not worth adding into steam. i watch reviews and read comments on wether to base my vote towards or against the game, if i feel the idea is original and there is effort into the game, then i gladly give it my vote, and it will catch my attention, even if the art is suckish.

However =-= itd be easier if i could just down vote all the spam of the same games over and over in greenlight without even going to their pages.
Last edited by Hawk107; Apr 29 @ 11:43am
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 29 @ 12:06pm 
also, most of the times i read the comments on games i am undecided, wether to give it a chance or not, and vase my vote on other people's opinion about the game. it does not have to match mine to beging with, all i want is a better system to make the voting simpler.
If you press the "yes" button based on other peoples comments without intent to buy the game I'm going to have to ask you to please be a dear and stop "voting".
"pity voting" is about the douchiest thing you can do on Greenlight imo. If your mind is merely changed and you decide you would be interested in buying the game based on what others think about it, then that is fine. But if you are sabotageing the system and feeding Valve false data I would rather see that you stop voting all together.

If the comments makes you vote "not interested" on a game you were previously interested in then that is fine too as "not interested" doesn't change anything and doesnt technically feed Valve any false data.
However =-= itd be easier if i could just down vote all the spam of the same games over and over in greenlight without even going to their pages.
If you are not using the que system anyway you can just ignore the games you're not interested in. The "no" button only removes the item from your que. There are no adverse effects on the games chances to get greenlit. Valve doesn't track the raw number of "not interested" button presses since they aren't interested in if you don't like the game. They are only interested in how many people they can sell it to.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Apr 29 @ 12:10pm
Hawk107 Apr 29 @ 12:16pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Which is why a way to vote from the game list would be more optimal for this, i have gone 3 pages serious about voting and am already bored of my mind out of stupidity uploaded than something id actually like to vote on. candy crush saga games? gone through around 10
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 29 @ 12:40pm 
First: Why are you answering me inside a quote attributed to me inside a quote?

Second: Why would it be more optimal? What does it change for you?
[HELL]-Doflamingo Apr 30 @ 2:01am 
so confused -,-
Skoardy May 1 @ 7:23am 
The last thing Valve should do is add a system for voting to aid people who can't be bothered to view the game they're voting on. It would essentially defeat the point of the data they get back.
Gorlom[Swe] May 1 @ 7:43am 
welcome back skoardy.
Nothing BOT Triceps May 6 @ 8:49am 
I totally agree!
vaniTe May 6 @ 9:01am 
Nice idea ;)
Too right mate !! :D
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 29 @ 10:05am