Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
tsukutsukubasa Apr 28 @ 10:21pm
What is offensive material?
The rules and guidelines say there can't be offensive material in the games here. Does that mean sexual stuff? Or does it mean no blood and guts? Is foul language allowed? The rules were very vague about it.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Apr 28 @ 11:45pm 
To quote a chief policeman on the subject "One man's ♥♥♥♥ is another man's poo" In other words, Offensive Material is material that offends somebody.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 29 @ 2:00am 
Racist crap is usually pretty darn offensive so be sure not to include any of that. :D
(I think the only time it's ok is when it's comming from the nazi bad guys that you shoot in the face repeatedly for beeing racist.)
tsukutsukubasa Apr 29 @ 3:44pm 
would archetypes, like nerds or jocks be considered discrimination
AusSkiller Apr 29 @ 7:56pm 
Originally posted by tsukutsukubasa:
would archetypes, like nerds or jocks be considered discrimination
Could be, it really depends on the context, if it's done in a humorous context then it would be unlikely to be considered offensive, but if it was serious then it probably would be offensive.

I'd suggest keeping everything on the Greenlight page as family friendly as you can without misrepresenting your game, so try to avoid offensive language, nudity, excessive violence, or other offensive material unless it is an important part of your game that people should be aware of, and if you do have to show it you should probably blatantly censor it so people know it's there but it wont actually offend anyone. You could probably get away with showing it in a video though as long as you put up a disclaimer at the start of the video warning viewers about the content. But your best bet is to contact Valve and ask them directly exactly what is and isn't acceptable on Greenlight.
CDMP Apr 29 @ 7:57pm 
Nah
iwocat May 4 @ 8:08am 
By all things you said there must be no South Park: Stick of Truth, but it is here and it is awesome...
Skoardy May 4 @ 8:20am 
And it's censored in various countries but you're right - as long as the indie developers wishing to push the envelope have the oomph of huge companies like MTV and Ubisoft behind them and base their game on an established/popular TV show that's been running for nearly two decades, I'm sure they'll all be fine.
Metzg May 4 @ 10:08am 
7/10
AusSkiller May 4 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by LittleBig♥♥♥♥:
By all things you said there must be no South Park: Stick of Truth, but it is here and it is awesome...
There's one key difference, the OP is asking about what is acceptable for the Greenlight page, not what is acceptable in the game, they are two completely different things and have different restrictions. A Greenlight page is publicly available with no age gate so anyone including young children can easily stumble onto it so it needs much tighter restrictions on what can be displayed to avoid people being exposed to offensive content they shouldn't or don't want to see. A game is usually hidden behind an age gate, warnings about content, a purchase and a download/install, so usually only informed people of appropriate ages can access it which means it can contain quite offensive material without upsetting people who are either too young or too sensitive for it. If you look at all the publicly available information about South Park: The Stick of Truth you'll find that most of it does not include the offensive material from the game, and only mentions the offensive material in a much less offensive manner.
Pyromaniac May 6 @ 12:13pm 
thats so true
Skoardy May 6 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by Killer:
thats so true
What is, specifically? Please take time away from polishing your new spam-a-forum badge to explain your thoughts...
tsukutsukubasa May 18 @ 5:54pm 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
Could be, it really depends on the context, if it's done in a humorous context then it would be unlikely to be considered offensive, but if it was serious then it probably would be offensive.

You could probably get away with showing it in a video though as long as you put up a disclaimer at the start of the video warning viewers about the content.

The player character insults the enemies alot. I guess if I just don't quote teh game that'll be fine.

"Lot of blood, graphic violence, and brains." I can say stuff like that on the page right.
C0untzer0 May 19 @ 12:11am 
Originally posted by tsukutsukubasa:
The player character insults the enemies alot. I guess if I just don't quote teh game that'll be fine.

"Lot of blood, graphic violence, and brains." I can say stuff like that on the page right.
Consider for a moment the movie "Aliens" It has blood, organs all over the floor, and quite a large amount of swearing. They still cut together a couple of trailers which suggested these things without including them.
‎Hungry Hank the toilet May 24 @ 9:41pm 
how is this related to green light?
orb May 25 @ 3:33am 
Originally posted by Hungry Hank the toilet:
how is this related to green light?

About Greenlight:
What do I need in order to submit my game?

Are there any restrictions on what can be posted?

Your game must not contain offensive material or violate copyright or intellectual property rights.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 28 @ 10:21pm