Steam Greenlight
What type of horror do you enjoy?
I am making a horror game and as said in my last thread here, I do not want my game to be genric and overall boring. So, to ask all of you, what would you want in a horror game?
Ostatnio edytowany przez: Postal Dude of Cykaland; 27 kwietnia 2014 o 22:55
< >
Wyświetlanie 1-9 z 9 komentarzy
Gorlom[Swe] 28 kwietnia 2014 o 0:23 
I don't want horror games overall. but if you have to make one do avoid jumpscares... they are cheap :p
make alot ofr jumscares in that game i like scaring moments but at new games like amnesia are not scary i played alot of these horror games but they need more jumpscares :)

/
erretter 28 kwietnia 2014 o 4:11 
Jumpscares are the lowest form of horror.

If you can create a permanent creepy atmosphere where even a flickering shadow makes you want to put the game down, it´s the highest and best form of horror.

Jump scares... are like jokes about babys running around in a filled diaper. If you are the bottom of society and have no education at all, then you can laugh about this. It´s the same kind of persons that enjoy jump scares.

>Everybody< can create horror through jump scares. Creating an atmosphere is something that needs talent.
Ostatnio edytowany przez: erretter; 28 kwietnia 2014 o 4:12
Gorlom[Swe] 28 kwietnia 2014 o 4:46 
I wonder if Theharddubstep is serious....

Eretter: a bit harsh formulation perhaps? You don't need to insult people that enjoy jumpscares that crudely.
AusSkiller 28 kwietnia 2014 o 7:45 
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV95GPdRZtk

And apply it to the game. Keep the number of jump scares to a minimum, a few very occasionally are good to help break the tension and keep the player on their toes, but any more often and they become expected and lose all impact on most people. Keep as much as you can a mystery too, never clearly reveal the source of the fear, keep it vague so that the player's imagination can fill in the details with their own personal worst fears.

Also personally I like a bit of mind ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, something like being given a gun, and then being taunted by a shadowy figure that you are encouraged to hunt down, then when the figure confronts you and you instinctively shoot it the shadowy figure demonstrates how ineffective the gun was and that he was unharmed, and then side steps to reveal that you've shot through him and hit some innocent person that is now dying because of you. It can be very difficult to pull off, but tricking the player into doing something horrific that they really didn't want to do can be quite powerful stuff, Spec Ops: The Line did some of that sort of thing quite well. Screwing with the player in a way that makes them question themselves is something I don't think is done enough in games, occasionally change the details in the level when the player isn't looking just minor stuff like the position of a notepad on a desk, the color of a room, the clothes someone is wearing, or my personal favorite the changing the name of a character (for no reason just have everyone in the game suddenly start referring to a well known character by a completely different name), the original Max Payne games did some good stuff along those sort of lines very well in the drug induced scenes. Stuff that keeps the player from getting used to the game's environment and the rules that govern the reality of it leaves them far more susceptible to fear because they wont truly be able to become comfortable in it.
Ostatnio edytowany przez: AusSkiller; 28 kwietnia 2014 o 7:46
Nicolon3L 28 kwietnia 2014 o 14:34 
i like the alone in the dark scenario i recommend to use that kind of horror; good and evil battle is so scary for me XD
In summary:
Avoid Jumpscares (Unless it is used for tension breaking, even then, use sparingly)
Vaugueness
Atmosphere
Choices that makes the player reflect on what they have done.

Sounds like a good mix of horror that I personally would enjoy. Thanks for the responses!
Ostatnio edytowany przez: Postal Dude of Cykaland; 29 kwietnia 2014 o 3:39
DAZ 29 kwietnia 2014 o 7:18 
  • Keep jumpscares at a minimum! They work two or three times but after that, they´ll become stale incredibly fast and are not scary at all anymore.
  • If you´re doing a first-person game then I´d like to see a full body awareness. When I tilt the head of the character down, I want to see the rest of my body and not nothing. This greatly helps the imersion.
  • For the type of horror I prefer psychological horror, like Amnesia: The Dark Descent did. It left a lot of things to my imagination and I was often unsecure if the noise I just heard, was a possible threat or not.
  • Don´t show the monsters too early and/or too clearly. Unknown things are much scarier. This is also something, which Amnesia:TDD did very well: You only caught a glimpse of that thing in front of you, and when you tried to get a better look, the character´s view blurred.
  • Keep weapons and ammo scarce or don´t include them at all. The feeling of beeing hunted is much more intense.
The only time weapons would be present is to give a certain... choice to the player.

(So sorry to respond, I just wanted to see if there was anymore posts on the thread)
< >
Wyświetlanie 1-9 z 9 komentarzy
Na stronę: 1530 50

Data napisania: 27 kwietnia 2014 o 22:55