Portal 2
Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
rubiks.cat 1 Apr 27, 2014 @ 7:18pm
edit old test chamber
I made a test chamber forever ago and have since deleted the files from my computer, however they are still on my steam account. I showed the map to my friend a few days ago and she found a solution that I hadn't intended to be in the map.

is there a way for me to edit my map even though I no longer have the files on my computer?
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
presto668 10 Apr 28, 2014 @ 8:30am 
If it's a map made in the in-game editor, AFAIK there's no way to convert the .bsp file (the compiled map file) back into a .p2c file (which is what the editor wants). You *can* decompile the .bsp to a .vmf and edit it in Hammer if you like.
rubiks.cat 1 Apr 28, 2014 @ 7:01pm 
well. I have some experience with hammer. I'll try decompiling the .bsp
presto668 10 Apr 28, 2014 @ 9:34pm 
You'll need BSPsource from http://ata4.info/bspsrc/downloads.html.

Then you have to figure out the name of the .bsp file, which is harder than it sounds because the directory will be named a long string of numbers. You'll find it in <your Steam directory>\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\maps\workshop. I usually just run the map, then bring up the console as soon as the map starts and look for a line complaining about a missing commentary file maps/workshop\<some directory>\<some filename>.txt. The <some directory> is where to go for your .bsp file.

When you're done, use p2map_publish.exe in your common/portal 2/bin directory to push the map up to the workshop.
Last edited by presto668; Apr 28, 2014 @ 9:39pm
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 27, 2014 @ 7:18pm