The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
Shaidin Apr 25, 2014 @ 9:25pm
Mini Map Creation?
I am looking for a mini map (that sits in the right hand top corner?) that actually is in game so you don't have to access the surface map constantly.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
jjb-54 1 Apr 26, 2014 @ 10:18am 
It would seem your's is not the first request for such a thing.

But ....

Seems like it's still in a 'request' stage - as I was not able to find one.

As there are a number of posts for such a thing - but I was not able to find one.

I saw one Demo of an example ... but it was on the upper left corner and took a good chunk of the screen. I do mean a good chunk. Which is likely why such a thing was not done, as I type this while thinking about the dynamics of it.

Too small and it's not really useful - to big and well ... that's not useful either.

The size would be the issue - it would either be too small to be useful or to big .. thus I doubt there is a "Goldilocks Zone" where such a map would work.
Shaidin Apr 26, 2014 @ 9:10pm 
@ jjb-54 Well the person willing to try could use a version like the one used in wow its the size of like 2.5 - 3 iches and the map is zoomable in or out and it moves with the direction as you move as well... its more guidance than constantly going to main map to see about direction your in. Plus, the line that you have on top of your screen where it shows the quests that are marked is nice but it dont tell you about the mountain you will end up kissing or how large of a detour you will have to make to go around it, if that makes any sense... And those markers could be incorporated into the mini map but not necessary.
crapmonster Apr 27, 2014 @ 1:27am 
Its either impossible or extremely difficult to implement. As jjb-54 already clearly stated, there has already been a constant and large demand for this as a mod and no one has been able to do it.

That said, why would you need to use your map to figure out direction anyways. Just use waypoints and the ingame compass. Basically the only time you ever need to use the overworld map aside from doing custom waypoints is to fast travel.

The only time I can envision anyone wanting this feature is in dungeons and caves but I find I never use the maps there regardless since they are kind of terrible.
jjb-54 1 Apr 27, 2014 @ 11:33am 
@ Shalidin -

I will be glad to show the screen captures - basically if you go below 2.0 x 2.0 Inches - you really do not have a viable map - the Compass at the top - gives you better direction of N - S - E - W and special Marker that you put to give you your direction. Plus just your in game FOV will give you as much information as a 1.5 or smaller map would.

The Problem with 1.5 - 2.0 and 2.5 is you have a very good chunk of your screen gone - and I have mine set on the highest resolution possible - I have a View Sonic 26" HDMI Monitor and a graphics card that can handle it....

So I see clearly - to make a map that is viable / useful simply cannot be done without cutting out your in game FOV screen.

Thus, I can see why no one has touched it. Just simply not viable.
Shaidin Apr 29, 2014 @ 9:56pm 
Yes, its true its mostly for the waypoints but i use the map a lot for guidance how most people use it and so do I to a degree; but, I dont particularly care for the compass since i keep all my quests marked. Besides that I am an older rpg'er and I'm used to the little map in 1 corner or another to use as guidance. But it would be really awesome for dungeons/caves as well.
Shaidin Apr 29, 2014 @ 9:57pm 
I don't see how a 2" x2" can block FOV. I have used that size of maps in other games and it never ruined my gameplay at all. But I also play zoomed out to see as much of the land layout when I play. Doesn't matter if I'm on my laptop with a 19" or my main with a 45" Sanyo tv/monitor screen, the little map doesn't get in my way, at least for me. Thou I would be interested in seeing the screen capture to see what you mean.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 25, 2014 @ 9:25pm