Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
² Apr 24 @ 10:33am
Greenlight needs new rules
I saw 3-4 people/developers who posted 4-6 games with no video and all these games looked the same. (nothing special just exactly the same game with different skin)
There should be a rule where developers/authors can't post several games all at once.
Maybe only after a week (1 game per 1 week) This is kinda like spam and I don't like to see several games that look exactly the same and were posted as a joke,scam or advertisement.I have down voted every game posted by the same author, I didn't waste my time.

Can people READ?
A game requires 1 video and 4 screenshots, a lot of people don't care about this and they expect a "yes" vote? Well there should be a restriction, like nobody can't post a game if these requirements aren't filled.This way the requirement won't be ignored.
A lot of people already commented "no video no vote" on many games.
Description is also important.

People who post games as a joke or as a game that is fake or offensive should be punished or banned from Steam Greenlight for some time. I know a few developers who did this but I don't want to say names. Those who have voted every single game know about who I am talking about.

Greenlight really needs some new rules/restrictions if not then it will turn into a junk hill full of spam and fake games.
Last edited by ²; Apr 24 @ 10:34am
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
wilco64256 Apr 24 @ 10:53am 
It doesn't need new rules, it just needs people to follow the ones that are already there. When they don't, they get downvoted and the system works exactly as intended. The problem solves itself.
C0untzer0 Apr 24 @ 11:01am 
Wilco, with all due respect, I think you mean "Enforce" rather than "follow". We all know how loose the moderation tends to be around here.
Of course, saying any more on that particular subject skirts close to the limit of the forum rules and common nettiquette...
Last edited by C0untzer0; Apr 24 @ 11:03am
Skoardy Apr 24 @ 11:13am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Wilco, with all due respect, I think you mean "Enforce" rather than "follow". We all know how loose the moderation tends to be around here.
Basically, this.

'Loose' is a generous way to put the moderation applied to the Greenlight and Concepts section - if there actually is moderation in the Concepts section any more. Picking the lowest hanging of fruit, there's currently five 'Minecraft' entries going back over a month. Sure to have been reported countless times and not exactly a tough call when it comes to the whole 'Hmm, I wonder if this is legit?' thing. Why would the last even a day?

Whoever was tasked with moderating Greenlight & Concepts and making sure those rules were followed clearly can't even manage that simple job. There doesn't need to be new rules, just new moderators.
wilco64256 Apr 24 @ 11:53am 
Well, I'm not entirely sure anybody was ever given such a task. The rules are there, but I've never seen any evidence to indicate that anybody at Valve is tasked with enforcing them aside from projects that are reported for legal issues.
Skoardy Apr 24 @ 12:32pm 
Whether there's no-one doing the job (which would be a massive oversight and completely backwards) or there's someone assigned the task and coasting, the results are essentially the same. Given the Minecraft entries and all the many other request pages, even projects with obvious 'legal issues' aren't getting moderated.
Last edited by Skoardy; Apr 24 @ 12:32pm
Satoru Apr 25 @ 6:38am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Whether there's no-one doing the job (which would be a massive oversight and completely backwards) or there's someone assigned the task and coasting, the results are essentially the same. Given the Minecraft entries and all the many other request pages, even projects with obvious 'legal issues' aren't getting moderated.

I've seen several projects get yanked fairly quickly off of Greenlight

Note that 'stuff that lokos like Minecraft' is not a copyright violation. That would be like saying a ll 'pixel games' are the same.
Skoardy Apr 25 @ 7:15am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Note that 'stuff that lokos like Minecraft' is not a copyright violation. That would be like saying a ll 'pixel games' are the same.
It's a good job that I wasn't talking about 'stuff that lokos like Minecraft' at all then, isn't it? I'm talking about people who are actually putting Minecraft itself up on Concepts.

Also, if you see something disappear quickly on Concepts, chances are it's one of the rare occasions when the person who submitted is has seen sense and will have removed themselves.
wezzii Apr 25 @ 5:24pm 
FOR SURE
Skoardy Apr 25 @ 5:42pm 
Originally posted by LEPO LEPO:
FOR SURE
You've never once voted on Greenlight but you think it needs new rules? Oh, sorry, you were just spamming for your badge.
Mite Apr 26 @ 6:28am 
It's soooo annyoing that uncomplete games get Greenlit and complete games don't. :P I think a rule of some sort would help here, too.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 26 @ 7:27am 
Originally posted by Mite:
It's soooo annyoing that uncomplete games get Greenlit and complete games don't. :P I think a rule of some sort would help here, too.
Incorporating the Steamworks API (or whatever) takes some time as well so technically no game is complete.

Also it's a pretty stupid and illthought through rule. There are several reasons why it wouldn't work very well.

Please stop treating Greenlight as the store front. If you are looking for released games look in the store.
C0untzer0 Apr 26 @ 7:30am 
The only change which needs to be made is to stop idiots from voting. Or from posting useless spam in the fora.
Skoardy Apr 26 @ 8:05am 
But not as annoying to the devs as having to have a finished game sat in Greenlight earning no money while you've still got bills to pay. In the grand scheme of things, I think any reasonable person would be able to suffer having unfinished greenlit.
Live_2_Win May 27 @ 1:34pm 
It does not need new rules because it is going away. It will be open for anyone to publish thier Unity3D games in. I think they will probably remove it from the main site as well so you can filter out home made games.
Cleril Jul 29 @ 1:33pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Incorporating the Steamworks API (or whatever) takes some time as well so technically no game is complete.

Also it's a pretty stupid and illthought through rule. There are several reasons why it wouldn't work very well.

Please stop treating Greenlight as the store front. If you are looking for released games look in the store.

The API is optional though.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 24 @ 10:33am