Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
snhworks Apr 22, 2014 @ 8:42am
Request Software | Sub Forum
I understand there's a section to request a game, but what about software? I'm always keen to take on a new pet project and I generally release my applications for free with the option of donating, but no in-your-face advertising.

A sub-forum like this could help developers with idea's for new applications. In many instances within Steam's Greenlight community, the word 'game' has the hidden meaning of 'software' too, but for clarity sake, could a new sub-forum be created? It's quite apparent that most people seem to think that the Valve developers/employees don't read these threads, but I'm pretty sure they're fully aware of what's being said, regardless of whether or not they reply.

Just a thought.
Last edited by snhworks; Apr 22, 2014 @ 8:53am
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
wilco64256 Apr 22, 2014 @ 8:44am 
Developers would never come to Greenlight trying to find out what they should do next. The request subforum is just a place to shovel all the totally pointless threads from people who can't be bothered to read the FAQ that were clogging up this real forum.
snhworks Apr 22, 2014 @ 8:48am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Developers would never come to Greenlight trying to find out what they should do next. The request subforum is just a place to shovel all the totally pointless threads from people who can't be bothered to read the FAQ that were clogging up this real forum.
Thank you for the reply. I somewhat see where you're coming from in the second half of your response, but I'm here trying to figure out what I should do next, along with several staff within my company.

We're seeking pet projects simply to challenge ourselves. Development is more of a passion than a job.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 22, 2014 @ 9:48am 
I'd think you'd have better luck going to a forum, website or community dedicated to such things.
The greenlight forum request area is ... not used for the intended purpose. all that gets posted there are already existing titles.

And considering noone else has really wanted or tried to use the greenlight forum to request software yet I imagine that there won't be much demand for it after the subforum is created either. While it might be a nice idea I don't think you will get much out of it.
snhworks Apr 24, 2014 @ 1:30am 
Thanks for the reply Gorlom.

Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
And considering noone else has really wanted or tried to use the greenlight forum to request software yet I imagine that there won't be much demand for it after the subforum is created either. While it might be a nice idea I don't think you will get much out of it.

Understood, can't exactly argue with that. Would you mind leaving me a popular site/forum URL on my profile that we may be able to checkout? We have looked around, but most of the software listed is rather simple - a little too simple.
C0untzer0 Apr 24, 2014 @ 1:54am 
Take it on the road. If you're looking for software development projects take one or two of your more social staff to a convention and press flesh with people from companies that might want your services.
snhworks Apr 24, 2014 @ 3:23am 
Thanks C0untzer0.

When I speak of my/our staff, I don't mean we're a company seeking work, I do work for a development corporation and we do have plenty of projects. By 'staff', I meant myself and a few colleagues that are keen for more challenges as true pet projects and/or hobbies.

Your reply is appreciated, however, we don't get enough of these conventions in South Africa, although I am looking forward to PyConZA 2014. Again, thanks for the replies guys.
Last edited by snhworks; Apr 24, 2014 @ 3:24am
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 22, 2014 @ 8:42am