Steam Greenlight
Swearing
I'm about to submit a concept to greenlight, and one of the concept pictures I'd like to post contains some vulgar language. Would that be against the community guidelines since they speak against posting "inappropriate" and "offensive" content?

I'm just asking 'cos the last thing I'm looking for is my submission to be reported or banned.

Cheers!
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 13 sur 13
If you're not sure, the safest bet would be to simply not post that image.
wanna300454 a écrit :
I'm about to submit a concept to greenlight, and one of the concept pictures I'd like to post contains some vulgar language.
Serious question - does it need to?
Skoardy a écrit :
Well, it's part of the game itself, so I guess so.

I'm gonna go with wilcos suggestion. Better safe than sorry. Thanks :)
wanna300454 a écrit :
Skoardy a écrit :
Well, it's part of the game itself, so I guess so.
What is it about the game that requires vulgar language?
Skoardy a écrit :
I don't see why you need to have answers to these questions, but in my vision, it's supposed to help the user feel more badass.
It's also an extension of me. I'm a person who, look at it however you want, swears a lot, and that part of me has made itself into the game.
wanna300454 a écrit :
Skoardy a écrit :
I don't see why you need to have answers to these questions, but in my vision, it's supposed to help the user feel more badass.
Well, you posted on a discussion forum. Are you surprised that when you brought up a subject in public, people weren't just there to serve you answers? It's not a one-way street.

If being asked about your game makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should wait before submitting to Greenlight. People tend to ask questions.

Does the player need to swear to make them 'feel more badass'? Doesn't their actions in the game fulfil that role. I've seen reviews of games before where the journalists have picked up on vulgar language and they seem to agree that it's a form of lazy character development. Like gruff/gravelly voices on marines or glasses on scientists.
Skoardy a écrit :
Well, you posted on a discussion forum. Are you surprised that when you brought up a subject in public, people weren't just there to serve you answers? It's not a one-way street.

If being asked about your game makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should wait before submitting to Greenlight. People tend to ask questions.

Does the player need to swear to make them 'feel more badass'? Doesn't their actions in the game fulfil that role. I've seen reviews of games before where the journalists have picked up on vulgar language and they seem to agree that it's a form of lazy character development. Like gruff/gravelly voices on marines or glasses on scientists.

I got nothing against you asking questions, buddy. And I'll have no problem answering more when I submit to greenlight. And I'm in no way surprised, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth.

I just think it's weird that you ask such mysterious ones. By all means, do ask. It's good for your thirst of knowledge to be quenched. And in fact there are my answers to your question right there.

Also, the player doesn't swear, nor does the player's character swear in the game. It's the narrator that swears. Yes the actions of the player fulfils that role of feeling badass, and that's why I said the narrator helps the player feel "more" badass. I want to instill a sense of success in an "against all odds" situation.

Once more, this game is an extension of who I am. Should critics not feel a liking to my game (and hence, who I am), I'll have no problem with anything they say. They are entitled to their opinions and feelings as I am entitled to my personality.

I don't want to start a flame war here pal. I found your question a bit weird, and I'm sincerely sorry if have offended you. It was not in my intention. I hope I've answered your questions, and please ask more should you still be puzzled :)
Dernière modification de Snack; 19 avr. 2014 à 11h05
hat figyelj ...
DO NOT SWEAR !!!
I just sought to understand the game. It's easy to give a glib answer (like Inframe, above) or to tell you to avoid posting the image but then a problem may still exist when you try to get greenlit. I believe there's a difference between crudity that serves a purpose and just swearing for the sake of it - in that if the same message can be gotten across without it, it'd benefit the the developer's chances and game (making it available to a much wider audience) to try to work around it.
@Skoardy, for some games swearing is entirely appropriate, for instance if it has characters that are supposed to be offensive, it is dealing with issues like abuse/bigotry/racism or if it uses humor/themes conducive to swearing, and it can be rather jarring to deliberately avoid any swearing in such games and can detract from the it. The setting for some games also makes it hard to use fake swearing like in Battlestar Galactica or Red Dwarf with frak/smeg and unlike TV bleeping often feels out of place in games so it's not easy to side step the issue either. Without knowing any details about the game he is making I think we should just assume it's the kind of game that swearing fits in and just help him with his original query, though I do agree that if it isn't necessary then a game shouldn't have it.

@wanna300454, if the swearing is a part of the game you wish to let players know about I'd suggest just black boxing the offending words in the screenshots so players know it's there but isn't going to be problematic for Valve, if it's not something you particularly want to show then you are probably best just not having that screenshot. If it's in a video it can be tricky to black box it and/or bleep the audio, but it would probably be acceptable to just put a disclaimer at the start of the video warning viewers it contains coarse language.
@AusSkiller, Thanks. I've ended up quickly switching up the swear word in the picture with something less offensive.

@Skoardy, I can understand your concern and I appreciate it. But even so, should I censor myself for the greenlight, in no way means I'll censor myself in the final product,
@AusSkiller - Like I said - "I believe there's a difference between crudity that serves a purpose and just swearing for the sake of it."
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 13 sur 13
Par page : 1530 50

Posté le 18 avr. 2014 à 16h27