Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
lucasmaxbros Apr 18 @ 1:14pm
Voting Comments
I like it when I'm doing something wrong, or something right. That way, I can improve on a game I'm developing. I've received a bunch of No votes before, and that's fine!(I think my current project I've shown too early to public)

But I don't get any real information when a person votes yes or no, other than they want it or not. What I wish for voting is that when you voted you would have a list of options that you would have to post alongside it, that way the developer could know how to improve it in the future.

Does anyone think that this would help developers improve their games?
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Skoardy Apr 18 @ 1:35pm 
Originally posted by lucasmaxbros:
Does anyone think that this would help developers improve their games?
No, you'd just get people clicking whatever would get them past this new time-sink the quickest.
lucasmaxbros Apr 18 @ 1:48pm 
Yeah that's what I kind of thought that too. What percentage of voting do you think people just spam no or yes on projects rather than actually inspect it? From what I've experienced so far, I think there is a lot.
aTomic Apr 18 @ 1:56pm 
That would help alot!
C0untzer0 Apr 18 @ 2:00pm 
Originally posted by Walker | Gone Games:
That would help alot!
I doubt it. I'd lay odds that 3/4 of the "voting comments" would be the default top selection. You'd just end up with lazy voting being compunded with lazy option checking.
orb Apr 18 @ 2:57pm 
For me adding options for "Yes" and "No" votes wouldn't make sense.

I usually vote "No" because that isn't something I'm looking for, and not because there's something wrong with the game's development (e.g. it's presented too early), but maybe with a small exception for games which were resubmitted multiple times without any signs of improvement, which initially interested me, but then I simply leave a comment in the comments section. The explanation for my "Yes" vote is also very simple.

The only (not really) vote I could see options to choose from might be when I choose "Ask me later". There are many games which land there when I vote, and although I have only 38 games on that list at this time, it's just because many of them have been already greenlit while I was still undecided if I would be interested in playing them or not. And there I could choose for example that I didn't vote yet because the game was presented too early in the development, or there was too little information presented, or maybe I'd play it, but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for, etc.
wilco64256 Apr 18 @ 3:42pm 
If people want to provide more information beyond the simple yes/no that's available, there's already a great system in place for that. People who feel the need to provide feedback already do so in the comments section. I'm not sure that forcing folk to pick an extra option beyond their vote would accomplish anything more useful than the system that we already have.
Skoardy Apr 18 @ 3:58pm 
Yeah that's what I kind of thought that too. What percentage of voting do you think people just spam no or yes on projects rather than actually inspect it? From what I've experienced so far, I think there is a lot.
Out of interest, considering all you've got from people is a yes/no vote, how have you arrived at the conclusion that people are just randomly hitting yes/no rather actually voting?
lucasmaxbros Apr 18 @ 5:05pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
Out of interest, considering all you've got from people is a yes/no vote, how have you arrived at the conclusion that people are just randomly hitting yes/no rather actually voting?

Well I don't think all of them are "random"(What I should say is people who vote "NO" without much thought), I can't read peoples minds. But that's just it. If I voted on a concept or game I would explain my reasoning as to why I chose which. It just seems lazy when you don't give feedback to the creator, since that can help them with their creation or move on to a different one.

And I like feedback because it tells me what I need to change or capitalize on so that in the future my game does better because of it, or I just get better experience.

Of course, I'm just an inexperienced game maker on Steam, so what do I know.
Skoardy Apr 18 @ 8:14pm 
It just seemed you were reading into what was fairly binary data.

People aren't obliged to leave comments, it's purely optional. You're not entitled to a comment so there's no 'laziness' involved.

Sometimes, I don't feel leaving a comment could 'save' the project - that's there is simply too much of a gulf between what the game is and what I personally would be looking for. Not enough hours in the day to waste time charting the extensive shopping list of failure for some games.

Sometimes, I've no interest/experience in the genre itself so opinions on whether I thought the game would benefit one way or another would be unhelpful.

Sometimes you see page after page of comments (the occasional valid question/suggestion in amongst the usual drivel and pointless ascii thumbs) that goes unanswered and unacknowledged that you think leaving any comment would be a waste of time.

Other times, you can tell from other comments and the dev's reactions that the dev is so inexperienced that they'd be too defensive to take any feedback on board and it's simply not worth the bother.
Gorlom[Swe] Apr 20 @ 6:04am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:

Well I don't think all of them are "random"(What I should say is people who vote "NO" without much thought), I can't read peoples minds. But that's just it. If I voted on a concept or game I would explain my reasoning as to why I chose which. It just seems lazy when you don't give feedback to the creator, since that can help them with their creation or move on to a different one.

And I like feedback because it tells me what I need to change or capitalize on so that in the future my game does better because of it, or I just get better experience.

Of course, I'm just an inexperienced game maker on Steam, so what do I know.
You do realize that most no "votes" will simply be from people that are not interested in the genre? If people are answering the question correctly then most games in Greenlight should have an overwhelming majority of "not interested" answers since nothing can appeal to everybody. And any feedback from those answers would be pointless since they aren't your demographics. The only feedback from people not interested in the genre would be along the lines of "make a X genre game instead".

Don't look at "no "votes"" as "dislikes" from face book. It's just that people doesn't share your interest. This isn't hindering your progress towards getting the game greenlit. Valve only counts the "yes" answers anyway.
Those that does share your interest will most likely comment in the comment section.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Apr 20 @ 6:05am
Skoardy Apr 20 @ 7:41am 
I've just checked your game again and noticed that C0untzer0 took the time to comment on your project and offer what I think is some quite astute advice.

Your responses come off as very defensive and dismissive. If I'd come to your project ready to make a comment, just seeing how you responded to C0untzer0's post would certainly put me off.
Sera Apr 20 @ 9:57am 
I was curious about this thread and I happened to read his game's comments thanks to you. Then I noticed this: "2. Okay, that's fine. The Brony community gave me the response to this idea and said they would love it."

Here's a bit of information for you, OP. The Brony community would take any crap involving ponies. In fact, you would give a turd costume to a pony and they would still love it. Whatever you feed them with ponies, they'll take it.

On thread: As others have said, commenting on a project is purely optional. You must also realize that as the dev of the game, what you do and say may affect what people thinks of you and your game. If you're rude with people who comment or if you don't look like you know what you're doing then most people won't support you and won't be interested. One of your first steps is to understand that you will see different opinions, especially if you push your game further than concepts.

Never, I repeat, never delete comments that you don't like unless they are purely offensive and break the basic rules of discussions. If you receive a feedback you don't like, it is better to reply to it with a professional attitude rather than just deleting it and trying to hide it.

As for votes, the yes/no you get only shows the interest people have toward your game.
☭╬SSoSUNDeR╬☭ Apr 21 @ 3:05am 
so good
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 18 @ 1:14pm