Steam Greenlight
BeariumLP Apr 11, 2014 @ 8:27pm
What languages does the steam greenlight support
I Do some game design but i only design over python and i was wondering if i tried to get a greenlight is it ok if the game is made from python/pygame.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
W0roxtag Apr 11, 2014 @ 11:01pm 
english
AusSkiller Apr 11, 2014 @ 11:48pm 
Depends on exactly what you are asking, Greenlight has no requirements at all on that front since you do not actually release your game on Greenlight, as for Steam I think it will work with anything that can be run with a .exe or platform equivalent native executable regardless of what language it was written in, however the Steamworks API (which is optional) only supports C++, but if you want to use the Steamworks API from another language you can usually create a C++ wrapper DLL to expose the API functions you need to your language of choice.

So if you compile your python code to a .exe (see http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm) you should be able to distribute the game via Steam. I'd advise using C++ or at least C# for a game though, interpreted languages like python can be quite a lot slower, even when compiled, so they aren't as suitable for games.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Apr 11, 2014 @ 8:27pm