Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
guubear Mar 28, 2014 @ 10:28am
Greenlight Concepts section is not your Facebook page
Please, there are people who genuinely want the community's feedbacks on the games they are working on. It's not a dumping ground for game requests.

And trust me when I say no one finds the "troll lalala!!1!!111" kind of posts funny when it's posted on the Concept board. I don't know. Maybe that's the most clever thing they can come up with inside their underdeveloped brains.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
endrikk Mar 28, 2014 @ 10:29am 
а по русский
Flotilla Mar 28, 2014 @ 3:33pm 
That's why no one visits it, and why there's a $100 barrier to gain entry to the part of Greenlight that people care about.
YARR HARR Mar 28, 2014 @ 3:58pm 
I can agree with you guubear, this kind of junk reminds me of youtube videos where the guy asks everybody to vote 1 or 2. there are at least 100 guys out of 3,000 or more comments who go "vote1vote1vote1vote1vote1vote1vote1vote1..." it makes me sad that people are doing this kind of stuff on greenlight. Those guys worked hours upon hours to make those games, and all you give them is a troll? dat just ain't right bro, just ain't right
Smiths Chips Mar 28, 2014 @ 6:43pm 
I've had an idea for a game for quite some time - well before Greenlight and kickstarter took off. Would you consider this section (the discussion area) the right area to post such an idea and if not here than where else?

I don't want to be classified as a "troll" (even when I'm not trolling) just for posting cool ideas that I've wanted to express for a long time.
Last edited by Smiths Chips; Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:33pm
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 28, 2014 @ 8:03pm 
Originally posted by Aussie Convict:
I've had an idea for a game for quite some time - well before Greenlight and kickstarter took off. Would you consider this section (the discussion area) the right area to post such an idea and if not here than where else?

I don't want to be classified as a "troll" just for posting something that I've wanted to express for a long time.
No, the discussion area is not the right place. The concept section is. Flotilla is hyperboling when he says noone visits it.
But I would suggest that you might want to look into gamedevelopment forums and communities outside of greenlight as well to discuss your game idea.
Smiths Chips Mar 28, 2014 @ 9:28pm 
Yeah I see your point Gorium, but there is no real reason why new game ideas couldn't be in the discussion area. The whole point of Greenlight is to develop new games from a grassroots level. I don't think that Greenlight should and was designed for already formed game ideas ONLY - it was also made to innovate and share ideas too.

I do however see your point with the difference between Concepts and Discussions and how ideas for games should be covered in Concepts rather than here, but I don't entirely agree with the fact that new game ideas can't be proposed in the Concept area before it has been formed into a completed idea.
Last edited by Smiths Chips; Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:32pm
Skoardy Mar 28, 2014 @ 9:33pm 
One caveat I would suggest in regards to posting in the Concepts section - please only create a page there if your actually able to bring the idea to fruition. A lot of people are treating the Concepts section as some kind of dumping ground for any and every pie-in-the-sky game idea they get and it's basically having the same effect as the spam/troll posts. It's hard for actual developers to get noticed and rise above the noise of the never-gonna-happen games with 'concept artwork' stolen from somewhere on the web.
Smiths Chips Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:18pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
One caveat I would suggest in regards to posting in the Concepts section - please only create a page there if your actually able to bring the idea to fruition. A lot of people are treating the Concepts section as some kind of dumping ground for any and every pie-in-the-sky game idea they get and it's basically having the same effect as the spam/troll posts. It's hard for actual developers to get noticed and rise above the noise of the never-gonna-happen games with 'concept artwork' stolen from somewhere on the web.

Yeah, but I guess its hard to determine those that are "actual developers" and those that aren't - particularly when most of the so called "developers" on Greenlight do it independently in their own basements (which don't get me wrong - is still a really cool and as I mentioned in a previous comment, 'grassroots' way to do things!). Also, you seem to forget, like many successful authors, 99.9% of the time, ideas that "actual developers" have (particularly when first starting out) are "never-ganna-happen" ideas - You never know when that one in a million game idea will traspire into something great!
Last edited by Smiths Chips; Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:23pm
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 29, 2014 @ 1:00am 
Yeah I see your point Gorium, but there is no real reason why new game ideas couldn't be in the discussion area. The whole point of Greenlight is to develop new games from a grassroots level. I don't think that Greenlight should and was designed for already formed game ideas ONLY - it was also made to innovate and share ideas too.
I don't think that "developing games from a grassroot level" is the "whole point" as all threads started about making games together or looking for programmers, graphics and music artists etc are all locked and deleted. (whenever the mods get around to it)
And considering that the concept section is more than enough for that purpose it doesn't need to spread over into the regular discussion forum. you can discuss it on the concept pages discussion section.

I do however see your point with the difference between Concepts and Discussions and how ideas for games should be covered in Concepts rather than here, but I don't entirely agree with the fact that new game ideas can't be proposed in the Concept area before it has been formed into a completed idea.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "I don't agree with the fact that new game ideas can't be proposed in the Concept area before it has been formed into a complete idea". Who said that? and why is it a fact? Did Gabe or some mod say it?
It would probably be detremental to the first impressions given to anyone comes to look at the concept if it isn't fully formed and hinder any discussion and relevant feedback, but I don't see why you can't put up nonsense all the same?
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 29, 2014 @ 1:03am 

Yeah, but I guess its hard to determine those that are "actual developers" and those that aren't - particularly when most of the so called "developers" on Greenlight do it independently in their own basements
... Why are those in the basements not "actual developers? o.0
Also, you seem to forget, like many successful authors, 99.9% of the time, ideas that "actual developers" have (particularly when first starting out) are "never-ganna-happen" ideas - You never know when that one in a million game idea will traspire into something great!
I think you completley missed Skoardys point. I think he was trying to say don't post your idea in the hopes that someone else will pick it up. If you post an idea make sure you either have some prgramming ability or ahve enough cash to employ a programmer.
Skoardy Mar 29, 2014 @ 6:43am 
Yeah, but I guess its hard to determine those that are "actual developers" and those that aren't - particularly when most of the so called "developers" on Greenlight do it independently in their own basements (which don't get me wrong - is still a really cool and as I mentioned in a previous comment, 'grassroots' way to do things!). Also, you seem to forget, like many successful authors, 99.9% of the time, ideas that "actual developers" have (particularly when first starting out) are "never-ganna-happen" ideas - You never know when that one in a million game idea will traspire into something great!
As Gorlom says, I believe there's a difference between people who can actually make the game happen (read: developers) and individuals who believe they've got a really good idea but no way of actually making it happen (read: everyone else in the world). Like the adage about everyone having opinions goes, it's also true of ideas. Just coming up with an idea and waiting for someone else to eventually come along to make it happen doesn't make someone a developer.

I'm not making distinctions about the kinds of developers, just anyone who can take an game concept from idea all the way to final product. 'Ideas guys' aren't those people and having Concepts full of projects where someone describes some overblown, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink idea that sounds fantastic on paper, gets some idiots in comments drooling, then ends it with something along the lines of "I don't know how to make this happen, I just wanted the attention...", drowns out real games trying to get support.
Smiths Chips Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:21am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
As Gorlom says, I believe there's a difference between people who can actually make the game happen (read: developers) and individuals who believe they've got a really good idea but no way of actually making it happen (read: everyone else in the world). Like the adage about everyone having opinions goes, it's also true of ideas. Just coming up with an idea and waiting for someone else to eventually come along to make it happen doesn't make someone a developer.

I'm not making distinctions about the kinds of developers, just anyone who can take an game concept from idea all the way to final product. 'Ideas guys' aren't those people and having Concepts full of projects where someone describes some overblown, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink idea that sounds fantastic on paper, gets some idiots in comments drooling, then ends it with something along the lines of "I don't know how to make this happen, I just wanted the attention...", drowns out real games trying to get support.

Yeah fair point. I guess I'm just a bit more ideological.

Last edited by Smiths Chips; Mar 29, 2014 @ 7:23am
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2014 @ 10:28am