Steam Greenlight
Tauna 17 mar, 2014 @ 6:58
RPG Maker Games and Greenlight
Would a game made in RPG Maker be downvoted just because of that fact? I am considering producing a game using the engine as a basis for my game, but don't want to go to the effort just to be downvoted due to that.
< >
Visar 1-5 av 5 kommentarer
Skoardy 17 mar, 2014 @ 7:26 
There are hundreds and hundreds of free RPGMaker games already available all over the net so when yet another one using the default assets, terrible grammar/spelling, a cliché plot, dull over-sized, empty maps and schoolyard humour is submitted then people tend pick up on those rookie flaws and downvote it.

The effect you're seeing is that creating a bad game with RPGMaker is so very easy to do and the actual gems are being swamped.
C0untzer0 17 mar, 2014 @ 7:53 
If the first thing people think of is "generic RPGmaker assets" then of course they downvote.
If the first thought is "ooh, this looks interesting...." then they are less likely to reflex downvote.
It's really your choice.
Senast ändrad av C0untzer0; 17 mar, 2014 @ 7:53
Graeme 17 mar, 2014 @ 9:47 
Personally, I have never voted yes for one of them. I think they are largely trash.
They are overly simplistic, lacking game mechanics, and even ones that have been released on Steam suffer from broken, bad, or inconsistant gameplay.

They aren't worth the trouble.
amerk 17 mar, 2014 @ 10:25 
You could always find a child (if you don't have any of your own) and have them sell it for votes, much like that developer is doing for his own RM project Sydney World (or something like that). I mean, who could say no to a sweet innocent child and crush their dreams with a downvote?

In all seriousness, I've been playing rpg's since the very first final fantasy on the NES. I'm addicted to rpg's, and I still love the old 2D games versus the current 3D trend. RM is a great piece of software for me, since I can play as many of these games as I'd like, and I've played a crapload of RM games over the years (100s).

The thing is, though, I can recognize most RM games almost instantly, regardless of the polish being used. These games are all over the internet as freeware, and they're a dime a dozen. I would never pay for an RM game, not when so many free games comes off as even more polished and commercial worthy than some of the games being sold for profit.

In fact, youtube is chalk full of current commercial RM games (through longplays, reviews, LP's, etc), and I can't honestly say any of these impress upon me a need to own these games anymore than the free ones I have access to. Perhaps if there was ever a shortage of the free games, I'd consider buying the commercial ones, but until then probably not.

Putting that into perspective:

1. You have people like me that love 2D games, but have access to so many it makes no sense to buy a single RM game that looks and plays like the countless others we already have.

2. You have people who despise the old 2D games and want something with better resolution (of which RM is only capable of going up to 640x480), better graphics, 3D, more advanced features, etc. In these regards, RM is very limited (especially in resolution and it can't do 3D).

3. Then you have people who hate rpg's in general, or at least the kind of rpg's that RM is capable of producing (primarily jrpg's).

Of those remaining that you can get a yes vote from, they're watching to see if it looks like any of the other countless RM games that have flooded the gates recently. Chances are high if there's anything that resembles the RM editor (at least for the RTP), they're going to downvote it.

This isn't meant to discourage you, but it should tell you that to succeed in getting an RM game through Greenlight, you really need to market the hell out of the game (especially outside of GL), you need to bring in a lot of fans who will support and vote for the game, and you need to have a product that's customized and doesn't rely on the defaults.
Suicida 17 mar, 2014 @ 10:34 
bua todos en ingles tas q entiendo algo
< >
Visar 1-5 av 5 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 17 mar, 2014 @ 6:58