Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
14 Hours Productions Mar 12 @ 11:31am
Looking for constructive criticism on Greenlight pages
Greetings!

This is mostly about the theory of trying to have the best looking page possible.

I assume everyone here has spent some time browsing greenlight, as have I. What grabs your attention? Is there anything that can go on the greenlight that is sure to get your vote or at least make you give it a chance?

Also, does anyone know how to put images directly into the description. I saw a few that did that but for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your time fellow humans!

P.S: I originally spelled criticism wrong in the subject line, like a hero.
Last edited by 14 Hours Productions; Mar 12 @ 12:04pm
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
wilco64256 Mar 12 @ 11:53am 
Here's your first bit of feedback - it's generally frowned upon to post about your own project in this forum. You have your own forum on your game's project page for that, and nearly everyone who frequents this forum will already see (or already did see) your project. Those who have seen it have already voted and/or left feedback there, and those who have yet to see it will do so when they get to it. If every project creator made a thread about their game here it would be insanely chaotic in this forum.
14 Hours Productions Mar 12 @ 12:05pm 
Fair enough! Deleted that bit. Was rude of me, you're right. I wasn't thinking. Thanks for pointing it out.
Skoardy Mar 12 @ 12:51pm 
Things I dislike...

- Scrolling past masses of images in the description, doubly so when they're basically just the screenshots or concept art again. (or section headers pointlessly done in a fancy graphical style).
- Animated gifs for screenshots, doubly so when it's the cover image. If I wanted to see your game in motion, I'll check out your video. Giving me a 500k image instead of a 10k image doesn't endear me.
- Gushing endorsements from nobodies. So you're basically bragging about someone liking your game. Yay? What are you going for there? Peer pressure? I have to like it because these people do? Bad enough but when it's from some obscure five-visitors-a-week indie website or some random friend of yours, I care even less.
- Expired successful KS widgets. When they've expired long before the page was put up, it just feels like that whole bragging/peer pressure thing again. "All these people threw money at this thing! How dare you vote 'no'!".
- Overly 'cute' descriptions. Unless you're 100% positive (really, really, really sure) that you're a bit of an accomplish word-smith, stick to the facts. Filling the description with jokey lines and fluff is just cringeworthy when it's badly done.
- Too many screenshots. If you've got a set that shows different aspects of your game, great. If you've got a set that shows basically the same thing over and over again, your game is going to come off as shallow and repetitive as well.
- Dev bios. When I visit the page, I'm interested in the game, not that two teenagers cracked the game out in under 24hrs during the 'AmDevJam' festival with little to no sleep. Usually age and how little time has been spent on the game are used as excuses as to why it's so lousy.
14 Hours Productions Mar 12 @ 1:22pm 
Gushing endorsements from nobodies, and dev bios seem epically weird things to have up on Steam Greenlight. As you said, it seems it should probably get to the point faster and that stuff should be on some other site.

I like a few images in the descriptions myself, to many can be annoying though. I don't want the description itself to get longer than two pages.
Strategy Player Jun 4 @ 5:50pm 
I have gone through 1289 games already.

I look on the middle right of the page and see what type(s) of game it is, puzzle, rpg, etc. etc. etc. If it isn't a category I want I skip it, go to next. Nothing you can do here. Of course if you label a game as "Every" category that will not fly with me either.

I hate unfinished projects, I hate seeing developers tell me oh well this really isn't the way it is going to be or going to play after they have shown me something already. Pre Pre Pre Alpha or just design concepts. I hate blaring rock music or a youtube video screaming at me as if that helps me read better. I hate advertisements inside of your game idea page, paid google ads, etc etc etc. I hate looking at a list of comments that are 4 or 5 or 6 days long and not 1 comment being made in that long a time frame by a developer or someone involved with the game.

The games that I voted yes on are mostly finished, meaning they actual work to a greater degree. They might be beta with a few bugs. The games that I voted for shown comments from both developers and players on steam. The games that I voted for had a video, or better yet actual gameplay in a video and 4 or 5 screenshots, hopefully showing me what you do while in game playing.

You are asking paying customers who already own games to stop playing their games and come on over and look at your product. You are asking paying customers to buy your game in the future, near future not years out.
C0untzer0 Jun 5 @ 12:42am 
Originally posted by 14 Hours Productions:
I assume everyone here has spent some time browsing greenlight, as have I.
1. NEVER make assumptions about your target audience.

What grabs your attention?
All sorts of things, for good or ill.
A developer asking for pity votes (e.g. "I'm 12 years old and this is my first game, please support") always gets my attention, I vote "No" on those, just like when somebody says "but hey, it's free, and less than 100 megs!" If the best thing you can say to recommend a game is also true of adware, then again, I vote "No".
2. Make a game that stands on merit, that you are confident is worth the cost of a Pepsi.

Is there anything that can go on the greenlight that is sure to get your vote or at least make you give it a chance?
A well-made game with original features in a style I like.

Also, does anyone know how to put images directly into the description. I saw a few that did that but for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to do it.
And I can't figure out why. There's a place for pictures, if I have to scroll through them again where there should be information, I'm gonna be ♥♥♥♥ed off by the time I reach the end and make my decision.
Qon Jun 5 @ 4:17am 
If you have a lot of text in your description then you might be able to structure up your text and make it easier to find the important sections with image headers. Don't do anything obnoxious. No big images, no animated gifs and so on. The markup is really limited so it's ok in some cases to use image headers sparingly. Instead of relying on image headers, first qonsider simplifying your description and shortening it down. The problem might be bad writing instead of limited markup...

If your video doesn't explain and show your gameplay then it's less than useless. I hate watching a long video that shows of music, animation, theme, gameplay, features, pacing and so on worse than a single screenshot. Somehow a lot of people are exeptionally great at wasting peoples time with videos that are so uninformative that it would be impossible to do a video that is any worse at all.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 12 @ 11:31am