Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Gain access to the (Windows Only) level editor that the Young Horses used to create Octodad: Dadliest Catch. Create your own ridiculous levels and challenges to share with others.
Meer informatie
 Dit topic is vastgepind, dus het is waarschijnlijk belangrijk
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 7 mrt 2014 om 20:20
Octodad Editor Feature Request Thread
At the moment we are concentrating on fixing some issues with story levels and finishing off our PS4 launch, but we plan on devoting a lot more attention to Workshop by improving the editor as well as making our own content.

If you are working on content, I'd love to hear what features you would appreciate having. (Do be aware, though, that not everything is possible or feasible.)
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
I can not always tell if an end level trigger was properly activated while testing in-editor as it just continues playing the level. While it makes sense for it to be like that, and I could always bring the trigger up into view and see if I triggered it, some sort of notification might be useful. Perhaps in the log window. An option to show the ID of what triggers you trigger as you trigger them in the log window might be nice, especially if they change a gamestate in some way.

Not sure how possible it would be, but some visual indication of which direction and how forcevolumes are pushing so you can easily tell at a glance what they are doing could be useful, but it is not really necessary. Not too sure how you might accomplish that if it is even possible.

Though there are already links to it on the workshop page, if there is not already a link to http://www.octodadgame.com/workshop in the editor itself it could be added perhaps under the Help menu.

Outside of the editor, custom sounds and custom textures are the most commonly added things to custom maps. While textures are relatively simple, it's not quite as simple to learn FMOD just to add a few sounds. While I was learning about it myself, I thought that a small sample file with some templates and/or a few different types of sounds from the game already hooked up could possibly be useful so people could just plug in their own audio. Without knowing more about FMOD I do not know how feasible that might be to create nor how actually useful it would be. Or you could just direct users to the Content/Audio folder so they can have a look at how yours are set up.

That's basically all I can think of off the top of my head, other than lofty dreams of custom ties...
Laatst bewerkt door Sliferjam; 7 mrt 2014 om 21:32
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 7 mrt 2014 om 21:46 
Yup, definitely want to simplify custom sounds. FMOD has support for it, but I have not written support in our editor for designers since we had exclusively used the designer tool.

I will add a log entry explicitly for ending a level. There is currently an option in Options, Log Trigger Events, that will log all triggers. Otherwise, if you pause the game while playing in editor, you can view realtime values for objects that have unique IDs by clicking on them in the tree.

Visual indication is probably not too difficult to add for force volumes.

We'll see about custom ties. I'd like to do more with costume abilities in general, but that's a summer project for sure...
I see the Log Trigger Events now. Very helpful. I'm loving all of the support. You guys are great.
Could you make something like «Reload texture/mesh»? Because for now I have to change MeshFileName to something like «1Content/smth.obj» and then back to normal to reload mesh. But I can't reload textures with this way, they're non-reloadable. Well, I know it's a very specific thing but making many files (like Tex.dds, Tex2.dds, Tex3.dds) for testing one single texture is not very convenient.

Or at least would be great to see a thing for rotating to fixed angle. I mean, hold shift to rotate a object 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, 90, etc. degrees.
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 6 aug 2014 om 11:56 
You can rotate around an object by selecting it, holding left CTRL and using the mouse.

I'm not so sure about texture/mesh reloading because of the way the graphics engine is setup, it caches the memory location of textures. If a texture is reloaded, I would need to unload the previous texture and change all the locations where it is used. But, I can't easily guarantee that in code, so if I miss something and it comes across an outdated texture reference it will crash. Texture reloading is probably more possible than mesh reloading, though.

I'd love to implement a fix, but in meantime we decided to just work around it. I'm not sure when it might become priority.
Oh, it's clear...

But about rotating, I meant something else: when I turn a object using rotate tool I can't turn it at the perfect angle like 45°. I know I can set the perfect rotation in attributes by hand, but would be great if angle would automatically snap to perfect angles like 0, 22.5, 45 while shift is held.
And sorry for my English...
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 6 aug 2014 om 13:22 
Ah, I see.
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 6 aug 2014 om 14:02 
I've found a way to get texture refreshing working that is probably safe for the most part...so perhaps at least that will make its way in.
Something I'd really like to see is the controlMeshBone animator being updated in the editor without having to preview the level. I think it would make animating existing models using the controlMeshBone animator a lot more convenient.
Luthyr  [ontwikkelaar] 10 3 nov 2014 om 19:03 
I will see what I can do.
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
Per pagina: 1530 50