The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
dnahacker13 Mar 1 @ 6:35pm
skyrim crash to desktop need help asap
can someone help stop my skyrim from crashing to desktop i have done the following so far
done 2 computer full restores
found my missing skyrimprefs.ini. and slyrim.esm files
ive adjusted my audio
disabled steam cloud and steams in game interference
closed out every other application but skyrim
adjusted my screen and resolution
cleaning the game files with test edit
removing all mods
removing all mods and nexus mod manager
reinstalling skyrim close to 100 times
verifying the game in which it says one file is missing but it wont replace or tell me what it is
tried the unofficial patchs
tried every load order possibility
used boss to setup my load order
and playing the game with all dlc's off and still no luck
my copy of skyrim worked fine before windows 8.1 came out and after that ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan i even restored my pc to get it back to windows 8 with no luck of getting the game to work
its not my video card either i know i checked and updated the drivers on it and every part of laptop so everything is up to date
is there anything i can do to fix this ive been trying to get this t work for the past month and im at my wits end
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Adura 1 Mar 1 @ 7:50pm 
couple things:
1) Most of what you tried is not likely to have had any effect.

2) Consistent crashes is almost always a mod problem (or an OS problem.)

3) Even if you remove all mods, they can very likely have imprinted something onto your save file to make it crash often.

4) It is inadvisable to use Tes5Edit on Skyrim.esm.

Here's the best way to restore your game to a clean, hopefully crash free state.

1) Uninstall Skyrim via steam.
2) DELETE THE SKYRIM FOLDER. The steam uninstall doesn't get everything.
3) Reinstall skyrim from scratch.
4) (Optional: get the newest SKSE. It has a memory allocation tool that should make Skyrim more stable. Skip this if you're suspicious of SKSE.)
5) Start the game, but start as a new save. Your current save files may be contaminated.

Other following options:
6) If your game works fine after the first 5 steps, it was most likely a corrupted save file caused by bad mods.
7) If (6) is true, then you may start reinstating mods. Be careful, and avoid any mods that might have caused your previous problem.
7b) There will be a papyrus log in your documents, in a lil' Skyrim folder (where they keep saves). It will list errors that occur while playing the game. They might help you find out what causes your crashes. (note: I use 100 mods atm, it's a stable setup, and I get about 40 kbs per hour played for my papyrus logs. If you play for 1 hour and find a 2 mb file, something is horribly wrong.)

Hope this helps a bit ^_^;;
dnahacker13 Mar 1 @ 8:39pm 
thanks and im giving it a try now, and now to wait 3 to 4 hours to see if this works
jjb-54 1 Mar 1 @ 9:14pm 
Also -

UNcheck HighRez Texture 1/3 - 2/3 - 3/3 if you have them in your Data File - when you open the Skyrim Launcher Icon. (I cannot tell you how many times this has been the issue with a lot (no not all - but still a lot of users. They did not think this could be a problem, I mean it's included, right? Uncheck and see if that helps.)

Check your mods to see if they NEED and/or WILL NOT WORK with any DLC's you have.

Also check to see if you if you need SKSE - SkyUI - Unlimited Bookshelves - and other 2nd party Mods.

Also go to:

<dir>:\My Games\Skyrim\

Create a "HOLDING" directory and MOVE ALL FILES in this directory to the "holding directory" - Move do not copy. There is a chance your saved game is corrupted.
Last edited by jjb-54; Mar 1 @ 9:15pm
dnahacker13 Mar 1 @ 9:16pm 
thanks and what i plan to do is see if it runs with no mods, then skse and skyui then ill slowly test it with mods again
dnahacker13 Mar 1 @ 10:23pm 
did not work
Adura 1 Mar 1 @ 11:16pm 
Did you make sure to start a new game?

describe the nature of your crashes.

are they in-game? Do they happen while loading/saving? Do freezes happen first? Does it happen when going to new/different areas? Does it only happen outdoors? While running around? During combat?

What is your computers ram?
dnahacker13 Mar 2 @ 5:18am 
6 gigs of ram
i deleted every last skyrim file before the reinstall so i had to make a new character
the game minimizes to desktop right before i get to make a new charachter
jjb-54 1 Mar 2 @ 8:46am 
Okay, at this point it seems you need to just start over.

A. Did you delete Skyrim or UN-install via the game's (DVD) option?

... If you just 'deleted' it. I know some players found that that does NOT work. As the Uninstall has command/protocols of files that need to be removed and also in the Windows - .ini - .dll - Windows Registry and such.

B. Now that the game was UN-installed - did you re-install into the same directory?

... I would strongly suggest (from a few bad experiences of my own :( ) that you re-install in a new directory:

... [color=yellow]I would also at this point strongly suggest that you un-install Steam as well - (from a few bad experiences own again, Skyrim related) and put the whole thing into a New Directory.[\color]

[[u][color=red]Do NOT allow it to install in the:[/color]

C:\Program Files\ .. (directory. Give it a root file folder of its own.)

IE: <drive>:\Steam\ (and Steam will then put Skyrim into it's Sub-folder).

... Yes a royal pain in the butt ... I know, been there done that a 'few' times. ....

Now also make sure, again that you goto

<drive>:\My Games\Skryim

Then depending on Skse or not:

<drive>:\My Games\Skryim\Saves
<drive>:\My Games\Skryim\SKSE

In this SKRYIM folder where you find the above. Make a folder:

<drive>:\My Games\Skryim\HOLDING (if you have not done so already) and MOVE ALL FILES and FOLDERS into this directory. So that when it's done all you should see is:

<drive>:\My Games\Skryim\HOLDING > and NOTHING else. No other folders or .ini or txt files ..

Now when this is all done; Steam is re-installed and Skyrim is re-installed.

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT load any MOD's or SKSE and such. The only things that should be loaded and installed is Skyrim and your DLC's.

NOTHING ELSE. (Make sure that everything else is UNCHECKED - even the High REZ 1/3 - 2/3 - 3/3. Nothing else is active but the base game and DLC's.

Now run the game and see if it works, or not?

Let us know and then we will go to the next steps pending the outcome.

I feel your frustrations, as I've 'been here' a few times from different reasons that were my fault and not my fault ... so I understand the frustration, I really do.
dnahacker13 Mar 2 @ 8:59am 
you guys have been the most helpful group yet so i thank you and how things are going i probably could just build my own skyrim soon enough lol
dnahacker13 Mar 2 @ 9:01am 
also i delted all files manualy then did steams unistall then ran a system check to remove every last trace
Adura 1 Mar 2 @ 9:16am 
Well, this is troubling.

A clean install should fix any problem with the game itself.

I'm lead to think this is an OS problem. I've heard a lot of...bad things about Skyrim's interactions with windows 8 and 8.1

Here's a thread that might help: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1024421-windows-81-killed-skyrim-nmm/

But since I run windows 7, I wouldn't know how to help if it is the OS causing problems.
dnahacker13 Mar 2 @ 9:23am 
well it worked fine on windows 8 for me orginally and i guess worst case ill have to go out and get windows 7
jjb-54 1 Mar 2 @ 9:24am 
Did you put in (installed) into a new directory? I had a problem and that cured it. Just a suggestion.
Adura 1 Mar 2 @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by dnahacker13:
well it worked fine on windows 8 for me orginally and i guess worst case ill have to go out and get windows 7
Maybe see if reverting back to windows 8 helps. Most threads I've seen say that windows 8.1 causes more trouble.
dnahacker13 Mar 2 @ 9:29am 
im runing windows 8 now, and yes i did skyrims down;pading now
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 1 @ 6:35pm