Steam Greenlight
Jmaeson 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:05
What game engine would you recommend for a open world game?
/\
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 27 comentarios
MAHツ 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:13 
Try UNITY! :)

http://unity3d.com/
AusSkiller 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:14 
Entirely depends on the type of open world game, the size of the world, the experience of your developers, multi-player requirements, target platform and budget. Choosing a good engine for a game can be a complicated process to get right.
Jmaeson 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:38 
Publicado originalmente por Hempy Do'Herben:
Try UNITY! :)

http://unity3d.com/
i tryed that, its just the graphical limitations of that engine that puts me off :D
Jmaeson 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:39 
Publicado originalmente por AusSkiller:
Entirely depends on the type of open world game, the size of the world, the experience of your developers, multi-player requirements, target platform and budget. Choosing a good engine for a game can be a complicated process to get right.
i agree, its just that im the only Dev :D
AusSkiller 27 FEB 2014 a las 8:09 
Publicado originalmente por Jim70:
i tryed that, its just the graphical limitations of that engine that puts me off :D
If the graphical limitations of Unity put you off then to my knowledge the only other option would be CryEngine, Unity is a rather graphically impressive engine and CryEngine is the only other licensable engine I know of that with at least that level of graphics fidelity. Also if you are the only developer then forget about making a game with that level of graphics anyway, it takes professional artists months just to create a handful of assets at that level of graphics fidelity, to create a whole game like that by yourself you'd be looking at 50+ years of development.
wilco64256 27 FEB 2014 a las 8:22 

If Unity doesn't have enough power to satisfy your graphical desires as a single developer, you either don't understand the engine or you will never finish your game. Unity is pretty close to top of the line when it comes to graphical capabilities and anything more powerful would realistically be more than a single person dev team could handle.
Jmaeson 27 FEB 2014 a las 9:19 
Publicado originalmente por wilco64256:

If Unity doesn't have enough power to satisfy your graphical desires as a single developer, you either don't understand the engine or you will never finish your game. Unity is pretty close to top of the line when it comes to graphical capabilities and anything more powerful would realistically be more than a single person dev team could handle.

thats why i use udk :D(note to self... stop the smily faces...)
Jmaeson 27 FEB 2014 a las 9:24 

oh yes, and i forgot to mention that ill be working with some other people sooner or later.
MAHツ 27 FEB 2014 a las 12:35 

+1

Check out Shroud Of The Avatar http://shroudoftheavatar.com a game by the creator of (Ultima) Lord British, Richard Garriot. They are using Unity exclusively for the entire project and if Richard Garriot can use it to make open world rpgs you can aswell. If you got the skill and knowledge, Unity has the power.
Última edición por MAHツ; 27 FEB 2014 a las 12:36
Graeme 27 FEB 2014 a las 14:26 
You could try Unreal...
IhaveNOName 27 FEB 2014 a las 20:21 
i dont know -.-
AusSkiller 27 FEB 2014 a las 21:59 
Publicado originalmente por Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
You could try Unreal...
Unreal isn't really suitable for open world games, it's designed more for discrete levels.
Graeme 27 FEB 2014 a las 22:02 
You could try Unreal...
Unreal isn't really suitable for open world games, it's designed more for discrete levels.
True, though if he is looking for a more visually capable engine it would be one of the better ones. It would(should) be possible to create a sort of open world game with Unreal, though you're right, it's not the ideal software. Leadwerks may also be a viable option, though I have never used it myself.
AusSkiller 27 FEB 2014 a las 22:09 
True, though if he is looking for a more visually capable engine it would be one of the better ones. It would(should) be possible to create a sort of open world game with Unreal, though you're right, it's not the ideal software. Leadwerks may also be a viable option, though I have never used it myself.
Perhaps UE4 might be visually capable but I don't think that is really available yet, and UE3 is very dated most engines are easily capable of matching UE3's graphics if not surpassing them.

Edit: Though I suppose if you pay for the source for UE3 you can modify it to do some fairly impressive graphics.

Edit2: My opinions of the UE3 were based on an older version of it and much of it no longer holds true.
Última edición por AusSkiller; 28 FEB 2014 a las 15:34
Graeme 27 FEB 2014 a las 22:17 
Perhaps UE4 might be visually capable but I don't think that is really available yet, and UE3 is very dated most engines are easily capable of matching UE3's graphics if not surpassing them.

UE3 is quite capable of handling beautiful visuals. Bioshock Infinite, Remember Me, and countless other games[www.unrealengine.com] have stunning visuals and were made with UE3. UE3 is not a weak engine by any means, nor are it's visuals are dated.

Hardly any other free download engines can even compare to Unreal. The one downside to Unreal is the massive chunk of profits it takes(>25% I believe?) though that is the price you pay for an engine available to the public, which can be used for any project with ease.
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 27 comentarios
Por página: 1530 50

Publicado el: 27 FEB 2014 a las 7:05