Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 22, 2014 @ 11:23am
Greenlight needs a Demo-button
A shiny new button so we can click on it and install right away into our library under /greenlight/demos (make that library a little more interactive Valve, and don't forget Big Picture implementation!)
Any dev dreaming of being greenlit would be happy to work that extra time and I'm sure they already have one ready, but of course it's up to Valve.
I personally want any Dev with an uploaded demo to shine on top of searches/promotions.
This would help EVERYONE: devs with a beta who already have a demo or working on it, devs with alpha but don't want to be downed by immediate harsh exposure, devs with concepts (make it similar to amnesia fortnight )- just bringing ideas to the masses.
And it will help the voters the most, because Gameplay over everything that's why.

Greenlight going down would be a shame, it can mean a loss of beginning genius in the gaming industry.
Please support if you like this idea or want to add more ideas.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Skoardy Feb 22, 2014 @ 12:44pm 
Originally posted by èchten val saint lambert:
Greenlight going down would be a shame, it can mean a loss of beginning genius in the gaming industry.
I don't know where you're getting the idea it's going away. It may evolve into something else but indie devs aren't suddenly going to lose access to Steam distribution.
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 22, 2014 @ 1:19pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
I don't know where you're getting the idea it's going away. It may evolve into something else but indie devs aren't suddenly going to lose access to Steam distribution.
I'm getting that idea from every "next page" I load in this discussion forum: there's at least 1 topic about the ending of greenlight, in fact some of it talks about confirmation of that part.
I can't say that is true, but I know when something gets viral and just an idea going viral might be enough, so i kinda fear for that.
Outside influences like the jimquisition or further thoughts on totalbisquits' idea of early access might strenghten that idea.
Skoardy Feb 22, 2014 @ 3:29pm 
Yeah, I'm not big on clickbait Youtubers and rumours are just that, no matter how many chumps like to repeat them. Greenlight was always going to change, we've known this for over a year. Whatever clown convinced you that indie devs wouldn't be able to publish is someone you should probably stop listening to, though.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 22, 2014 @ 4:18pm 
Greenlight isnt really moderated activly by Valve (they investigate reports but don't really do anything unless that happens). I'm not sure how Valve would feel about having to go about hosting demos for unapproved games or bother with verifying that there is no malicious code in the demo software of said games.
It jsut sounds like you're expectign too much.
AusSkiller Feb 22, 2014 @ 9:16pm 
Any dev dreaming of being greenlit would be happy to work that extra time and I'm sure they already have one ready, but of course it's up to Valve.
I personally want any Dev with an uploaded demo to shine on top of searches/promotions.
This would help EVERYONE: devs with a beta who already have a demo or working on it, devs with alpha but don't want to be downed by immediate harsh exposure, devs with concepts (make it similar to amnesia fortnight )- just bringing ideas to the masses.
And it will help the voters the most, because Gameplay over everything that's why.
No, demos are quite bad for developers and it would be unfair to force developers to waste time making one, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY
Agree
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 23, 2014 @ 2:26am 
Originally posted by AusSkiller:
No, demos are quite bad for developers and it would be unfair to force developers to waste time making one, watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

Nobody's forced, if you have a demo you just get more exposure, because it's common sense if you went trough the trouble to make one.
EC brings up valid points, but they focus on the 360 and ps3 market, what casual gamers think is easy to predict. Greenlight however is tucked away, and only adventurous gamers wander these parts, plus they have the capacity to actually participate into feedback, a demo won't be shot down immediately.
Btw demos can be betas too you know, Papers Please won me over like that.
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 23, 2014 @ 2:59am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Greenlight isnt really moderated activly by Valve (they investigate reports but don't really do anything unless that happens). I'm not sure how Valve would feel about having to go about hosting demos for unapproved games or bother with verifying that there is no malicious code in the demo software of said games.
It jsut sounds like you're expectign too much.

A demo-button is too much expectation when Valve builds its own OS and controller?
Really good argument about the malicious code. The demo doesn't have to be hosted by Steam, also the implementation into the library shouldn't be much of a problem since you're already able to start any program through the steam library (harmful programs included).
Skoardy Feb 23, 2014 @ 4:45am 
A demo-button is too much expectation when Valve builds its own OS and controller? :dewstare:
Really good argument about the malicious code. The demo doesn't have to be hosted by Steam, also the implementation into the library shouldn't be much of a problem since you're already able to start any program through the steam library (harmful programs included).
But it being in the library by Valve's doing would imply their responsibility and support. It's bad enough that any old game can send people off to shady sites to download who knows what but having it show up in your library thanks to a feature Valve implements would seem like endorsement. It'd give entirely the wrong impression and could possibly make Valve liable should anything happen.
tgpolonio Feb 23, 2014 @ 5:31am 
i really think this is a good idea, because if we can try a little of the game, even if it's only about 5 minutes, it will help us to aprove or not the game
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 23, 2014 @ 8:00am 
Originally posted by tgpolonio:
i really think this is a good idea, because if we can try a little of the game, even if it's only about 5 minutes, it will help us to aprove or not the game
I think you misunderstand the suggestion. It's not to make every game have a demo but to make it easier for the games that does have demos to show them to you.

Althought for some reason you will not be downloading it from Steam per the suggestion :S? so I don't understand what difference it will do from following a manually made link by the author on their greenlight project page...
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 23, 2014 @ 8:21am 
A demo-button is too much expectation when Valve builds its own OS and controller?
But it being in the library by Valve's doing would imply their responsibility and support. It's bad enough that any old game can send people off to shady sites to download who knows what but having it show up in your library thanks to a feature Valve implements would seem like endorsement. It'd give entirely the wrong impression and could possibly make Valve liable should anything happen.

True. How about this: Valve only allows 1 software-host + add a disclaimer you're downloading from a 3rd party site. As it is now youtube is used for streaming so why not use a trusted 3rd party host for downloading?
Using only 1 download site even helps getting rid of possible harmful links in the descriptions.
Maybe use Desura ...

★☆☆☆☆ Feb 23, 2014 @ 9:23am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Althought for some reason you will not be downloading it from Steam per the suggestion :S? so I don't understand what difference it will do from following a manually made link by the author on their greenlight project page...

I was hoping that demos for greenlight games would be downloaded directly from Steam, however I can see that would be difficult considering the needed manpower for controlling the content.
I'm still behind it though because of well-deserved exposure the game would get. Imagine your Steam library has a seperate greenlight folder stacked with demos/betas: i would certainly give it a go. And instead of "Store page" you can visit "Greenlight Page", to vote or mention bugs.
I guess I'm all about the The Ant and the Grasshopper.
Skoardy Feb 23, 2014 @ 12:26pm 
True. How about this: Valve only allows 1 software-host + add a disclaimer you're downloading from a 3rd party site. As it is now youtube is used for streaming so why not use a trusted 3rd party host for downloading?
Using only 1 download site even helps getting rid of possible harmful links in the descriptions.
Maybe use Desura ...
It's not where you're getting it from that'd be the major concern, it'd be what you're getting. Even if not intentionally malicious, Valve would be appearing to endorse every single executable from any wannabe developer on the system. No amount of disclaimers would stop people from assuming that because it's all tied into the Steam system, it has somehow been vetted for problems. Heck, look at Early Access and the idiots who can't seem to wrap their head around that concept without whining about the games being unfinished.
★☆☆☆☆ Feb 23, 2014 @ 12:36pm 
Maybe use Desura ...
It's not where you're getting it from that'd be the major concern, it'd be what you're getting. Even if not intentionally malicious, Valve would be appearing to endorse every single executable from any wannabe developer on the system. No amount of disclaimers would stop people from assuming that because it's all tied into the Steam system, it has somehow been vetted for problems. Heck, look at Early Access and the idiots who can't seem to wrap their head around that concept without whining about the games being unfinished.

By that logic Valve appears to be the main culprit in Garry: Day One.

< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 22, 2014 @ 11:23am