Portal 2

Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Learn More
【Tutorial / Experience】Custom sound not working?Watch this !
I've long been angry with ambient_generic and custom sound problems.It just seems like everything goes right but the sound won't play,showing some error in the dev console.Now finally I solved the problem and just want to share the experience with you guys ~
OK I'm not going to teach you how to link a trigger_once with an ambient_generic here...
First make sure you copy the file into the portal 2/portal 2/sound/ambient/abc.wav (for instance).Then in the ambient_generic,sound name,browse and select the "ambient/abc.wav" (if not showing that wave,click refresh button).Then edit the flags on your own purpose and link it with an input like trigger_once correctly. (PS:The sound can only be a wav)
If you run map and copy it into /maps and play it,the sound is most likely not to play.So now we need a Pakrat,which can pak custom stuff to .bsp. Here's where I got it : http://www.bagthorpe.org/bob/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html .
There is also a readme.txt showing how to use pakrat.
Basically it should be,open a bsp in pakrat,click scan,select your gamedir folder first (should be portal 2/portal 2),click scan in that dialog,then comes the custom files showing up with colors.Find the red ones which means the custom file is on disk and not pakked,in this case like abc.wav -- on disk (with red color).Select it,click add selected,the abc.wav should be added and appears blue.Left top File --> Save Bsp.Copy the bsp in /maps and play it and you should hear your sound,even it's a scream from your own throat.
It turns out that it's no the problem of freq,bit depth...Also note that don't make the volume too low.It's lower ingame (once causing me not hearing the sound and thought the pakrat won't work).
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
not-paradiser 23 Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:03am 
To check if you link your trigger_once and ambient_generic right,here's a way.Before pakking,enter game with the map.Walked to the trigger_once area and find the sound not played.At this moment,open the dev console.There should be some error message indicating the sound couldn't be played .Like this one
S_StartSound(): Failed to load sound 'ambient\echo.wav'. File is missing from disk/repository.
Since you did trigger the sound but the sound is not able to be played.
If it's not linked right there may be no message like this.
Gemarakup 31 Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:31am 
Why not snd_rebuildaudiocach?
iAndy 11 Feb 18, 2014 @ 8:09pm 
You can use mp3s.. I use them all the time.
not-paradiser 23 Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:55pm 
since not everyone know this command and not everyone is willing to type it before playing the map...
Originally posted by Gemarakup:
Why not snd_rebuildaudiocach?
not-paradiser 23 Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:56pm 
Originally posted by iAndy:
You can use mp3s.. I use them all the time.
really?i totally avoid them cause i heard about a lot of failure with mp3...i ll try that out~
Gemarakup 31 Feb 19, 2014 @ 7:05am 
No, there aren't problems with mp3s, but wav is preferable.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 18, 2014 @ 10:58am